Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Double Helix
This topic is about Double Helix
Double Helix Discussion > Morals and Ethics (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
The characters in this book all believe that at one time or another their actions are moral and ethical. Who do you think were the most and least morally and ethically correct?

message 2: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Clearly to me Dr. Wyatt has the least morals and ethics. I mean he used Ava's eggs to experiment with and that is extremely bad ethics. He kinda was real smug about the whole thing. Even having a secret area where he would keep these people. And then to think he was going to have Kayla and Eli mate? To see what that would cause? I am not a scientist and I know there is a saying like "all in the name of science" so I know that people will go to extreme measures to discover things, but I do think he went too far. I think he did think he was working for science and that clouded his judgments.

The most moral and ethical to me is Dr. Fukuyama. She was barley part of the book, but that part really stood out to me. When she talked about the person with Down Syndrome who stood up and said "what did I do wrong that you wouldn't want me on this planet" was a pivotal part in the book to me. My uncle has Down Syndrome and I love him with all my heart. I like how she says that "there's a difference between using gene therapy for the treatment of existing medical conditions compared to deciding who has a right to life and who doesn't."

message 3: by Lisa (last edited Oct 14, 2008 03:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Dr. Wyatt had no real ethics at all. I think Eli had the most ethics: he stood in to be there for Kayla as a brother even though he'd just learned of his own beginnings and even though they were virtually strangers.

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 13 comments Well, this book is certainly one that is not just for YA in terms of the ethics and morals discussion. Throughout the book, Eli represents the high ground on ethics and morals. The inclusion of Dr. Fukuyama and her experience with the Down Syndrome person at the convention was a stroke of genius on the part of the author. I wish that this novel would be required reading in school.

Heidi (yabibliophile) (hmz1505) | 27 comments I don't think many people would argue with the idea that Dr. Wyatt is pretty much ethically corrupt. I also loved Dr. Fukuyama and how it brought to light the difference between treatment and the right to exist.

I really cannot say that I applaud Eli's ethics. In the area of genetics he certainly has promise. It's his behavior in every other area that got to me...especially in relation to his girlfriend. I can understand that it was difficult for him to deal with his mother's deterioration and the possibility that he might have HD as well. Still, for him to keep her out of so much...even the way that he "let" her be valedictorian...would she really have wanted it knowing that it's only because he held back? Or the way that in his mind their relationship has no real future but she doesn't know that. He thinks he's protecting her but really it's pretty selfish and it's hurting her long term. Dr. Wyatt thought that what he was doing was "for the good" too. I know that part of it for Eli was likely being young and still fairly self involved. He learned and grew up throughout the book....the whole "adulthood" issue. In the end he is a better person and making better choices and more ethically "good." I don't really know where I was going with this...I guess it just really bothered me for the whole first part of the book!

message 6: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

What is really sad is that I think Dr. Wyatt didn't think he was doing anything wrong! I think he just really thought that he was doing it all for science so that made it right.

Heidi (yabibliophile) (hmz1505) | 27 comments I agree...and it's scary to think that there actually are people like that in the world. They may know on some level that it's wrong but they still can justify it (it being whatever it is that they're doing)