Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Double Helix
This topic is about Double Helix
Double Helix Discussion > Secrets (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
There were a lot of secrets in this book. Do you think lives would've been different without secrets? Kayla grew up with knowledge about herself that Eli's parents kept from him, but even secrets were kept from her. Would Eli's life have been different had he grown up with the knowledge about himself and Wyatt that Kayla did.

message 2: by HeyT (new)

HeyT I think Eli would definitely be different had he known of his origins. He may have been more communicative about the ordeal with his mother if he had been told from the beginning that his chances of Huntington's were greatly reduced.

I also think Wyatt is a douchebag for sentencing Kayla to the fate of her donor-mother. >:(

message 3: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
I think Kayla's life might've been different also had she known who her real mother was. I think she might've wanted to be in contact with Eli's mother. I think Eli's life especially as a teen might've been hard, his emotions of always wondering who he was and who was his father would've bothered him. It would be even different from someone who was adopted because Eli might've had multiple fathers? Isn't that something he was worried about?

message 4: by HeyT (new)

HeyT I never got the sense that there was doubt about Eli's parentage. He may have been a little dodgy when it came to experimentation but I believe that Wyatt wouldn't go against his word on that front.

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Well, I think that secrets are never a good idea, but even if everything had been in the open for Eli & Kayla from the start, they'd have still had a ton of trouble coping with the circumstances of how they were created, especially given that the program was secretive and not subject to ethical review.

Heidi (yabibliophile) (hmz1505) | 27 comments I think secrets change everyones' lives. For the characters in this book the secrets are "bigger" and I think that their lives would have been quite different.

It may have helped Kayla to know her donor mother but it also may have hurt her. If she had to watch Ava go through the changes that HD brings I imagine that it would have made her wonder if she had it. Would that have been better? To know that earlier? To worry about it like Eli? I don't have an answer to that.

I really wonder what it would have done to Eli's family, especially considering his father's animosity toward Dr. Wyatt. It seems like his father just locked the whole situation away and didn't think about it. If it weren't "taboo" in their lives could his father have dealt with it? Would it have affected his marriage to Ava? I also wonder if Eli would have been more open in his own relationships with people. In the beginning of the book he's really deceitful. He keeps so much from the people he is closet to. You have to wonder if that's because he somehow knew that his parents were keeping things from him.