Supernatural Fiction Readers discussion

Movies and TV > Supernatural Films and TV

Comments Showing 1-50 of 718 (718 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

message 1: by Jim (last edited Oct 01, 2008 07:11AM) (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) So many books get made into movies, it's hard to discuss one without the other. I thought this would be a good place to do so. What other books have been made into films worth watching?

The book, "I Am Legend" (1954) by Richard Matheson has been made into 3 different movies.
- "The Last Man on Earth" (1964) stars Vincent Price. (Available for download or viewing at Last Man On Earth It's public domain now.)
- "The Omega Man" (1971) stars Charelton Heston.
- "I Am Legend" (2007) stars Will Smith.

The bad guys are vampires, typically supernatural, but created by science in this case. I guess this isn't a true 'Supernatural' film, but the line dividing science & supernatural is getting thin. Horror SF seems to have filled the role that was once held by the supernatural - scary things that go bump in the night.

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (loderkelly) | 22 comments I want to rave about a movie we recently rented. “The Man from Earth” I don't know that it has ever been a book. The plot is simple, it takes place in one room throughout the movie, but it’s the dialog and the concept that blows my mind.

I recommend this for anyone who looks outside of the box. If your a Christian and easily offended this movie is not for you. This movie is however for people who question the concept of Christianity and enjoy a good scientific debate.

There is no action, sex, anything really other then a room full of people who engage in a very interesting conversation. With that said I thought I would be bored out of my mind but my husband and I were enthralled and held a conversation long after the movie was over. It defiantly makes you think.

The Man from Earth
Renowned sci-fi writer Jerome Bixby penned the script for this thought-provoking film starring David Lee Smith as John Oldman, a college professor who reveals to his colleagues that he's actually a centuries-old caveman. And so begins a captivating philosophical meditation on immortality, the last work from screenwriter Bixby, who earned career accolades for his contributions to such genre-defining shows as "Star Trek" and "The Twilight Zone."

message 3: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1848 comments I just now changed the title of this thread to add "and TV," but that doesn't change Jim's intention (which we discussed in messages before he started the topic); it just adds wording to make the full scope of the topic clear. Most people who like the supernatural in literature also like it in the dramatic arts (and there's not infrequently a strong relationship between the two art forms!); so this thread is a place where we can discuss all aspects of the supernatural on film and TV: our favorite movies or shows, our recommendations, the relationship of books to particular dramatic works or types --or whatever supernatural movie/TV-related subject you feel like posting about!

message 4: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 44 comments Thought I'd add a few movie/tv listings...

Supernatural Movies I've Seen:
- Death Becomes Her (??)
- Evolution (vamps/were)
- Evolution Underworld (vamps/were)
- Interview with a Vampire (vamps)
- The Covenant (male witches)
- The Craft (witches)

TV Series:
- Charmed (witches)
- Dead Like Me (main characters are dead)
- Hex (witches/demons)
- Supernatural (??)
- The Ghost Whisperer (talks to dead)
- True Blood (vamps/were)

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (loderkelly) | 22 comments Does anyone remember the old series Friday the 13th? It’s about an antique dealer that deals in cursed or haunted items. I loved that show.

Dark Shadows has to be my favorite. I would defiantly be one of those geeks at a Dark Shadows convention. If only I was in the right place at the right time.

My husband and I love the show Supernatural and the plot is taking a really awesome turn right now.

message 6: by Rora (new)

Rora Latley I've been watching True Blood on HBO. I think it's an ok show, but it does seem to have a lot of sex scenes than it needs to in it. I'm sure other people would disagree, maybe it's just my personal taste in TV and movies.

I wasn't too sure about the casting at first, but Anna Paquin is beginning to grow on me.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Kelly I loved Friday the 13th series! I wish it was still on! I'll have to see if netflix has it on DVD-probably not.

