What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Breaking Up
This topic is about Breaking Up
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Judy Blume-esque YA book from same era [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:08PM) (new) - added it

Beth | 2 comments Ok, teen girl gets on a plane from NYC (where she lives with her mom)to fly to CA for the summer to live with her dad. Reads Playgirl on the plane, shocks fellow passenger(s). In CA, she battles her stepmom (or dad's girlfriend) over issues such as how she (teen) dresses and how the woman has decorated the teen's room (pink and orange, 4-poster bed). Teen falls in love with her best friend's nerdy brother over the summer. Flys back to NYC and mom comes out as a lesbian. CA boyfriend flies out to visit and they both lose their virginities. Anyone know it? it has been driving me crazy for years. i rememeber all of the other books i read and liked as a kid. thanks!

message 2: by Misty (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:08PM) (new)

Misty It almost sounds like Weetzie Bat, but I think that's too new. - Misty

message 3: by Stephanie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:09PM) (new)

Stephanie | 15 comments Hey Beth,

I'm certain this is a book by Norma Klein...pretty sure it's Taking Sides.

message 4: by Stephanie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:09PM) (new)

Stephanie | 15 comments Oh, wait, Beth, I stand corrected. It's Norma Klein's Breaking Up. I always loved her books.

message 5: by Beth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:10PM) (new) - added it

Beth | 2 comments thanks anyway, Misty! and a HUGE thank-you to Stephanie! i had actually looked into it being Norma Klein, but i guess i didn't delve deeply enough. Wow! I think i'm gonna re-read it to celebrate. Take care, you two!

message 6: by bup (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

bup | 84 comments Man, from two or three of the recent discussions in this group, I gotta read me some Norma Klein!

message 7: by Stephanie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Stephanie | 15 comments My pleasure, Beth. Had to go rooting through my Klein collection to find the right one. All of her plots seem to blend together, but I remember Breaking Up as being especially good. Really enjoyed the love story between Alison and Ethan. And boy, was her father a tool!!!!

by bup, you should totally check out Norma. She was such a great writer...she died very young (50) after cranking out a book a year for 20 years. I loved how she wrote about teen sexuality in a frank, explicit way. Most of her books are out of print now. I think they're too racy for today's ultra-conservative tastes, but hope they will be reissued in the near future.

message 8: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 14460 comments Breaking Up for the link.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Breaking Up (other topics)