Movies We've Just Watched discussion

SOMEWHERE IN TIME, TIMELINE, TERMINATOR, 12 MONKEYS, BILL AND TEDS EXCELLENT ADVENTURE, BACK TO THE FUTURE, TIME MACHINE, KATE AND LEOPOLD, HAROLD AND MAUDE

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faith (last edited Sep 28, 2008 08:41PM) (new)

Faith Quick (faithbquick) | 81 comments why does age matter? in the movie somewhere in time the woman in the movie comes to the main man character when she is in her 80's she looks at this man who is in his late 20's early 30's with love and adoration and says come back to me. then he (christoper reeve) goes back in time to (jane seymore) when she is his age and they fall in love.

well technically speaking they are 60 years apart but because he travels in time they are the same age. why then does it matter so much to people/society/us that someone young is with someone old. what changes when they travel through time that it becomes romantic?

timeline. one of the side main characters stays back 400 years before he is even born and stays with the woman he loves....i could go on and on.

i put harold and maude last because there is no time travel but for the first time for me seeing a young 20 something with a 60 something actually was sweet and romantic....once you got past the visual thought.

i know there are more time travel examples....but what do you think. does it really matter if you travel back in time to be the same age as the one you love? do some people have to travel in time to find the one they love? why is a difference in age such a factor to the ones who can not travel in time?

message 2: by Gail (new)

Gail D.C. | 228 comments I think this is a subject worth some thought. But I must point out that is Somewhere In Time Jane Seymores cariture died the next day if I remember correctly and if not that day soon after the meeting so Christoper Reeve HAD to go back to meet and be with her.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

One thing I can say about time is that the title of this thread takes the most to read.

message 4: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 469 comments I liked most of these films;
though Maude, in "Harold and Maude" is actually 80.

I was once forced to endure "Kate and Leopold" on a cross country flight. The only thing worse was being endured to watch it yet again, on the return flight.(On an other airline)

If I had a week to live, I would watch "Kate and Leopold" once a day, if only to make each day seem like an eternity.

message 5: by Angie (new)

Angie The title is crazy Mike!

message 6: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments SOMEWHERE IN TIME is based on BID TIME RETURN by Richard Matheson whom I've written about in the horror forum: he's my favorite horror writer! He also adapted the film but had to give it a "happy" ending which is in stark contrast to the book's bleak and lonely finale.
I just reviewed TIME AFTER TIME (1979) which is a good popcorn science fiction time travel love story that is well acted, directed, and scored. I'll post my review because I think it's worth watching.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 58 comments I've seen Time After Time quite a few times, because it happened to be on cable a lot when I was young. Actually, it was my first Malcolm McDowell movie, so I thought he was this nice sweet guy (then later I saw Caligula and Clockwork Orange - zowie!). But, I really liked this movie about H.G. Wells and Jack the Ripper - they both travel to the "future," which I believe is the '80's. Mary Steenbergen is the love interest, which is how she and Mr. McDowell (in real life) hooked up. Jack Warner played the Ripper, and yes, he was menacing. Romantic, McDowell as Wells very well-meaning and absently heroic, and a scary serial killer - again, always a favorite of mine.

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) I had to check this conversation out, based on the title alone.

Of the time traveling films in addition to the list above: I enjoyed StarGate, StarMan, Wild Wild West, Star Trek, Back To The Future (At the time), bits and pieces of The Illustated Man.

With regards to ageless love I think about the Highlander, Jane Eyre, The Picture Of Dorian Grey(often referenced lately), and Sin City.