Jodi Picoult Books Reading Group. discussion

Books Under Discussion > My Sister's Keeper

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary (mhung) | 2 comments This was the first book I read by Picoult and it got me hooked on her. And it is still one of my favorites (I even got it signed by her). What did everyone else think about it?

message 2: by Michaela (new)

Michaela (michaela7887) | 2 comments It was also my first book I read by Picoult and I loved it, but I was also shocked by the end. She really got me there. But it is definitely my favorite one!

message 3: by Leena (new)

Leena Almashat | 59 comments WOW!! WONDERFUL! I really loved it! I have read 3 books for her, and they are all my favorite.

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley  (angelashly) | 20 comments I really liked it. It is my second favorite of the 3 books that I have read by her.

message 5: by Angela (new)

Angela (songwords) | 3 comments To me, this one seems to be the one that's most known by those who haven't read Jodi Picoult before. The topic discussed is really intriguing and I couldn't wait to find out what happened.

message 6: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) I read My sisters Keeper while i was at camp this summer, and i cried my eyes out when i was done! It was one of the most moving books i have ever read, and now im completely HOOKED on Jodi Picoult!! I cant get enough of her!! Im on my third book, VAniching acts. SO far its really good. Did any of you guys enjoy it?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

It was the first one I read, and I couldn't wait to be done with the day just so I could curl up with it and see what happened next.

message 8: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee | 1 comments I LOVED this book because of all the excitement and it kept me wondering if Anna was going to give in and give Kate her kidney. It also kept me wondering if Kate would survive without the kidney. The ending was a surprise to me. It was so shocked that Anna had died. In this story, you wouldn't predict she would DIE.

message 9: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 7 comments I loved this book and it was my first Picoult. You should have posted this with a spoiler alert because not everone has read it. I think the ending was one of the best parts of this book and it should be kept a secret. I felt as though "it kicked me in the chest" I then read The Pact and that made me a true Picoult fan!

message 10: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Schrader (mizkylie) | 4 comments LOVED this book also. This was also my first JP book. I am reading 19 minutes right now and next up is the tenth circle. Any info on those (without spoiling;)

message 11: by Dara (new)

Dara | 145 comments Kylie...I love your name~as a matter of fact, I love it so much I named my daughter that (12yrs ago..hehe) She is Kyli Ann Marie. Anyway...you will not be disappointed with JP. 19 Mins was my first JP experience, then Perfect Match, then MSK and on and on. Tenth Circle wasn't my fave, but definitely worth reading. Do yourself a favor, spread out JP's books. Don't read them all in a row, then you find yourself waiting a year for the next one to come out. I have paced myself nicely and still have several to go.

message 12: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Schrader (mizkylie) | 4 comments Dara, thanks so much!! I will make sure to do that, if you read one you especially like, let me know. LOL, my middle name is the same Kylie Ann, how funny, great minds think alike:)

message 13: by Dara (new)

Dara | 145 comments Of course Nineteen Mins and MSK were great. I also really like Keeping Faith and change of Heart. Perfect Match was a really good one. Picture Perfect was good, but one of her earlier books and slightly different than her later ones. Tenth Circle was my least fave, but like I said, it was still a good read. I have several more to read. Right now I am reading Twilight. Have you read it?

message 14: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey | 2 comments My Sister's Keeper was definitely my fave of all her books. Nineteen Minutes is a really tough read, but absolutely worth it. Right now I'm reading The Book Thief, which is a really good book. I'm stuck on what to read next though. Any suggestions?

message 15: by Dara (new)

Dara | 145 comments If you want a nice light read, I just finished The Friday Night Knitting Club. I had a horrrrrrible week last week and it was just the thing to take me away without being too intense. I also recently read First Daughter (I can't think of author's name...Eric VonLustbader or something like that). It was good too although very very intense.

message 16: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Schrader (mizkylie) | 4 comments Dara, Yes, I have read ALL four of Twilight and seen the movie twice, LOVED the books!!

message 17: by Dara (new)

Dara | 145 comments Kylie, (it is hard for me to type that with an E on the end...lol) the thing I have realized about Stephanie Meyer and Twilight is she just sucks you in soooo unsuspectingly. Heck I am 200 pages into the book and didn't even realize I had read that much. And she really drags out the story...but not in a bad way. I was just surprised at how far in you get before Bella figures out that Edward is a vampire.

message 18: by Kylie (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:40AM) (new)

