Chicks On Lit discussion

Archive 08-19 GR Discussions > Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society discussion *spoilers likely*

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Meg this was your book would you like to lead the discussion on it?

I know a lot have already read it so wanted to start the ball going with this book. Remember anyone can jump in with comments/questions/thoughts about the book.

I adored this book. I wish our chicks lit vacation was possible to go to Guernsey!

message 2: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments I surely would lead it, but I thought you wanted to do it?

The one thing I hated about this book was that it was too darn short!!!!

message 3: by Holli (new)

Holli I absolutely love this book that I was so sure I would hate :) I have about 41 more pages to go and then I'm done. And I really think I'll miss it. Its such a great story and the characters are so vibrant!!

message 4: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
You go for it Meg. I loved the book and will jump in with anything going and maybe start my own but its your awesome book you can take the lead.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Yippie for Meg!!! You can do it!

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate | 96 comments I have to be honest. The title of this book drives me crazy. But I get the feeling from the reviews I read that this book is not served by its title. So I'll give it a try.

message 7: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I was no fan of the title either. I still think they could have dropped the "potato peel pie" part and been just fine. It really was only a snip of the book and hardly worth mentioning again.
That aside once I finished the book I realized how the title fits not so much the book but the characters.

message 8: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Thanx Jo!!!
I am going to try something new this time. I am going to start slow with a question at a time. I think people might get overwhelmed with so many at once. If it doesn't seem to be working I will post them all. Let's see how this goes.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments Sounds like a plan, Meg.

Tera - how long did it take you to get into the book? I remember you saying it took you awhile to get into it at first.

message 10: by Holli (new)

Holli Once I got past the first 20 or so pages I was hooked. What about you Tera??

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) | 576 comments I was hooked almost right away. Of course, I had just heard Tera raving about it, so it was easy. I so love all the characters in this book; I want to be friends with them, too.

message 12: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I read the first 3 pages and put it down. In part because I had so predetermined I wouldnt like it and part because my little one wanted Sesame Street for the 400th time that day. (is it possible to die from muppet over dose? - if so I need an intervention).
I decided I wasn't being fair and to give it a good go later that night. I came back to it picked it up and by abotu 15 or so pages in I was hooked.

message 13: by Laura (last edited Oct 02, 2008 07:45AM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments Muppet overdose, OMG. My daughter came up when Barney was new and big - and LOVED him. My sister actually taught her to say "Barney makes me wanna vomit." I hated that purple dinosaur! I feel ya, Tera. ;)

OK - 15 or 20 pages - that helps. Cause I'm not hooked from the first few pages, but I just know I will love it from all the great reviews.

message 14: by Holli (new)

Holli Keep reading Laura because I really think you will like it. :)

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments I'm already there. I think I'm almost to page 20. It's a keeper.

message 16: by Holli (new)

Holli Oh good.......can't wait to discuss it with ya!!

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments All I can say is I'm glad I joined this group, because I would probably never have picked this book up (not tending to war stories). So far, so good, and I think I'm gonna stick with it for a few more hours here, since it's my party and I can read if I want to !!

message 18: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) | 576 comments Meg, can we have a thread to just talk about the characters?

message 19: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 415 comments When I first heard about the book, I was intrigued by the title - sometimes, I'll read a book just because I AM intrigued by the title! But because it is a "war story", I had reservations about reading it. I don't go in much for war stuff.

Am I ever glad I decided to start reading this! I like how the characters are evolving through the series of letters. I'm almost half way through and am finding it hard to put down. It's one book I will definitely recommend to others to read.

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments My husband and I chatted for quite awhile last night about WWII and he was able to answer some of my questions (because he's a war guy & I'm not) that, because I'm no history buff, were interfering with my understanding of the story.

Has anyone else had this problem? For example, I never knew that back then ANYONE had unmanned bombers. I was shocked that Germany was sending random bombs over to London without any pilots.

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 26 comments I'm not much of a history buff either though I have read quite a few books lately about various wars (mostly WWII). In this book I found the war to be just the background for the story, not so much a defining part of it. I found myself getting into the story; both the post-war time aspects, and the things about life that everyone shares at one time or another (friendship,family,love,death). I think this is why you can like this book even if you can't get into war time based books.

message 22: by Lynlee4 (new)

Lynlee4 | 99 comments I'm about half through~much further behind than I thought I'd be. I don't much care for war stories and cannot believe that this is about the 4th book in 2 months that I've read dealing with WWII, in some way.

That said~I'm totally enjoying this book. So far, I love all the characters, especially Juliet and her quirky sense of humor.

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments I finished it last night - so terrific. Loved it, loved this book!!!

message 24: by Kathy (last edited Oct 11, 2008 06:39PM) (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 111 comments Every once in a while a book comes along that just really takes me by surprise and knocks my socks off. Guernsey was such a book. I thought it had a great title, but at the same time the title had me a bit wary that the title might be all that was great. I was so pleasantly surprised, and loved the book so completely. I love historical fiction, and especially finding out about a little known part of history. The German occupation of Guernsey was a new chapter for me in my reading WWII fiction. I am encouraging everyone I know to read it.

message 25: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
A perfect way to describe it. I don't think I have ever been so happily surprised and delighted by a book in some time. I tell everyone I know to read it.

message 26: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments I am so glad that this book got such positive reviews. I am hoping you all will be able to come to the author chat.

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments Meg, you are my hero for this book. Truly.

message 28: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Laura, you make me blush.

message 29: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments Don't just blush - keep those wheels turning! More books, More books !!

:)

message 30: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Laura do you prefer books that are more historical fiction?

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments Not really, Meg. I was just pleasantly surprised by this one.

message 32: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Well tell me what you like so I can recommend some. It would be my pleasure.

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments You are so sweet! I like mysteries, the classics, esp. Brit Lit, smart humor, the friendship theme is good, I even like fantasy/magical stuff too. I'm not way into historical, but it can work. I don't usually like books that have dialect all through it, or weird punctuation, etc., they drive me crazy.

I really like lyrical writing. And I also like a good romance in the black & white movie sense. Like Guernsey. I think I'm going to try Pillars of the Earth - next time I'm in the mood for something that long. I haven't finished Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell yet (but I'm really loving it!)

Actually, after Guernsey, I think I would try anything you recommended, Meg. Even if I didn't think I'd like it. I bet lots of other people here would too.

message 34: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) | 576 comments (If you like poetic prose and fantasy, I would recommend the Fionanvar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay.)