The Next Best Book Club discussion

Group Read Discussions > Dracula- No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 121 (121 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) Hey All,

Is anyone reading Dracula? I'm a fan of vamp fiction and this is the first time I'm reading it. I got so into it the other day, my husband walked in the room, made some noise and I jumped so high off the couch!!! All I could do was laugh at myself. Has anyone else had this experience?

message 2: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10095 comments Mod
Petunia, it is the group read for October, but I dont add the discussion till the first of the month. You're gonna have to be patient and wait till Wednesday......

Im evil, I know....

message 3: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 382 comments *trying to be patient*

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) It's a fantastic book, Petunia, and aren't you glad to hear it's what we're reading in October? I tried to read it last year around Halloween, and couldn't finish (too scary). But I'm gonna be brave and give it another try this time.

Just out of curiosity, how far have you gotten with it?

message 5: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 382 comments *again, trying to be patient*

*patience waning*

message 6: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

ha ha.. Not much longer ladies.....
You're making me feel bad :)

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather Sigh...only 26 1/2 hours to go

ticktockticktocktick

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Almost October then we can discuss! Yeah!

message 9: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 33 comments I read it 2 years ago in October and fell in love with it. I am excited to read it again and discuss it this time. It's one of my favorite book.

message 10: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

OK Folks. October 1st is upon us. Discuss to your hearts content. No SPoilers here, as the topic states, I will create a seperate folder for those :)

message 11: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 382 comments And now I don't yet know what to discuss. Oh well, at least I was able to save the patience here...even if my patience doesn't last in the bookstore. :-)

message 12: by Stacie (new)

Stacie I have started reading this, but am not that far. However, I am really liking Stoker's writing and feel that he does a great job of setting up the scene. I don't mind the diary entry format of writing, but worry that I might tire of it...we'll see!

message 13: by Sera (new)

Sera I'm on Chapter 7 and so far I am enjoying it very much. I like the journal/letter writing style. It's a great way in which tell a story from the first person narrative.

message 14: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Just started last nite so not very far in. So far, I, too, like the journal format.

I think Stoker overdoes it a bit when it comes to describing a scene tho. I need a little setup to get me going, but he seems to like to detail things to death.

Overall tho, love the gothy feel!

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura | 56 comments I'm 4 chapters in. I'm enjoying it so far but agree it can get a bit overboard on the description details. I don't mind the diary format at all.

Its definitely setting up a creepy vibe already. You can almost feel Harker's fear of Dracula.

message 16: by ScottK (new)

ScottK | 535 comments I loved the Movie Keanu Keanu Keanu !!!!!

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 510 comments Well, this past week has been especially busy and has interfered mightily with my reading time. I hate when that happens. I had been reading a blue streak, and then, wham, barely time to read at all. So, I just started Dracula yesterday, only 50 pages in, but I am into its ambiance of goth and gloom. I do agree with Lori that Stoker does seem to describe in a somewhat plethoric manner, but I don't think it will become tedious. I have read so much other "vampire lit," including a favorite of mine, The Historian, that I am delighted to finally be reading the original Stoker Dracula. It's a perfect October read.

message 18: by Spudsie (new)

Spudsie | 44 comments I'm feeling a little sheepish.......I've had this in my "to be read" pile for 2 years.

I typically read the "classics" growing up, but never read Dracula.

Why on earth did I wait so long?????

I was expecting the writing style to be difficult to follow, or something that wouldn't capture my interest.

Sheesh! It's a classic for crying out loud! What was I worried about??

I'm loving this! It really flows. How cool!

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Oh, Spudsie! I'm so glad you like it. I thought the same thing when I started it - I guess this means I should try Frankenstein too?? (Another one my hubby's been after me to read.)

message 20: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Laura, If you are enjoying Dracula, then I would definitely recommend Frankenstein. That is probably one of my all time favorite gothic novels that speaks about so much!

I too am finding Dracula enjoyable. I am tired and want to go to sleep, but also want to stay up reading.

message 21: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melitious) I, too, have just started reading Dracula -- only about 50 pages in. I agree with those of you that believe that the description gets a little too in-depth (I seriously contemplated putting the book down after chapter one), but think I can probably handle it. I also like the journal/letter format (I'm getting read to hit the first set of letters). You guys are worrying me, talking about the fact that this is scary -- I mean, I should know -- I tend to over-think things, so I might have to relegate this book to daytime reading only.

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) I will try it, Stacie, thanks!

Melissa, I think scary's more a state of mind - how do you handle scary books? I haven't finished it, but I don't think it's something I would keep to the day only.

message 23: by Stacie (new)

Stacie I was thinking about the long descriptions of the natural scenes and I think this is a big thing for the period. Nature (with a capital N) was HUGE for these guys writing - there is a definite reverence of Nature within Stoker's writing - He often describes nature with a certain element of graduer and awe - I think that is part of what he might be exploring in terms of what is and is not natural.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

That's funny Stacie. I was thinking about that this weekend how any early 19th century lit that I have read seems to have long descriptions of everything. I wonder if more and more because of the fast paced society we live in that long descriptions seem sluggish to us, where at that point in time literature was one of the major forms of entertainment. No television, never mind internet to get a description of various parts of the world.

But I like how you also say he might be exploring. That is an inclination I sort of had, but had not been able to formluate any words to describe.

message 25: by Stacie (new)

Stacie That is funny that you bring it up in comparison to today's world. I was thinking about THAT in terms of the horror genre itself. I have heard of people have issues with this and some Poe stuff because it just "doesn't seem like horror" to them. Well, considering what the current trend of horror is, I can understand that. There is more of a psychological horror found in books like Dracula and Poe's work.

