Free Food for Millionaires Free Food for Millionaires discussion

Is this chick lit?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jessica Why do so many reviewers keeping calling this book "chick lit"? Is it because the protagonist is female? Or because the author is female? I'm a woman, and I've read other books that I would more appropriately describe as "chick lit." but I did not at all pick up this book because I'd thought it would fit that genre; I just finished it and I still don't think it fits that genre. Just curious.....

message 2: by ba (new)

ba I haven't read this, but I just paged through the first 60 GoodReads reviews, and all but 5 of the reviewers appeared to identify as female.

Does that make it chick lit?

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy definitely not chick-lit (not that I don't enjoy the occasional chick-lit book). the characters are way too complex and developed.the characters are female and a lot of the plot does have to do with being a woman but also equal attention given to the being a first generation American as well as social class differences.

message 4: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen I'm just about to start this book and I am quite surprised to see some reviewers classify it as "chick-lit". I'll have to reserve judgment on whether or not it classifies as such. However, I met the author a few days ago, lovely lady, and I think she would classify herself as an author of literary fiction.

Heather Definitely not chick lit! It's written very thoughtfully, and her characters are very human and layered. You can't tell where the story is going, I'm halfway through it and I'm surprised at every corner. Chick-lits are pretty much predictable...plucky heroine gets guy of her dreams, blah blah.

Gaye Definitely not chick-lit (although they can be fun to read)...such a wonderful book that I thoroughly enjoyed

Diana Nope! Definitely not a chick-lit! Such complicated characters and very thoughtful writing.

Montek Certainly not chick-lit!