Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Double Helix
This topic is about Double Helix
Double Helix Discussion > Liked it, Hated it? (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Now that you are done, what did you think of this book?

message 2: by HeyT (new)

HeyT I liked it. I think it gives a fair view of the ethical issues involved with genetic 'tinkering.'

message 3: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

I also like it, I think it is a great book for YA. Lots of issues in it that they face everyday plus ones that they should be thinking about!

message 4: by HeyT (new)

HeyT Yeah it's that mix that is interesting. I also like the insight into Eli's personal logic system when he makes his decisions.

Stefanie (steffaknits) | 3 comments I liked this book too. It took a very complex situation and explained it from a variety of different views. I think this is a great book for YA because it will get them thinking about these things. It also doesn't preach the "This is the only way to think" thing that I think happens a lot in "big picture" issue books. It shows them that it's okay to be conflicted about things and to change your mind sometimes. The overall story was a little predictable, but I am looking at it from an older stand point. Maybe when I was younger it wouldn't have been that way. Thanks for a good recommendation.

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) I liked it. At first it seemed like a light version of a Robin Cook, Michael Palmer, or Michael Crichton book, but it ended up being as thought provoking as books by those authors. I really enjoyed the characters of Eli, Viv, Kayla, and Eli's father also.

Elaine (readingrat) | 24 comments I thought it was very well done.

Amber | 34 comments The only reason I read this book is because the book club picked it. I wouldn't have picked it myself. This book I was going to Three stars until the very last chapter you will see what I mean so now I'm going to give is 3 1/2 stars. I found it interesting in spots. The book was slow at times.

mari (maribs) I enjoyed it. I love medical mysteries and thrillers and this was a good YA version of some of the books I like to read. I think it is also a great way to get kids interested in science, genetics, etc.

message 10: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

I agree about the books helping kids to enjoy science. Do you think this is a book that can be taught in a classroom setting?

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 13 comments Well, I wasn't immediately hooked by Double Helix, but I became increasingly interested and ended up really enjoying it. Coming at the book from a teacher's perspective, I think it would be an excellent book to use as an across the curriculum read, science and English. The questions raised about genetic tampering are fodder for great discussion.

message 12: by mari (new) - rated it 3 stars

mari (maribs) I think it would make for a great discussion on ethics. I would have loved more books like this in HS, be it in a science class or Lit.

Heidi (yabibliophile) (hmz1505) | 27 comments This wasn't a book that I would have picked up on my own. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. For a good portion of it I wasn't sure that I could really like Eli. He certainly redeemed himself toward the end of the book. I think that it would start great discussions on ethics, genetics, responsibility, thinking beyond yourself, so many good topics!!! I don't think that I would teach it to an entire class but I would love to include it in the book rotation for lit circles.

message 14: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Would schools allow this book to be taught? I think it would be too controversial and a school would not allow it in a discussion. I guess the teachers here could answer that question because I am not sure.

message 15: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Angie, The schools I've known and worked in (public & private) would definitely include this book and most controversial books in the list of books for students to read. I'm not a teacher but I've worked in classrooms many times with students of all ages reading books as controversial as this one.

Heidi (yabibliophile) (hmz1505) | 27 comments I think that schools would include it. As a middle school LMS I don't think that we would use it but I could see the high school using it. As I said, perhaps not as a whole class book but as a book to chose from on a reading list or for a literature circle.

message 17: by mari (new) - rated it 3 stars

mari (maribs) I don't see anything wrong with this book too keep it out of schools. However, there is always someone that will find fault with a book. I am a teacher, but of 4 year olds, so am not a good person to answer that question.

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 13 comments Angie, I think that the book would be a good choice in high school, probably junior and senior years.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Teacher here as well. I was thinking the same thing as far as cross-curricular. Even with the sex scenes, I don't think I'd use it for older than ninth grade. Maybe 10?

Valerie | 16 comments I too liked this book. It kept moving, and brought in some very interesting ethical dilemmas. Again, seeming to like the YA novels more than adult ones. Good read.

message 21: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

I agree, sometimes I really enjoy YA more than adult novels.