Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

Kate Atkinson
This topic is about Kate Atkinson
Sai King's Favorite Series > Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie Series

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (last edited Aug 04, 2011 08:47PM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 2574 comments Mod
Kate Atkinson

Case Histories Jackson Brodie #1
Stephen King says: "Not just the best novel I read this year (it actually made EW's ''official'' top 10 fiction list in 2004), but the best mystery of the decade. There are actually four mysteries, nesting like Russian dolls, and when they begin to fit together, I defy any reader not to feel a combination of delight and amazement. Case Histories is the literary equivalent of a triple axel. I read it once for pleasure and then again just to see how it was done. This is the kind of book you shove in people's faces, saying ''You gotta read this!'"

One Good Turn Jackson Brodie #2

When Will There Be Good News? Jackson Brodie #3
Stephen King says: "The third, the best, and hopefully not the last Atkinson novel featuring private eye Jackson Brodie. There's a train crash, a smart and plucky teenage girl named Reggie, a missing lady doc...but the plot defies description, and I'd be a hound to even try. As a reader, I was charmed. As a novelist, I was staggered by Atkinson's narrative wizardry. You can't believe all the tangled threads are going to come together, but they do — and Atkinson makes it look easy. Dear reader, easy it is not."

Started Early, Took My Dog Jackson Brodie #4

I love a good series and this one sounds great. Really would like to get to it soon. Sigh... so many books...

message 2: by Alice (new)

Alice (alicesouffers) | 1 comments I have read all of her Jackson Brodie books and they are definitely good reads! Am listening now (audiobooks) to When Will There Be Good News? again because I liked it best!

message 3: by Debra (new)

Alice wrote: "I have read all of her Jackson Brodie books and they are definitely good reads! Am listening now (audiobooks) to When Will There Be Good News? again because I liked it best!"

It's always a good recommendation when you want to read it again!

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Wow, these sound really good.... my TBR list is getting out of control!!

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments I am finally getting to the second one now!One Good Turn on audio. Loved the mini series and enjoyed the first book.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments One Good Turn was a very enjoyable audio book. I like an audio that draws you in and makes you feel like a part of the scenery while the action takes place, a book that describes the setting well helps, and a narrator with a good set of character voices and, if appropriate, accent.
This book fits that bill nicely and once you get used to the pace, and the asides of back story, you settle in and wait for the denouement with anticipation but resignation that it will take a while at an hour a day or so of listening (commute time)

message 7: by Debra (new)

Mini series? I must have missed your message, Ann. I just added it to my Netflix gueue.

I've read the 1st 2 books now and have the next 2 at home to read. Glad you are liking them, too, Ann. Definitely fit the description of page-turners!

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments I have the third book lined up in audio. It is competing with four others but in the queue! I like backups to my backup audio books! Lol

message 9: by Debra (new)

Hey Ann:

I'm often on the look-out for some good audio-books to read during my commute. Any you've read recently you'd recommend to me? My fav genres are horror, suspense, thrillers, and mysteries, but I'm open to any good book, including young adult.

You can send me a message if you want.

Thanks,
Debra

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments Debra: It is hard to suggest since you and I already have liked so many of the same audio books! :)
We both loved The Night Circus and I Am the Messenger, and The Book Thief
What about Rules of Civility? It is one of my favorite audio books. The Story Sisters is on your to read shelf, also a really good one. I enjoyed the history in Dennis Lehane's The Given Day

message 11: by Debra (new)

Thanks Ann. I'll check your suggestions out! Always looking for a good audiobook to read in my car.

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments Each of those three suggestions immersed me into the story while listening to the point that I hated to leave!

message 13: by Debra (new)

Makes for a great recommendation!