Classical music lovers discussion

"Heroic" works

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracy (last edited Oct 03, 2008 09:51AM) (new)

Tracy | 8 comments I have been looking for novel and illuminating ways to arrange my classical music listening, and have hit upon the idea of grouping disparate pieces together by theme.

Right now, I'm interested in pieces that were composed with heroism in mind.

Other than Beethoven's Eroica Symphony and Chopin's Heroic Polonaise, are there any other works that fall into this category?

message 2: by Héctor (new)

Héctor

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike Petersen | 1 comments Richard Strauss Don Quixote and Heldenleben.

message 4: by Goldie (new)

Goldie Marie | 19 comments Perhaps Shostakovitch 12th symphony. Throwing of the oppressor is heroic.

message 5: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Walter | 4 comments Does the piece have to written specifically with the context of a hero in mind? If not, I nominate Janacek's sinfionetta. It's dedicated to Czech armed forces, so it depends on your definition of hero I suppose.

Plus I love Emerson Lake and Palmers' take on it with "Knife Edge"!

message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) The overture to L'italiana in Algeri or Haydn Symphony 104 movement 4

message 7: by Richard (new)

Richard (fantasyfangr) | 33 comments Bruckner's Symphonies (especially nos 3-8) would certainly be heroic!

message 8: by Richard (new)

Richard (fantasyfangr) | 33 comments BTW the only reason I haven't included no.9 is because it is technically incomplete. But listening to it (with a reconstructed finale) it has all the heroic, epic scale of the others. That Scherzo may well be the most powerful and dynamic ever composed--not excepting Beethoven.

message 9: by David (last edited Jan 05, 2014 10:10AM) (new)

David William Elswick | 100 comments http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pen1yL...

Richard Wagner - 'Lohengrin' Prelude to Act III (Daniel Barenboim conducting the Chicago Symphony Orchestra)

message 10: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (diaze) Tchaikovsky's 1812 and Beethoven's Wellington's Victory might fit the bill.

message 11: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) Mozart's Haffner Symphony or Jupiter Symphony.

message 12: by David (new)

David Gortner | 5 comments Brahms 4th Symphony would seem to fit, especially the last movement. Also I would put Mahler's 5th Symphony in this category but there are so many others it boggles the mind.

message 13: by Ola (new)

Ola | 6 comments I've just been listening to Bruckner's Helgoland for orchestra and mens chorus. Definitly heroic! Check out Barenboim's recording in the Symphonies box.