Chick Lit Book Club discussion

Lipstick Jungle
This topic is about Lipstick Jungle
2007-2008 Book Archive > 10/2007: Lipstick Jungle: Chapters 5-8

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:09PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ashley Jump in when ready :)

message 2: by Meredith (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:16PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Meredith Watson Got through chapter 8 last night. Victory is still my favorite. I feel like I dont really know much about Nico and we're halfway through the book. Wendy and Shane annoy me. I've only read one other Candace Bushnell book (4 blondes) and I dont remember caring for it much either. I thought I'd give her another chance here but am not feeling much better about her. It's a shame because although I never read Sex and the City, I absolutely love the show.

message 3: by Sheila (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Sheila I don’t care for this book very much either. The women are all very self-centered and annoying and I really dislike the relationship Nico and Wendy have with their husbands. Nico is under the impression that as long as she doesn’t think about her husband while she is cheating on him it’s okay, and Wendy actually states on page 17 that she feels “a sickly sweet rush of love for him” because Shane is “just so good-looking and so sexy”. If that is the only thing she likes about him I’m surprised their marriage has lasted as long as it has.

I’m trying to keep an open mind though as I’m only on chapter 8. I just don’t identify with any of the characters, and I don’t really want to either.

message 4: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ashley I am having a harder time getting into this book as well... Usually I can't put a book down, but so far I don't care for the characters as much as I'd like... I hope it gets better...

As I've read more... I am more into reading this book, however, even though things are happening with the characters, I don't feel like they are growing and that the book has a point to it...

message 5: by Denise (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Denise | 12 comments What was up with the opening of Chapter 7?! It's like Bushnell channeled Helen Fielding for 5 paragraphs...the head-jumping in this book is making me a little crazy...

message 6: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:30PM) (new) - added it

Jessica (jessmorgan03) In the first set of chapters I find myself confused on who she was talking about (meaning what their story/background was). I kept having to refer to the flap of the book for each character's bio. Still having a bit of an issue with it. I have read other books about 3 or 4 characters that tell you their story from their perspective (namely Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner) but it was so much easier to keep them separated in my mind because of the way the story was written. Bushnell doesn't seem to have that ability with this story. I agree with you Ashley that normally I can't put a book down, but at times this one is hard to PICK up. I tried to read Sex and the City and couldn't get through half of it...it didn't help that I tried to read it after the show had come on. I expected it to be the same and it's not. Maybe the show based on this book will be better?!

message 7: by Sally (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sally Ellingson The first Candace Bushnell book that I ever read was Sex and the City. It jumped around a lot, but I forced myself through it because I loved the show so much and wanted to know more about the inspiration for it. I felt accomplished when I finally got through it. Since then I have read and reread several of her books and really like them now. In my opinion Lipstick Jungle was the best of her books at developing the characters and keeping the different plots seperate. But maybe that is just because I am used to her style now. Also, many of the background characters are characters in her other books, so if you have read them all you have a better feeling for the whole scenario. I like her books not because I identify with the characters, but just like with Sex and the City tv series, it is interesting to get a peek at lives so different from mine and wonder if that is really how it would be.

Jencey/ (Jencey) | 410 comments I still feel this book is an easy read. I haven't had trouble following the characters. I agree with above comment that Victory is my favorite character. I like the Shane character from the TV show better. I find myself wanting to tell the one in the book to grow up and except responsibility or tell Wendy to stop coming to his rescue all the time. I don't know that I would read the earlier books . I am tempted to see how her new one Fifth Avenue. Most writers should show a progression in their writing at least I hope.