Christian Readers discussion

Book on trinity

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Edwin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:07PM) (new)

Edwin | 7 comments Hi everybody.I want to have a serious study on trinity, do you guys have any good book worth reading on this subject?Thanx

message 2: by Rob (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:07PM) (new)

Rob | 3 comments You can go here: http://www.theopedia.com/Trinity

Also, Bruce Ware has written an excellent book entitled, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit: Relationships, Roles, and Relevance.

message 3: by Lori (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Lori | 3 comments "The Forgotten Trinity" by James White is really good.

message 4: by Edwin (new)

Edwin | 7 comments I read the book, very informative, loved it and learned bunch of stuff....Thanks alot

message 5: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Jona | 2 comments I would recommend anything by N.T. Wright (sometimes Tom Wright)

message 6: by Ruth (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:24AM) (new)

Ruth | 1 comments I recommend The Shack, by William P Young. It is a novel, so it handles the Trinity in a different way than your traditional theological explanation, but it is beautiful and compelling. Be prepared to cry and examine the past wounds in your journey...

message 7: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (cmkeel) | 3 comments Here is a blog post on Faith and Theology Blog that list ten books on the trinity. I can personally recommend #9: The Christian Doctrine of God: One Being Three Persons by Torrance. I have read it and its an excellent resource. HTH.

♥ Ibrahim ♥ ِAs a former Muslim, I have to always deal with the subject of the Trinity. In fact, I just did a recording of my Bible radio messages to Muslims on this subject this morning. I have read as much as I could on this subject and come to the conclusion that the Trinity is not an "idea" but a "relationship" between the Father and the Son. If you focus on elaborating this relationship, you have done an excellent job in presenting who the Trinity is. The Trinity is about the Love that the Father has for the Son and wanted to impart to humanity. I can suggest many books but books will get you bogged down on ideas. Talk about the Trinity as you commune in prayer with the Trinity, not as one who rationally defends the Trinity, for it can't be defended like they claim. It can only be revealed and manifested.

Kristin, greetings, sister, which books of N.T. Wright you found so inspiring and helpful to you in your journey?

Lastly, my testimony is here:

http://www.answering-islam.org/Testim...

message 9: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Hogan (fishnoises) | 4 comments Ibrahim,
I agree with you about the Trinity being more of a relationship. It helps to understand how God can be everywhere, and how He can love us each individually. In the New Earth, we will walk with Jesus, and He will love us and give us each a secret name that He will call us. I don't kow how the Holy Spirit will work in eternity. But I do know the Trinity has always existed and will exist for eternity. It helps me to put eternity into perspective,because in the end it is our relationship with God (the Trinity)and others that we will take with us.

♥ Ibrahim ♥ You are right sister Carolina in talking about the eternality of the 3 Persons of the Trinity because for one thing we are talking here in the realm of the "divine", and what has divinity to it is eternal for ever. The dividing point for me in giving up Islam was when I saw a dream in which I said to Jesus, "I love you. I know you. You are eternal forever and ever.". Once I acknowledged that, as I am waking up, I saw real tears on my face, and didn't need any intellectual proof of the divine since the Lord gave that conviction Himself with the proof of the Spirit, as St. Paul says in 1 Cor. I guess chapter 2. Another brother, a former Muslim, a dentist from Alexandria, was once asked after speaking in one these big meetings he was leading all around Cairo, Ibrahim Al Sa`eh, about how handled the Trinity and whether it was a stumbling block he struggled with. He said, "Once you know the person of Jesus, you don't care anymore if they are 3 persons or 40 persons". I am of the same mind. It is all about who Jesus is. We get weak if we think we can "prove" the Trinity or anything related to faith to anybody.

Please pray for me, sister.

message 11: by Ray (new)

Ray (ray2jcj) | 1 comments Hi Edwin,

I highly recommend reading "The Shack". (on my book shelf) It is a work of fiction, however it will cause you to view the Trinity in whole new way.

message 12: by Kymberly (new)

Kymberly (wwwgoodreadscomfreedom2fly) | 103 comments Mod
Great last name Ray. It's mine too. : ) I'm interested in the Shack. I'll check it out. Thanks.

message 13: by Edwin (new)

Edwin | 7 comments Thanks Ray for the recommendation. i will certainly check it out.

message 14: by Edwin (new)

Edwin | 7 comments Thanks Ray for the recommendation. i will certainly check it out.

message 15: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Mullen (mrmullenvcncom) | 587 comments Glancing over most of the replies, the one thing they seem to have in common is all three are one. I have no idea how any one can belief that, except you can prove almost any thing you want to believe, there is a verse for it. If God is one, You can swear, using Jesus name all you want to, but blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. When you swear, how do you keep Jesus seperate from the Holy Ghost, if as they say God is one.

