Chick Lit Book Club discussion

Lipstick Jungle
This topic is about Lipstick Jungle
2007-2008 Book Archive > 10/2007: Lipstick Jungle: Chapters 1-4

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:06PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ashley Join with questions and comments whenever you're ready!

message 2: by Denise (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Denise | 12 comments I am plowing through this book...what effortless reading!

Which character do you identify with most so far?

For me, it would have to be Wendy, because I've always wanted to work in film and I have kids. Although I don't understand her choice of husband...but I'll stop there, since I'm waaaay past chapter 4 ;)

--Denise

message 3: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ashley I haven't gotten to Ch 4 yet, but I am liking Victory's character... Going out and following her dream, and kicking anybody's butt that tries to screw her... I like that.

I agree, Denise, why has been dragging that husband of hers behind her for years? He seems to enjoy riding her successes, and then tries to make HER feel guilty about it!

message 4: by Sally (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sally Ellingson Hmmm...that's hard. I think that there is something that I identify with in each of them. I used to be more of a Wendy, but I dumped the guy to be more like Victory and somehow I seem to connect more with Nico even though I don't have much in common with her character. I can understand following her route if I had been in the situations she has been in.

message 5: by Meredith (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Meredith Watson I read the first three chapters last night and so far, Victory is my favorite character. I immediately liked her when she made the statement about it being ok to NOT have children in order to build your career. I dont have children and am always annoyed by people that say 'well, its not too late, you still have time' what if I choose not to have children? That doesnt make me defective! haha Anyway, Victory is the one that I am identifying with so far. My least favorite, so far, is Nico. I guess because she is descriped as being cold and manipulative. Cant wait to read further and like Wendy, wonder how can Shane survive without her?

message 6: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ashley Victory's relationship with Lyne is interesting... And I don't agree with Nico and Kirby... And I won't be that bummed if Shane leaves Wendy... He seems to enjoy mooching off her, and 14 years is long enough...

message 7: by Denise (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Denise | 12 comments Did Lyne remind anyone of Donald Trump? He was the only super-rich New Yorker I could think of who would really be distasteful to me.

I love reading books and trying to figure out who an author used as a model for a character. Any other ideas who Lyne might be?

As you can see, I'm not very up on my rich New Yorkers :D That's what I get for living in the Midwest ;)

message 8: by Meredith (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Meredith Watson He reminded me of Big on Sex and the City. Rich, powerful, but looks down on Victory as Big did Carrie.

message 9: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:30PM) (new) - added it

Jessica (jessmorgan03) I am like some of you, I can relate to all the characters and respect different characteristics of them. It would be hard to pinpoint who I am most like or identify with. I identify with Victory's struggle to find success, while I understand Wendy and her family life and I admire Nico's strength and success, I am not that assertive. And never will be.

Jencey/ (Jencey) | 410 comments I have liked the book so far. I have to say my favorite character is Victory Ford. I guess in a way I dream about fashion. I know that I could never be a designer. Once again I will say this is an easy read.