Indian Writing and Indian Literature discussion

What's the favourite Indian writer's novel, any reccomendations?!

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veena Regit (new)

Veena Regit | 3 comments I have not read much of books by Indian authors :)
And I want to start reading some. So, if anyone has any suggestions apart from - Jhumpa Lahiri [ she is of course in my read-list:]
- Arundhati Roy [ To-re ad list:]

I will really appreciate that :)

Thanks

message 2: by Sudeshna (new)

Sudeshna | 8 comments Hi Veena,
I'd love to suggest Gita Mehta. You could start with her book 'A River Sutra'. It is a beautifully-written, musical book. It has stories around the river Narmada and consists of myths, legends, modern day stories...all around the river. I really like it. :). Jhumpa Lahiri's Namesake is another good one. I still have to get my hands on 'Unaccustomed Earth'. Then there is R K Narayan, Ruskin Bond - all time favorites. Namita Devidayal's book - The Music Room - is also great reading, a mix of biography and fiction about some of the most legendary music artists of India.
Happy reading!

message 3: by Veena Regit (new)

Veena Regit | 3 comments Hello Sudeshna, Thanks a LOT for such nice recommendations:)

I will surely, check them out!

message 4: by bicyclethief (new)

bicyclethief I've read all of Jhumpa Lahiri's books, but "Interpreter of Maladies" (short stories) is, by far, my favorite. It's actually one of my favorites of all time.

Another on the all-time favorite list is Rohinton Mistry's "A Fine Balance."

Both are so moving.

message 5: by Harini (new)

Harini | 3 comments Give Amitav Ghosh's The Hungry Tide a shot. Its lyrical and engaging and a personal favourite.

message 6: by John (new)

John | 1 comments Read Amitav ghosh's "Sea of Poppies" which is an account of the trade in indentured labourers. Amitav is a talened writer.

John

message 7: by Prafulla (new)

Prafulla (prafullapatil) | 2 comments Hey, if you haven't read any Chetan Bhagat...you actually can go for Five Point Someone...i guess that's his best...its fun, easy read!!

message 8: by Sudeshna (new)

Sudeshna | 8 comments I would agree with you. I wasnt too sure if i liked the book when i read it but somehow it has stayed on...and some of its imagery keeps coming back. What other Amitav Ghosh have you read?

message 9: by Harini (new)

Harini | 3 comments 'In an antique land', Amitav Ghosh's Egypt travelogue, The Glass Palace, The Calcutta Chromosome- all by him :-)

message 10: by Jay (new)

Jay (xraygoggles) | 1 comments salman rushdie is amazing. "midnight's children" and "the satanic verses" are good starters.

message 11: by Phil (new)

Phil (muttmutt) | 1 comments I'm currently making my way through Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy. It's a wonderful, though long, read. I'm a little more than half-way through and I haven't lost interest yet. His characters are wonderful.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I second the recommendation for Rohinton Mistry's A Fine Balance, and would add Such a Long Journey as well.

message 13: by Sudeshna (new)

Sudeshna | 8 comments Jay wrote: "salman rushdie is amazing. "midnight's children" and "the satanic verses" are good starters."

Unfortunately, i've never been able to understand Rushdie...:(. I tried reading 'midnight's children' many years ago but it was too absurd for me and i had to leave it halfway. I think i will try it again. The only Rushdie i've read and liked immensely is 'Haroun and the sea of stories'. It is beautiful.

message 14: by Sudeshna (new)

Sudeshna | 8 comments Phil wrote: "I'm currently making my way through Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy. It's a wonderful, though long, read. I'm a little more than half-way through and I haven't lost interest yet. His characters are..."

