Oly Reads discussion

Book Talk > Cookbooks?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:07PM) (new)

Agathafrye | 751 comments Mod
Got any good cookbooks to recommend? Also, y'all should feel free to add books to our collective bookshelf, which appears at the bottom of the page.

I'll start:
* The Bon Appetit Cookbook by Barbara Fairchild
* The New Laurel's Kitchen by Laurel Fairchild
* Vegetable Harvest by Patricia Wells
* Macrina Bakery and Cafe Cookbook by Leslie Mackie

message 2: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 259 comments Mod
I hate to admit it, but my favorite general cookbook is The Betty Crocker Cookbook. They've tested those recipes out so many times over the years, you can't go wrong. And everything is doable - I get a bit intimidated by the involved recipes in The Joy of Cooking.
For just cakes, though, my favorite cookbook is The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum. There's a recipe for a banana cake with chocolate sour cream frosting that's to DIE for! It's called the Cordon Rose Banana Cake and Chocolate Ganache. I usually choose it to be my birthday cake every year.

message 3: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

You can't go wrong with Betty Crocker. Don't be ashamed! Now I want chocolate, damn.

message 4: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

I thought about another two cookbooks that I love-
"Please to the Table" - Anya von Bremzen & John Welchman. Russian food- mmmmm. There's a lot of meat in here, but enough non-meat options to keep me occupied for a long time.
"Miriam's Kitchen" - Elizabeth Ehrlich. This is a book that fits into one of my favorite not-sure-it's-a-genre- half memoir, half cookbook. Elizabeth Ehrlich writes about the struggles with keeping a Kosher kitchen as a modern day woman, and her relationship with her amazing mother in law Miriam, a Holocaust survivor who cooks like a goddess. Good stuff.