Preachers like to use St John 1;1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. What about 14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

The Holy Ghost is part of the salvation plan for each person and it wasn't to be until after Jesus went to His Father in heaven. St John 16;7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. The trnity is quadruple God, spirit, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost all seperate but with the same goals. A wife and husband, how many do you see? The Bible says they are one. http://www. google.com/profiles/10934417486749051...

message 16: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Mills (christophermills) | 7 comments A great read is the prayer that Jesus offered to the Father in John 17— particularly verses 9-11 and 20-23. Christ clarifies what it means when He says that He is one with the Father.

message 17: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Ellis | 39 comments so lovely to be in the presence of believers
sharon

message 18: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Mullen (mrmullenvcncom) | 587 comments Christopher wrote: "A great read is the prayer that Jesus offered to the Father in John 17— particularly verses 9-11 and 20-23. Christ clarifies what it means when He says that He is one with the Father.
"
Genesis 2;24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. St Matthew 19;5 ---and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? Mark 10;7 ---and cleave to his wife; 8 and they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.

message 19: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Mills (christophermills) | 7 comments Mickey wrote: "Christopher wrote: "A great read is the prayer that Jesus offered to the Father in John 17— particularly verses 9-11 and 20-23. Christ clarifies what it means when He says that He is one with the F..."

I don't disagree with you at all that they are separate individuals. Christ said, on more than one occasion, that the Father is greater than Him and referred to Him as His God. For me, the fact that He prayed to the Father is evidence enough of their individuality. In His prayer that I am referring to in John 17, He prayed that all believers would be one in the same way that He is one with the Father. He also prayed that all believers would be one with them. Of course, we are all separate individuals an always will be. This prayer clarifies how they are one but differs from the Trinitarian interpretation of how they are one. See also, KJV Acts 4:32; Romans 12:5, 15:5-6; Phil 1:27; 1 Corinthians 1:10.

message 20: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Mullen (mrmullenvcncom) | 587 comments Most if not all preachers believes that God Died on the cross I say he didn't, it was his Son. If you believe that way, then you are the exception. I don't read any thing from The Acts - Jude. St John 5;43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: (Jesus) if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive. (Paul)

message 21: by Edwin (new)

Edwin | 7 comments Ibrahim wrote: "ِAs a former Muslim, I have to always deal with the subject of the Trinity. In fact, I just did a recording of my Bible radio messages to Muslims on this subject this morning. I have read as much a..."

One of the books I have been inspired about written by Wright was "Surprised by hope" Even though he didnt present something that i already didnt know, but showed me i was not conscious about it.

message 22: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Mullen (mrmullenvcncom) | 587 comments 19 Christopher: In 17 several verses that prove He is praying to the Father. You brought up a man and wife, the last time you counted them, How many do you see? I count 2 just as the relationship between Jesus and God, seperate with the same goals. St John 1:14 (I believe the Word was in the mind of God from the beginning but it wasn't made flesh until the time was right) And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father.) full of grace and truth.

After Jesus was baptized by John Jesus went into the wilderness, to be tested if He would be faithful to the Father or would He go with Satan. Was God testing Himself? St Matthew 4:8-10 3:17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

I don't read The Acts -Jude St John 5:43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: (Jesus) if another shall come in his own name, him ye will recive. (Paul) Isaiah 14:13-14

Ibrahim: I know the one God theory of the Muslim. I believe there is one God but He has three with him as helpers, so we can say there is only one God. There is the Spirit mentioned in the first verse, and (let us make man in our image, after our likeness: Genesis 1: 1-26 We have Jesus who died for our sins that you have to believe in the heart, which is more than just to believe. St John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him Ezekiel 36: 26-25-27 When Jesus went to His Father He gave us the Holy Ghost with the Father's blessing, it is half of the salvation plan. St John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, (Holy Ghost) that he may abide with you for ever; 16:7 ---for if I go not away , the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

What is the total number? God, Spirit, Jesus, Holy Ghost, The Holy Ghost is a Spirit but it is seperate from the Spirit in Genesis. It is only Given to those that have been Born again first, because it will not dwell in a unclean body.

message 23: by Carlos (new)

Carlos Quijano | 3 comments The best book on the Trinity that I know is "The Three-Personed God" by William Hill, O.P. Going back to the Fathers, St. Augustine's "De Trinitate" is a classic and the basis for Western understanding of the Trinity. For an Eastern understanding, I would suggest the "Thological Orations" by St Gregory of Naziansus, a group of 5 or 6 sermons he gave on the Trinity when he was Patriarch of Constantinople during the Arian controversy.

message 24: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Mullen (mrmullenvcncom) | 587 comments Thirty days after I was born again I received the Holy Ghost. When I was born again I believed in my heart in the miracle of healing that Jesus did. That is two, and I believe that God is the creater of all things then we have three. To get four all we have to do is go to the first verse of the King James Bible of 1611 and it mentions the Spirit. There is a spirit that draws one to seek salvation the same spirit that convicts a person of sin.

I don't need William,or "De Trinitate" nor "Thological Orations"