Also loved X-files.

message 8: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1848 comments I can add a few movie recommendations to Ikiwiki's. (Mine all star Vincent Price, although that's a coincidence.) One is The Cry of the Banshee, which is set in 16th-century England in the era of the witch hysteria; it portrays the "witches" as followers of a pre-Christian religion, but as wielding real (and potentially very deadly) powers. The other two are Tomb of Ligeia, loosely based on Poe's "Ligeia," and The Haunted Palace, which takes its title from a poem by Poe but is actually based (also loosely) on The Case of Charles Dexter Ward by H. P. Lovecraft. Both of these come across as supernatural in the movie versions, although the intent of the original writings is more science fictional. All three are older films, made, I think, in the 1960s.

message 9: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (aesquibel25) I love Interview with the Vampire and the Supernatural series, they're both really good in my opinion :) Evolution and The Covenant were okay but I can't help liking all those supernatural movies and shows, if you have any recommendations for movies let us all know :)

message 10: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Here are a list of my favorites, and I apologize in advance for the length! =)

TV:

Moonlight
Heroes
Dead Like Me
Tales From the Crypt
Tales From the Darkside (and the movie too)
The Twilight Zone
Reaper
Supernatural (I haven't seen a lot of this show, or of Reaper, but what I have seen is really good!)

Mini-Series:

Rose Red
Kingdom Hospital
The Shining
The Stand
(Hmm... I just noticed that these are all by Stephen King.)

Movies:

Dracula
The Shining (Kubrick version)
Underworld & Underworld: Evolution
The Blade Trilogy
Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead (I like funny zombies too!)
The Exorcism of Emily Rose
Pet Sematary
The Exorcist (Not any of the sequels though)
Evil Dead 1&2 and Army of Darkness
Gothika
The Gift
Hellboy 1&2
Legend
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
The Omen
Pan's Labyrinth
Poltergeist
Ravenous (If you like Wendigo lore or cannibalism, LOL)
Doomsday (A plague and more cannibalism)
Resident Evil Trilogy
The Reaping
Serpent and the Rainbow (Voodoo!)
28 Days and 28 Weeks Later
13 Ghosts (Love this one!)
I Am Legend (I have seen both The Omega Man and The Last Man on Earth, which were good, but Will Smith was great! My only dislike was the CGI, which wasn't great.)
Interview with the Vampire
Queen of the Damned (Love the movies, can't get into the books, though I have tried!)

message 11: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (loderkelly) | 22 comments Does anyone watch Dexter? My husband and I are hooked.

message 12: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) I miss Moonlight
I love Dexter and True Blood right now.I have watched Supernatural a couple of times and ant to get back into it.I also liked Ghost Whisperer but lost track of that one as well.

message 13: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 213 comments yes, i do. I saw it's on DVD now--Season 1, at Sam's Club the other day.
I am a big Dark Shadows fan. I went to one of the conventions years ago when it was in L.A. Met Jonathan Frid there.
Love Supernatural--it is one I faithfully watch.
Pam

Does anyone remember the old series Friday the 13th? It’s about an antique dealer that deals in cursed or haunted items. I loved that show.

Dark Shadows has to be my favorite. I would defiantly be one of those geeks at a Dark Shadows convention. If only I was in the right place at the right time.

My husband and I love the show Supernatural and the plot is taking a really awesome turn right now.

message 14: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 213 comments A new show on SciFi is Sanctuary--which is supernatural and is urban fantasy, like Supernatural is. Liked the movie that leads into the series i saw this past Friday.

I like to watch a lot of werewolf movies and ghost ones too, like The Haunting (the 60s version is the good one, the remake-naw).

By the way, Rose Red, from that mentioned earlier on this list, is a ripoff of The Haunting (based on Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson).

message 15: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Could be, but don't they say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery? It's well known that Stephen King is a fan of Shirley Jackson.

Ripoff or not, I enjoyed it. =)

message 16: by Erin (new)

Erin Dad and I just started watching TrueBlood which is based off of a series. Its on HBO and if you don't mind some almost x rated scenes its really good. I've watched the whole season as far as its been put out. I'm loving it!

message 17: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 44 comments True Blood is based off the Southern Vampire (aka Sookie Stackhouse) series by Charlaine Harris.

message 18: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) A REALLY nice daughter would buy her father the first of the Southern Vampire books, especially when it is in his 'Wish List' on Amazon. Of course, it is your birthday coming up. I may be putting in an order today or tomorrow. That way I get to read it first, anyway.

I'll have to watch the rest of the 'True Blood' series. The sex is a bit much & kinky - my wife had a few words to share with me for watching it with my daughter. I plead ignorance & am glad she hasn't read any of Hamilton's 'Anita Blake' series I gave to Erin to read. She'd probably kill me.

