College Students! discussion

books, books, and more books! > last book you bought?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,282 (1282 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 25 26

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 143 comments what was the last book you bought? (not school related!)

message 2: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
ooh gosh. let's see..I can't even remember the last time I bought a non-school related book. I'm too broke from textbooks to buy other books. yeah. seriously..i can't think of one. However, this doesnt really qualify as "buying" per se..but i just started using paperbackswap and I got my first one in the mail..Love in the Time of Cholera.

so that's my answer :)

message 3: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments My God...I work at a bookstore. It's completely dangerous, and I buy books way more often than I should. I think the last two I bought were "Hell House" by Richard Matheson and "What's That Pig Outdoors? A Memoir of Deafness" by Henry Kisor.

message 4: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 252 comments i recently bought Twilight.

message 5: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

i bought Frankenstein and the October Country today! was sooo tempted to buy more books. i found like 10 books i wanted..luckily i was with one of my guy friends and he hates books so he demanded that i get the books i need and leave. :)

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I bought the book Glass by Ellen Hopkins today. Just in case it is novembers read :).

message 7: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) I finally gave in to peer pressure and bought Twilight... I hope its as good as everyone says it is!!
Oh! and I bought this month's issue of Lucky and InStyle- haha

message 8: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 252 comments haha me tooo!! :)
(well, the twilight part)

message 9: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

ahh you two are going to make me cave in and start reading twilight.

message 10: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Just cave in and read it Jamie...lol

message 11: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

haha i think I am going to have to!

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) today i got a book called "Bliss" by Lauren Myracle and a book called "The Dragon Heir" by Cinda Williams Chima.

message 13: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

today I went to Borders and did some serious damage..you all will be happy to know that I bought Twilight! :) I gave in. I did it. I recently just had one of my friends from around here tell me that they read it and loved it..so that was the final straw! I won't be able to start it any time soon with all the school work I have going on..but sometime relatively soon I hope to start it.

I also bought:

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

Another Bullshit Night In Suck City--Nick Flynn

Love is A Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield

message 14: by Spencer (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:37AM) (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) YAY! JAMIE! Glad you bought it :) I loved it, and I know we have similar tastes so I hope you like it as well. If anything, it's a really quick read, so it doesn't take long to finish.

Last book I bought was last night at Borders- Of course I got book 2- New Moon... I'm already over 100 pages in!

message 15: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (kelseynicole) oh wow..i couldnt even begin to figure out which book was the last i bought..

message 16: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Yesterday, I got the following books:

TTYL- Lauren Myracle
TTFN- Lauren Myracle
Identical-Ellen Hopkins

message 17: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I've heard good things about the ttyl and ttfn books. Does Identical go along with her other books like crank and glass?

message 18: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Identical is a seperate book. Different plot.

message 19: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

ooh gotcha. have you started it yet?

message 20: by Leila (new)

Leila (leilasbooks) | 31 comments the last book i bought was stranger without fiction. It was on sale and very cheap so I couldn't resist buying it since I've heard a lot about it. Hopefully I'll find time soon to read it

message 21: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I haven't started Identical yet. I am currently working on Eclipse.

message 22: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) I bought Marley & Me (John Grogan) and Valley of the Dolls last Friday at Borders and East of Eden (Steinbeck) came from bn.com I think on Saturday.

message 23: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I've heard good things about Marley and Me!

Abigail (42stitches) | 53 comments Oddly enough it was a Japanese copy of Flowers for Algernon. I want to use it for my independent study (you know post college) of Japanese, because I really don't want to lose it. Sadly, I never did manage to get a good kanji dictionary...so it waits to be read.

message 25: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

that's really interesting Abigail!
i want to read a novel in Spanish i think..you've inspired me! i'm afraid i'll forget everything I learned!

Abigail (42stitches) | 53 comments The only way to keep it is to find a way to use it. I only have about 5% of my high school French left.
Ganbate!
~Good luck
^^

message 27: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I just bought:

Eat, Pray, Love
Crank
a dumb book for my personal finance class
My Friend Leonard by James Frey
The History of Love

and the nice thing is..Borders sent me a birthday coupon for 25% so that made me quite happy! :)

message 28: by Spencer (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:17AM) (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) yay! so did you sign up for a borders card, jamie?
I finished Breaking Dawn... *tear* No more Edward. No more vamps... Now I have to wait for the movie. I seriously cant believe i finished all 4 books in less than a week. Lol, my boyfriend thinks im such a nerd. oh well. :)
Ive been so caught up in those books that now I have no idea what I want to read next...

message 29: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

yeah! they told me I already had one! haha go figure. I can't wait to read Twilight now! I want to finish it before the movie comes out!

message 30: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 252 comments I just bought Eat, Pray, Love in the hopes we read it..if not..i'm reading it anyways!

message 31: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I have one of those addictive personalities, well with hobbies anyways. My latest is reading. Book stores are the evil that feeds my addiction. I have always loved to read, but being so busy, it usually was just around 20 books a year, but now, lets see, I have read or re read 25 since mid July. Wow! I am addicted.