I am by no means saying this goes for all current books or films, but it seems that the horror aspect is more overt today than it was in the 19th Century.

message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Something else I've realized in recent years - I've really grown to appreciate the long descriptions that used to irritate me to the point I didn't even want to read those books. Now, I actually seek out those kinds of books (who'da thought?)

message 27: by Stacie (new)

Stacie That is funny Laura...it is almost like how you get older you can finally eat broccoli without gagging!

It must be because I am used to 19c literature having read so much for school, as I didn't even notice it until it was brought up, but then I couldn't stop noticing it!

message 28: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 510 comments Melissa, Stay with it. I was 50 pages in and thinking that I was going to have trouble getting through the book. It does pick up. I'm on around p.150 now, and I'm glad I didn't abandon it. I, too, like the journal/letter format.

message 29: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments I'm going to start Dracula tomorrow, my brain feels like goo.

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Mental note: Never start Dracula on a goo-y brain!

message 31: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments Hahha!

message 32: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melitious) I'm sticking with it. It's beginning to pick up for me. Didn't get too much reading done today with friends over and the baby refusing to nap for more than 20 minutes at a time. In terms of handling scary things, I think I handle scary books a bit better than scary movies and things like that. We'll have to see. I have some lighter reading that I usually turn to at night before bed, anyway.

message 33: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

For me it gets good, then goes to crap, and just when i think i cant take anymore crap, it gets good again....

I like the dr and mental patient thing... Im on chapter 9... not sure how far everyone else is....

message 34: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments Lori, I too am a couple pages into chapter 9 and I feel the same way. The crap drags on for just long enough that I feel like giving up, but then it gets good again.

message 35: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

haha... its funny. like Stoker is purposely trying my patience....

message 36: by Laura (new)

Laura | 56 comments Finished it last night. I too found some parts draggy but overall I liked it. Did anyone else have a little trouble with Van Helsing's parts? I understand that Stoker was writing in somewhat broken English as it is not Van Helsing's native language but I had trouble following what he was trying to say sometimes.

message 37: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Lori and Jessica, I think that it really starts to pick up beyond where you are. Right now I am at a part where I want to keep reading and curse the skies when someone (child or husband) talks to me or wants something.

message 38: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 510 comments Yeah, Laura, I know what Stoker was doing, but I don't think he was successful in creating Van Helsing's dialect. Of course, I'm no expert. It just didn't seem to work. I am used to it now, but it was a little annoying at first.

message 39: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melitious) I have only just started chapter five -- just realized one of our cats got out and we're searching for her -- well, I'm here on baby duty -- needless to say, no reading is being done now. But, I'm trying to keep my mind off of worrying too much by coming on here.

message 40: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments Stacie, I'm glad to hear that it picks up. I think I'm just worried it will take me too long to read; I need to return both this and House of Leaves to my work on the 18th and I would like to get through both by then.

message 41: by Arminius (new)

Arminius It is a classic for a reason. It was cleverly written but maybe because of the rash of horror books and movies since it was published and my predisposition for history and nonfiction that I find it dull. It is supposed to be scary and it just does not do it for me.

message 42: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Melissa - hope you found your cat!!

I think that's where I put it down before, once the asylum got involved. I guess I should try it again. Hopefully it won't be too disturbing this time. I just finished Guernsey so I'm in the mood for something REAL good.

message 43: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melitious) Laura, she came home around 10:45 last night -- much to my delight!

I haven't gotten as far as the asylum yet -- just a few mentions. I'm seriously dragging on this book. I've seen bits and pieces of the Keanu movie, but it's been a LONG time.

Here's a question, that I hope doesn't spoil anything . . . do the letters between Mina and Lucy toward the beginning really add a lot to the story? I find myself glazing over while reading these. I know, I know, I really shouldn't skip any parts of the books I read, but I'm really hoping this picks up soon. I'm on page 70 or so. Someone tell me it picks up soon!!

message 44: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Melissa, It picks up soon. There is some connection to the later part of text with the letters. But, keep reading. I think it picked up considerably once it focused more on Lucy, which you are getting to.

message 45: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 382 comments Agreed, the book picks up when it gets to Lucy. Then it will drag for a while and will pick up with another twist. Then it will drag for a bit and pick up again with another twist. It's just an eb and flow kinda book.

message 46: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melitious) Thank you Stacie and Ikiwiki! I'm glad to hear it picks up soon. I hope the ebb and flow doesn't kill me, though. I so don't have the attention span for that now that I have a baby -- maybe if I was back at work already. I'll try to stick with it. I am enjoying it, even if it is slow. Sadly, tomorrow I have a lot of plans, so I probably won't get much reading done (same as today).

message 47: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments I have to admit I am having a hard time wanting to read this book. I'm on chapter 6 I think now and I am struggling getting through it. Trying to decide if I should move on to another book...

message 48: by silvia (new)

silvia  | 282 comments well i have to say I also experience the hard times reading 19ct or older books. Its part of the pleaeure of reading does books to me. its hard but rearding, like a challenge to myself

whit draculla I dont remenber how hard it was for me, but I think I keep playing the movies in my head along whit the book and that helped.

I'm currently reading the penguin book of vampire stories... a lot of gothic horror, its being hard

message 49: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Totally agree with the ebb and flow... I wrote somewhere in here that it seems as tho the author is trying my patience...just when I want to give up, something good happens in the novel...

But this thing is taking me forever, Ive already been reading it a week and im only 1/2 way thru.... Damn!

message 50: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 714 comments I'm in the same boat-halfway through after a week (but I did read a short book over the weekend too) I do like it but I wish it would go faster!

« previous 1 3