Kylie Schrader (mizkylie) | 4 comments Yes, I completely agree, my husband got sucked in too, he read all four books and went to the movie with me. There are always good and bad things about almost every book I read, Twilight does drag on a little bit, New Moon is worse (at dragging it on) but still good. Eclipse and Breaking Dawn are my favorites. I am reading Midnight Sun off of Stephenie Meyer's website, its unfinished but I can't help myself;)

message 19: by Caroline (new)

Caroline I loved My Sister's Keeper. I got hooked on Picoult with many of her books, but this one stands out. The story line is so different and I quickly read to discover what would happen to Anna. Some individuals dislike the ending, but I think it is perfect. All her books have twists throughout the story.

message 20: by Aleetha (new)

Aleetha | 1 comments I have just read it
I love all the dialogue inside
The conversation is run well
However I'm little bit shocked with the ending

message 21: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 20 comments I loved MSK, it is my fave Picoult book. I loved seeing it from all perspectives and was really shocked by the ending (I cried!). I haven't enjoyed the other Picoult books (Vanishing Acts and The Pact)as much though, although they were still good reads I think everything else has paled in comparison to MSK. Got Plain Truth and Harvesting The Heart to read...

message 22: by Libby (new)

Libby | 1 comments Hi! I'm new... just wanted to say that My Sister's Keeper is my least favorite Picoult book... I loved the story but was so disappointed with the ending!! I honestly wish that I could have appreciated it more. I just didn't feel like there was any real resolution.
Claire, looooved Plain Truth and Harvesting the Heart. HTH was my first Picoult book and it got me hooked on her.

message 23: by Sue (new)

Sue Seligman (bookfan55) | 25 comments Hi, I am also new and I just wanted to put in my two cents. I loved My Sister's Keeper; it was the second JP book I read (after The Pact). I read MSK in one day and I had to reread the ending twice because I was so surprised at how it turned out. I also loved Nineteen Minutes, my second favorite JP book. The new one looks like it will be really good as well...Handle with Care.

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (kajouka) | 2 comments I loved this book as well and it was my first. I bawled my eyes out at the ending and I didn't expect it at all. I think this one gets you because you are SO elated for Anna and you crash so hard less than a chapter later.

message 25: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (lindseyloo725) | 10 comments This was my first JP book too! Ever since I have been hooked. I read this book at work and I felt like such a goon for balling my eyes out while working. She is such an amazing author and let's you into each character so well that you feel every emotion that they are feeling. I am reading Change of Heart now and I am super excited to finish it!

message 26: by Maryann (new)

Maryann (uorgirl) | 3 comments This was my second JP novel. I loved, loved, loved the story. I laughed, cried, got mad, worried...lol. I swear, the emotions that this book brought out of me is amazing! I also felt like someone "knocked the wind out of me at the end." After I finished it and realized what was going on, I went to the intro again and realized what I had missed right from the start. AMAZING STORYTELLER!

I passed the novel onto my older sister (who hasn't read for fun since she was in HS, she is now 35) and she was hooked. She was angry with me for a bit because of the fact that she couldn't put the book down...lol, but she got over it.

message 27: by Diane (new)

Diane it was my first book to read by her and I have also read tenth cirle and ninteen minutes am going to read all of her books she is such a great writer!

message 28: by Lbug (new)

Lbug | 2 comments Loved this book. I love most of Jodi's books. Makes you really think about things.

message 29: by Andrea (new)

Andrea This was my first book I read by her and I loved it. I read it about two years ago and now I am reading my 12th book by her. I plan on getting around to reading the other four books too! She is great...my friends and I love her and I have had some of my other friends read her book and they love them too!

message 30: by Ebby (new)

Ebby Wilhelm (ebbunny) | 8 comments This is my absolute favorite book written by JP. My boyfriend was looking at me as though I lost my mind as I'm sobbing through the end of the story. Is anyone looking forward to the movie coming out? It's suppose to be out in June and Cameron Diaz is going to be in it. Hope they don't screw up the ending since that's the pivotal part.

message 31: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 20 comments I'm really looking forward to the film, hope it does it justice!

message 32: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (lindseyloo725) | 10 comments I recently met Jodi and she said that they changed the ending of the movie. I was shocked. So, she said that everyone who loves this book needs to close their eyes for the last 10 minutes and then go home and re-read the book! I'm excited to see the movie, but I'm sad that the ending isn't the same.

message 33: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 20 comments OMG, the ending made the book!!! Not sure I will like it :O(

message 34: by Ebby (new)

Ebby Wilhelm (ebbunny) | 8 comments That's extremely disappointing. It means for me I will wait til it comes out on DVD to rent it.

message 35: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollylu) | 19 comments I am disappointed but not surprised. Some people that I have talked to didn't like the ending of the book, so they are probably trying to please more people with the movie. I don't agree with that, but that is how movies generally are...

message 36: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) I don't think I will even bother to see it. When I saw her at a booksighning for Change of Heart, last year, she even told us that the Producer said that "reader's don't matter", when she argued that the reader's wouldn't want the ending changed! I am definitely not giving my money to those people!

message 37: by Holly (last edited Apr 07, 2009 01:05PM) (new)

Holly (hollylu) | 19 comments Good plan, Kathy - I agree.

