Guilty Pleasures discussion

V.C. Andrews

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mariecar (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:08PM) (new)

Mariecar | 2 comments I created a shelf called "guilty pleasures" because I remembered loving V.C. Andrews books when I was in junior high ... it's a guilty pleasure because they're basically erotic/romance novels for kids. Kinda weird, I know ... but they were good.
For instance, "Flowers in the Attic" is about incest.

message 2: by Scott (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:09PM) (new)

Scott (scottmillerdc) I read Flowers in the Attic in fifth grade. I pulled it from the bookshelf of my teacher in a little town in Indiana. How scandalous it was! I had never read anything like it - and I was hooked. I poured through all the books up to that point.

message 3: by Mariecar (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:09PM) (new)

Mariecar | 2 comments Ditto. I even started another series ... this is super cool to meet someone else who read ... and by that, I mean, I never met a guy who read V.C. Andrews. Sweet!

message 4: by Coffeeboss (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

Coffeeboss | 15 comments Oh, in elementary school ALL the girls were reading Flowers in the Attic! Whenever one of the new books came out, half of the girls in class would be reading them. I remember finding out that VC Andrews died, yet new books continued to be released, written by her "estate". They were very formulaic (incest, affairs, evil parents) and oh so trashy! We loved them!