Urban Fantasy discussion

GROUP READ OF THE MONTH--ARCHIVE > Succubus Blues--October Group Read--SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I just finished this book this morning. I have to say that I didn't like it as much as I liked Storm Born. I liked all the characters and I felt like you jump right in to their lives without missing a beat, but the overall story didn't wow me. I don't know what I was expecting, but I'm not rushing to read the next books to see what happens. I had the same timeline issues in this book as I did in Storm Born. Obviously it is the writers style. I didn't like how abruptly time would pass in between all the "action". I knew from the start that there was something off about Roman. It was cool how he was linked to Jerome and Helena, but over all I wasn't surpised by the surprises in this book and I think that's why I was a bit disappointed. I'm wondering what others thought of the book. I've seen comments saying people loved it, but I have to disagree. It was worth reading, but I don't think it's a book that will stick with me.

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan | 6 comments I finished this book at 2AM. I couldn't put it down after I just had about 10 chapters left. I really got into the character and wish to learn more from the tid bit ending we got. AKA the note.

message 3: by new_user (last edited Oct 20, 2008 10:03AM) (new)

new_user Melissa, do you think the difference between them had to do with the more suspense-oriented plot of Storm Born versus the more slice of life theme of Succubus?

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Maybe. I think it also had to do with the fact that Georgina wasn't happy with her immortality. I get why she wasn't and it was pretty selfless of her and that explains the way she handles her succubus "job". I guess it was kind of a downer reading a whole book of her trying to fend off all the good men around her to protect them. And she's all boo hoo, I have to spend eternity lonely and unloved. Like I said before, I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it was more serious and deep than I thought it would be. I've seen it described as paranormal chick lit and I agree with that. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for chick lit when I read it.

message 5: by new_user (new)

new_user Hm, I usually imagine chick lit as a bit on the light side. Gucci and martinis and all that jazz, LOL.

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I guess chick lit to me is the "slice of life" theme as you called it. I guess it would be too dark for chick lit. I feel like Georgina was acting like the amateur detective by trying to figure out who was attacking immortals and who was stalking her. She was kind of wimpy though. For me, the "mystery" part of the plot was overpowered by the main character's day to day life.

I own the three books in this series and I can see myself reading the others, but it's not one I'd recommend because I just didn't love it.

message 7: by Cathy (new)

Cathy  (cathygreytfriend) | 55 comments I really liked the book. I found Georgina to be very appealing and likable. And I'm a sucker for guys like Seth, of course. I was not surprised at either of the 2 big bad reveals, it wasn't much of a mystery. But Id didn't want to put the book down and am looking forward to the rest in the series and other books by the author. Plus, the last 2 pages were terrific, very romantic, and made the whole book shine. And I am not a big romance fan!

message 8: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) In the middle, I began to figure out who it was. Although the twins part threw me for a loop. Didn't see that one coming. I really liked the book! I found Georgina also very appealing. I also liked Jerome- I'm not sure if it was b/c of all the John Cusack references, but I thought he was cool. When I got into it, I couldn't put it down either. I gave it a five star! I'm really interested in seeing what happens in the second installment!!

message 9: by pianogal (new)

pianogal | 15 comments I think this one was a good pick. Thought Seth was really cool. Georgina was a little vain for my taste - but she's a succubus, so I guess she's allowed to be. Good plot twist with Roman being the bad guy. I was guessing Seth just b/c he was the opposite of the nephilim. He was the Clark Kent side. Can't wait to read the next one!