So the last therapy session, I came away with:
The Heretics Daughter by Kathleen Kent
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Emma by Jane Austen
Guilty Pleasures by Laurell Hamilton (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series #1, entertaining read, but nothing too deep)
Don't Make a Black Woman Take Off Her Earings: Madea's Uninhibited Commentaries on Love and Life by Tyler Perry (LOVE his movies so figured this would be a good laugh, wasn't let down at all)
Harry Potter and the Socerer's Stone by JK Rowling (my first copy had disappeared, but I am positive my sister has it)
Harry Potter Schoolbooks Box Set: Two Classic
Books from the Library of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry by JK Rowling

Wow. Looks like a bunch more when written out like that. I did have some enablers this time. I had some gift cards I had received for my birthday, so it wasn't such a sticker shock. Also, you can probably tell, I really don't stick to one theme, genre, or anything. I love to read.

message 32: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

haha i love that you called it a therapy session.
sounds like you got some good ones!

message 33: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) Haha, Tami, I'm with you on the book "therapy." To us, though, you don't seem like you have a problem... We're shameless enablers ;)

What exactly is Books from the Library of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry by JK Rowling ? I've never heard of it... Is it new from her?

message 34: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I am not sure how long they have been out. It is a box set of the 2 books "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" and "Quidditch Through the Ages". They are two books mentioned in the Harry Potter series and JK Rowling wrote them for some charity. I believe it is the same one that is getting the proceeds from Beedle the Bard but not entirely sure on that. They are really thin books especially when comparing them to Harry Potter's, but light fun reads.

message 35: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) sounds cool! I'm down for anything that keeps the Harry Potter legacy going! :)

message 36: by Jen (new)

Jen | 111 comments just bought the book thief and eat, pray , love !!

message 37: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

ooh i want the book thief!! i just got eat, pray, love as well!

message 38: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Today I got the Study Trilogy by Maria V. Snyder.

message 39: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 143 comments I just bought Eat, Pray and Love as well as Extremely loud and incredibly close.

message 40: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

just got What They Always Tell us by Martin Wilson

message 41: by kate (new)

kate (katelucia) Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass

And Peter Pan

I'm on a classic fairytale kick.

PS: I never thought I could hate a bookstore. But the Books-A-Million in this town is absolutely terrible. -_-

message 42: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

ahh i love classic fairy tales! <3

message 43: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) Today was a big book buying day. BIG books.
complete Tales and Poems - Edgar Allan Poe
Run With the Hunter - Charles Bukowski
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Carroll
Martha Stewart's Cooking School (a Christmas gift)
Klutz Knitting (I'm going to learn!)

message 44: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

i want to learn how to knit!! i have said that for a while..I just need to do it haha.

message 45: by kate (new)

kate (katelucia) It's on my 43things!!

message 46: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) I'm really excited to learn, I just don't know when I'll have time to.

message 47: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) yay, knitting! Im so glad a lot of people my age are wanting to learn. my grandmother taught me a while ago and I used to do it all the time and people would make fun of me at school and say I was a granny. Psht!
I just picked it back up and I'm making a scarf for my boyfriend for christmas...
It's very theraputic once you get the hang of it. I have the tv on in the background and just zone out while doing it. :)

message 48: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) I know how to crochet, but I need a refresher. I was actually thinking about crocheting the scarf I was making my bf... I like knitting but the needles are so pointy that it starts to hurt my fingertips when I move the yarn down since I'm squeezing it on one stick.

I've always wanted to learn how to quilt. Is it hard? I've always wanted to make a huge retro looking quilt for lying on in the park :)

message 49: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

ahh Anastasia..i'm loving the quilt idea. I need to take up either quilting/crocheting/knitting! I need to be more domestic haha.

message 50: by kate (new)

kate (katelucia) Wouldn't it be great if we all lived in the same town and got together for a quilting party and book discussion?

I would so be game for that.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 25 26