Isnt that book awesome? It has so many different shades and so many images. Beautiful. One hardly realizes the thickness of the book while reading it except that your hands start aching if you are holding the book when reading...:)

message 15: by Sudeshna (new)

Sudeshna | 8 comments I would like to add Ashok Banker's Ramayana series as also interesting reads. The way he's transformed the 'simple yet epic' tale of our childhood into a fantasy world is brilliant. There are 6 in total. I've just read the first two. They have to be read in sequence. And a good idea is to buy them in twos...:).

message 16: by Smitha (new)

Smitha (embeddedinbooks) so many to choose from - R K Narayan, Rohinton Mistry, Vikram Seth, Chethan Bhagath, Anita Desai, etc. No onions, no garlics by Srividya Natarajan and Bringing up vasu by Parul Sharma (both first time authors) are also quite good. I am waiting for more books from them

message 17: by Bhavit (new)

Bhavit Mehta | 5 comments hi folks!

i think all the great Indian authors have been mentioned in this feed of messages.. of course, we have to add Aravind Adiga to this! 'The White Tiger' is superb!

If any of you want to venture across the border, I can strongly recommend 'In Other Rooms, Other Wonders' by a Pakistani author called Daniyal Mueenuddin. It's simply brilliant.

Give it a shot and let me know what you think.

message 19: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (mrpixel) | 1 comments Rona wrote: "Please check out my India/Pakistan/Afghanistan shelves. I'd be interested in feedback/comments/suggestions!

I've read, A Fine Balance, The God of Small Things, The S..."</i>

Rona,
I looked at your India shelf and found lots of great suggestions there for me. Feel free to browse my India selections too. I'll suggest one book here, that I did not see on your list: [book:A Suitable Boy
by Vikram Seth. It is huge and epic and that is part of what makes it great.

message 20: by Rona (new)

Rona Jackie wrote: "Rona wrote: "Please check out my India/Pakistan/Afghanistan shelves. I'd be interested in feedback/comments/suggestions!

I've read, A Fine Balance, The God of Small Things..."

Jackie - I'll check out your shelves for sure! A Suitable Boy was already on my TBR list! :)

Thanks much!

message 21: by Rona (new)

Rona Jackie - we definitely have a lot of books in common! :) I added quite a few more to read!

message 22: by Parikhit (new)

Parikhit Love all the authors and their works mentioned above. I would suggest Rabindranath Tagore as well. His last work translated as "The Farewell Song" is simply brilliant.

message 23: by Rosun (new)

Rosun Rajkumar | 1 comments Go for The White Tiger. It's hard hitting and downright dirty. Tell me if you are not disgusted after reading it! In a nice way though.

message 24: by Parikhit (new)

Parikhit Thanks Rosun. However, the fact remains, that the positive reviews about this book is overshadowed by all the negative reviews that has been preventing me from reading this book. But I guess I should give a read and build my own opinions too.

message 25: by Smitha (new)

Smitha (embeddedinbooks) I had a bad time reading the white tiger - felt very squeamish and uneasy, felt hopeless about India and its people; didn't have an enjoyable experience at all. I went into a mild depression after reading the book which took me a few days to recover.

message 26: by Parikhit (last edited Jul 31, 2011 08:51PM) (new)

Parikhit That was the very reason why I did not read it so far. Probably you can check out "The Discovery of India" by Jawaharlal Nehru. It displays India as a magnanimous country, the culture, heritage and everything about India seems great. It more of on India's glorious past. There were a few places, though, that I felt exaggeration creeping in. And when the part on Indian freedom struggle makes an appearance, Shaheed Bhagat Singh and Netaji have very little mentioned about them. I do not intend to say that the book eclipses real India which was very blatantly put in White Tiger. But it does present a very rosy picture.

Does fill one with a sense of pride..:)

message 27: by Jyoti (new)

Jyoti Arora (jyotiarora) | 6 comments Hi everyone,
Would love to introduce you to my favourite book by an Indian author. My favourite book by an Indian author is Dream's Sake, and the author is Jyoti Arora (me!)

Well, you asked favourite and what could be a greater favourite for me than my own book? :-D

It is going to be released soon. Do take a look at it here: http://www.jyotiarora.com/

message 28: by Manasi (new)

Manasi Vaidya (cookiethatcrumbled) | 1 comments I would like to add Devdutt Patnaik and Chitra Banerjee Divakurni to the list, their writing is both evocative and engrossing. Most of my other favorites have already been included in the comments above.

message 29: by Lakshmi (new)

Lakshmi | 1 comments Gods, Kings & Slaves The Siege of Madurai by R. Venketesh try this out.