We just got caught up on Eureka. I was really sorry that there were only 8 episodes in this season. What a rip off! And the cliff hanger was just terrible.

message 19: by Werner (last edited Oct 12, 2008 05:34PM) (new)

Werner | 1848 comments Becky, which movie version of Dracula were you recommending? There have been several film adaptations (some of which follow the book more closely than others); of course, the classic one is the B&W version from the 1930s starring Bela Lugosi, which I'm ashamed to admit that I've never seen! I've seen all of, or parts of, a few others; the one I liked best (at least, judging from the parts I saw) was the 1979 or 80 TV miniseries starring Louis Jourdan as Dracula. Though, if you want a humorous treatment, my first suggestion would definitely be Dracula: Dead and Loving It --many parts of that one are an absolute hoot. :-)

This relates to Jim's original question, about which books have been made into worthwhile films; Dracula would probably head that list!

message 20: by Becky (last edited Oct 12, 2008 06:09PM) (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I was referring to the 1992 version with Gary Oldman as The Count and Anthony Hopkins as Prof. Van Helsing. Both men are among my favorite actors, and I practically grew up watching this movie, so I really enjoy this one. Although, even I must admit that Keanu Reeves's British was terrible, haha!

I have never seen the version with Bela Lugosi either, although I have seen bits and pieces of it. Maybe I will add it (and Dracula: Dead and Loving It) to my Netflix for Halloween!

message 21: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1848 comments I've seen parts of the 1992 version --I think one of my daughters was watching it on TV, and I was in and out of the room. Anthony Hopkins doesn't really fit my image of Van Helsing from the book -- though he comes a lot closer than Hugh Jackman. :-) The ending of that version is actually a lot more effective than Stoker's, though, IMO (not to inject any spoilers for those who haven't seen it!).

message 22: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Haha, that's true I suppose, but it has never really been an issue for me. That's probably because I watched the movie first and then when I read the book, even though it was years later, the characters' faces were in my mind.

It's been quite a while since I have read the book so I may have to reread it again to refresh my memory on the ending. Maybe in November - this month is dedicated to Halloween-y/scaryish books that I've never read before. Just started on Frankenstein last night. =)

message 23: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1848 comments Of course, I've noted before that I'm a long-time Dark Shadows fan, and as a kid was a fan of Boris Karloff's Thriller. Another TV show I really like that's been mentioned a couple of times on this thread is Charmed. It's one of my wife's two favorite shows as well, and she's not usually a fan of the supernatural. In this case, I think she appreciates it because the leading ladies on it are strong female characters who fight evil --though that doesn't lead her to like Buffy, for some reason! I like the Buffy series as well, though, and its spin-off Angel --though I'd say that on all three of these series, the earlier seasons were better than the later ones.

One show nobody's mentioned so far is the 1990s series Are You Afraid of the Dark?. I know, I know, it was a kid's show --but still, I thought a lot of their episodes were pretty good; and if I'd been that age, I'd have loved to have been a member of the Midnight Society!

message 24: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1848 comments All of the supernatural series I mentioned in the post above are canceled (unfortunately), though some survive on DVD or as syndicated reruns. I've thought of another one I liked a lot (at least, what episodes I saw of it) that's in the same boat: Forever Knight. This was a Canadian series built around the character of Nicholas Knight, a vampire who worked as a big-city police detective (on the night shift, obviously! :-) ). Originally a medieval knight (hence the surname "Knight"), he was "brought across" into the world of vampirism in the 12th or 13th century, and started out as a typical predatory vampire; but somewhere along the way he'd had a crisis of conscience, and chose to use his powers to help rather than hurt people. A local cable TV station carried some reruns of this back in the 1990s; and I believe the whole series is available on DVD. If you ever get a chance to watch any of it, it has my hearty recommendation --Nicholas is my kind of vampire!

message 25: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Thanks for all the suggestions, Werner. Some I'd heard of, but some I hadn't. I'll look for 'Forever Knight' & 'Thriller'.

message 26: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1848 comments Jim, you may have a hard time finding Thriller; I've never seen it on TV since the 60s, and have never spotted it on VHS or DVD. That's a pity; it was a half hour show that presented a completely new scary story in each episode, some of them supernatural in character and some dealing with natural events like murder. (Boris Karloff was the host, and often an actor in the episodes.) As a kid, I didn't know it, but a number of the episodes were adaptations of short stories, such as August Derleth's "The Return of Andrew Bentley" or Lady Cynthia Asquith's "God Grante That She Lye Stille" --to name two that scared the bejabbers out of me!

message 27: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) If you ever wondered where we came from, you might want to check out this short, 8 min, video on Flixxy. It's a hoot.
Welcome to Planet Earth

message 28: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (fionam) | 5 comments I always thought that " The Frightners" with Michael J Fox...