A lot of people have said that they didn't like the ending of the book. This is one of my less favorite JP books, but NOT because of the ending - it was because of all the strife that those children (and their parents) had to go through in their lives. The end of the book left me feeling relieved because all that pressure that they had been living with for all those years was finally over.

message 38: by nina (new)

nina (ladeeda) | 29 comments I'm going to read this again over the summer :) Love this book.

message 39: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 8 comments Mary wrote: "This was the first book I read by Picoult and it got me hooked on her. And it is still one of my favorites (I even got it signed by her). What did everyone else think about it?"

I am just now rereading it too because I wanted to remind myself why I recommend this book to every one. I also like "The Pact" and "Harvesting the Heart".

message 40: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 8 comments Kathy wrote: "I don't think I will even bother to see it. When I saw her at a booksighning for Change of Heart, last year, she even told us that the Producer said that "reader's don't matter", when she argued t..."

I have an aquaintance who didn't even realize that the movie was based on a book. I was excite to see the movie until I found out they changed the ending. When I was in a screenplay class I was told to change my treatment/screenplay for the book "Legends of the fall" by Hal Borland around to make it more like hollywood films and the class actually like my close adaptation of the book in chronological order better. I think readers do matter and that films can reflect books well without alwaysjazzing them up.

message 41: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 8 comments Kelly wrote: "Mary wrote: "This was the first book I read by Picoult and it got me hooked on her. And it is still one of my favorites (I even got it signed by her). What did everyone else think about it?"

I a..."
I responded to the wrong post but I can say that this is still my favorite JP book and I have read 6 I think.

message 42: by Dara (new)

Dara | 145 comments Kelly wrote: "Kathy wrote: "I don't think I will even bother to see it. When I saw her at a booksighning for Change of Heart, last year, she even told us that the Producer said that "reader's don't matter", whe..."

I did go see the movie last week and it was good. I wasn't really disappointed in it like I was with Tenth Circle (movie) but maybe that was because I went in knowing that the ending had changed. It was still a great movie but by chaning the ending they changed the entire message of the book. And I am with you Kelly, readers absolutely matter. If the readers didn't make the book such a success the chances of it even being considered for a movie are much less.

message 43: by Niki (new)

Niki Wait, the ending of the movie is different from the book?

message 44: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 20 comments Yup it is, much more predictable than the books ending.

message 45: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 8 comments Kylie wrote: "LOVED this book also. This was also my first JP book. I am reading 19 minutes right now and next up is the tenth circle. Any info on those (without spoiling;)"

I haven't read 19 Minutes, but I basically skimmed through Tenth Circle-I thought it was too formulaic and had a sense of her ending long before the end-with all the others of hers that I read she kept me guessing until the events happened. I love how she offers so many aspects to tough topics.

message 46: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 8 comments Claire wrote: "Yup it is, much more predictable than the books ending."

Leave it to hollywood to make a great book a predictable movie:)

message 47: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 8 comments Dara wrote: "Kylie...I love your name~as a matter of fact, I love it so much I named my daughter that (12yrs ago..hehe) She is Kyli Ann Marie. Anyway...you will not be disappointed with JP. 19 Mins was my fir..."

I agree. I read like 4 in a row and then had to take a break-she offers tough issues to think about. After a break it was great to get back into a JP book.

message 48: by Dara (new)

Dara | 145 comments Kelly wrote: "Kylie wrote: "LOVED this book also. This was also my first JP book. I am reading 19 minutes right now and next up is the tenth circle. Any info on those (without spoiling;)"

I haven't read 19 ..."

Kelly, Tenth Circle was my least fave of JP's books. But I did finish it. And yes Holly, they changed the ending and it was wayyyy more predictable, but more than that it just changed the entire message of the book.

message 49: by Niki (new)

Niki They did NOT kill Kate, did they?

message 50: by Miracle (new)

Miracle (mammaofmiracles) | 1 comments This book was just so amazing! I couldn't put it down once I got into it. Pretty incredible what parents would do for their kids, even at the exspense of another ;(

« previous 1