I thought that that was real creepy!! anyone seen it?

message 29: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I caught parts of 'The Frighteners' the past few weekends & saw it once, years ago, in its entirety. I never thought of it as terribly creepy - too much comedy. It was certainly lots of fun to watch. The ghosts jumping into & through people did make me grab my stomach a couple of times, though.

message 30: by Hotspur (new)

Hotspur (hotspurot) Nobody remembers THE NIGHT GALLERY? or the original OUTER LIMITS?

Sheesh, kids these days...

H.

message 31: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I loved both, Hotspur. I have quite a few of them & the Twilight Zone (mostly the original, but a few new ones) at home. Great stuff.

message 32: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1848 comments I missed out on The Outer Limits, but I was a faithful viewer of The Night Gallery! Some of the supernatural sketches on there were really good, and I still remember them fondly. One of my favorites was an adaptation of Manly Wade Wellman's story "The Devil Is Not Mocked;" and I really liked "Pickman's Model" and "Professor Peabody's Last Lecture" (which were, respectively, a loose adaptation and a pastiche of Lovecraft, though I didn't know that at the time), too. And I can't remember the title of the episode starring Ian McCallum that dealt with a female werewolf --but I'll never forget Mildred Squire! :-)

I was introduced to the concept of "sin-eating" by this series, too, in "Sins of the Fathers" starring Richard Thomas. That episode wasn't actually supernatural in character; but of course Manly Wade Wellman uses the same ancient custom in one of his Silver John stories, "Trill Coster's Burden."

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I also liked Forever Knight, Night Gallery and Outer Limits but do not seem to remember them like you do.

message 34: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) TV was different back then. We didn't get a color set until 1972 & only got 3 channels. Jackie Gleason, Leave it to Beaver, Disney (7pm Sunday) & news were the standard shows we watched as a family. Saturday morning cartoons, Batman & the Green Hornet were there for kids.

The Original 'Outer Limits' & 'Twilight Zone' were pretty creepy for their time, especially for family viewing. Not much like them had been done - most SF movies were pretty bad & very low budget. These two were both well done, for the most part, & completely different from the normal TV fare.

I LOVED them. It was an entirely different side of life.

message 35: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 24 comments I loved Friday the 13th. Maybe it was just due to Halloween, but they were running a marathon of episodes over the last few weeks I believe on Sci Fi.

I read the Fantasy series by Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth Series (First Bood was Wizard's First Rule) Sam Rami is doing a series on TV called the Legend of the Seeker. It started this past Saturday.

message 36: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1848 comments Earlier tonight, I watched a rerun of one of my favorite supernatural films, a TV movie made by the Hallmark channel: The Good Witch, with Catherine Bell (of JAG fame) perfectly cast in the title role. (It first aired a couple of years ago, if memory serves; and for any of you who may be fans, a sequel is promised to come to the screen in February --though sequels often don't have the charm and freshness of the originals.) The supernatural elements of the plot are low-key, with a deliberate aura of mystery and ambiguity as to whether our heroine actually is a witch --though this viewer, for one, doesn't have any doubts! :-)-- but here that works more effectively than a more straightforward approach would. It's also a good example of a film where the supernatural evokes awe and fascination, but not fear or horror.

message 37: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) While not a movie yet, I understand one is in the making. I'm reading Twilight, the first in the series now. I've hear a lot of people rave about it. So far, it isn't thrilling.

The main problem I'm having with it is identifying with the POV. It's told from a 16 year old girl's perspective & that makes it tough for me, never having been one myself. I raised one, but I still find it tough to empathize with Becca, the heroine. I'm often irritated with her, which may be a sign her character is well done. All my teenagers irritated me, but the girl was especially baffling at times.

There is a kind of neat, new take on what a vampire is. Their powers & weaknesses are shown well, not just described. There's only one character with much depth, the heroine, but that's enough.

I probably will watch any movie made out of this book or the rest in the series. I really like "True Blood" even if it isn't following Dead Until Dark too closely.

message 38: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Does anyone remember "Innocent Blood"? A comment on another board made me think of it today. Great vamp movie.

I finished Twilight during lunch. It was only OK. Too many little things like the POV & the pickup truck's transmission that bugged me. I won't be running out to buy the second one.

message 39: by F.R. (new)

F.R. | 1 comments I saw the Nightmares and Dreamscapes epidode based on King's 'Crouch End' the other week.

Anyone who actually knows the London suburb of Crouch End would have found it indescibably amusing.

message 40: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 24 comments I was home from work sick a couple days last week and one of the days they ran a mini marathon of Friday the 13th The Series :) Saw about 6 episodes. It was fun!!

message 41: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1848 comments If you've been following our YA Vampire discussion thread, you know that Dylan had some good things to say about the movie version of Twilight, which hasn't been mentioned so far on this thread. Have any of the rest of you seen it? And if so, what do you think of it? (I haven't seen it myself --my wife and I don't go to the movies very often-- but it's one I'm hoping to see when it comes to TV or video.)

message 42: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I haven't seen it yet, but am looking forward to it. I think it will be more friendly to us males than the book was. Seeing the world through a teenage girl's eyes is just too much for me. Even though I have one, I don't have that kind of empathy.

message 43: by Steve (new)

Steve I think The Innocents, starring Deborah Kerr, which is based upon Henry James' The Turn of the Screw, is perhaps the best supernatural from-book-to-movie effort I've seen.

message 44: by Simon (new)

Simon (shipscook) | 11 comments Steve wrote: "I think The Innocents, starring Deborah Kerr, which is based upon Henry James' The Turn of the Screw, is perhaps the best supernatural from-book-to-movie effort I've seen. "

I'd go along with that and also add the 50s Brit horror Night of the Eagle also starring Peter Wyngard

message 45: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) My wife & daughter saw the movie, "Twilight" on Xmas Eve & weren't impressed. Both have read the book. My wife was kinder to it than my daughter who found a number of faults. I can certainly wait for the DVD after reviews like that from them.

message 46: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 24 comments My favorte film is The Lost Boys. It's a very supernatural and hip vampire movie from the 80's. I highly recomend it.

message 47: by Steve (last edited Dec 27, 2008 11:14AM) (new)

Steve I had to do a little research on Night of the Eagle. I think it was released here as Burn, Witch, Burn!, which was based on Leiber's Conjure Wife. I went and checked out Netflix, but they don't have it. Maybe soon. I did recall a couple of others. Night of the Demon, which is based upon an M.R. James story. And The Body Snatchers, with Karloff. Both are old, but good, with lots of atmosphere.

message 48: by Simon (new)

Simon (shipscook) | 11 comments Steve wrote: "I had to do a little research on Night of the Eagle. I think it was released here as Burn, Witch, Burn!, which was based on Leiber's Conjure Wife. I went and checked out Netflix, but they don't hav..."

Yes that's the same film, Night of the demon is also a great film and if you enjoyed the Body Snatchers with Karloff its also worth looking out for Corridors of Blood

message 49: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1848 comments For Christmas, I got the movie Ladyhawke on VHS; and after having watched it, I highly recommend it (in any format). It's been out since 1985; but if you're not familiar with it, it's set in medieval France, where a tyrannical bishop, obsessed with unrequited lust for a beautiful noblewoman (Michelle Pfeiffer), bargains with Satan to place a terrible curse on her and the knight who loves her (Rutger Hauer, an underrated actor --he played the chief vampire in the movie version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, another good supernatural film). By day, the lady turns into a hawk; by night, her man becomes a wolf, so they're never in human form at the same time. In seeking to break the curse, the lovers have help from a young thief (Matthew Broderick) who's escaped from the bishop's dungeons, and from a priest (Leo McKern, another fine actor, who played Rumpole on the PBS Mystery! series) who has his own connection to their tragedy. Besides a strong cast, this film has an intelligent script and some really beautiful cinematography; it delivers romance, action, suspense, and humor, and as the best art in the supernatural genre always does, it takes both God and the devil seriously. If you ever get a chance to see it, check it out!

message 50: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Thanks for the recommendation, Werner. Rutger Hauer is a favorite of mine. "Blind Fury" is a good flick by him. I think what really made him for me was playing Batty in "Blade Runner", though. He was just so perfect for that role.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15