Anne Rice lovers! discussion

Other works > Any thoughts on the movies?

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 85 comments Mod
What do you think of the movie versions of Anne Rice's novels? I personally liked them but they weren't as good as the novels. What are your thoughts on the movies?

message 2: by Artemisa (new)

Artemisa (artemisashort) | 8 comments I liked interview with the vampire.
Booth tom cruise and antonio banderas are too old for their parts, but they are good enough actors, and i can forget it (i have seen the film for the first ime, before i read the book, i think).

I won't comment again on the film they call queen of the damned.

message 3: by silvia (new)

silvia I like enterview, its not perfect in fidelity to the book but is a good film.

QOD is just so awfull, and I wont say like I've heard some fans saying lestat casting is wrong because of the hair color... thats just a detail. If only the only problem whit the film was that!

they emptied it of all plot relevance asnd story, the old ones are prob freaks.

its a pitty cause I imagine the vampire lestat and queen of the damned easily being turned in a fantastic epic movie series

message 4: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (aesquibel25) I really liked Interview with the Vampire. It's one of my favorite movies but I actually watched it before I read the book. I think they did a good job with the movie but I haven't seen Queen of the Damned yet but I hear that it wasn't any good, question.. should I waste my time watching it?>

message 5: by Dylan (new)

Well, it's good, but the plot is all messed up. No pandora, daniel, or armand. And according to the movie Marius turned Lestat!!! That part pissed me off. So it's pretty good, the plot was just messed up. :D

message 6: by Jacquie (new)

Jacquie | 7 comments Loved Interview! Although not a huge fan of Tom Cruise I loved him as Lestat...Don't even get me started on Queen...that was one of the worst things I have ever seen...the first time I saw it I shut it off when they said Marius made Lestat...WTF? That ruins a major part of Anne's story and angered me! I thought it was too artsy and not enough talent to even be worth watching!

message 7: by silvia (new)

silvia and marius is un evil and perverse vampire! dont forget that.

but what relly pissed me off wasnt that fact they werent faithfull to anne's story, that movie just had no plot... it was a extralong videoclip

message 8: by Jacquie (new)

Jacquie | 7 comments I totally agree with that...they totally glossed over the whole birth of vampires and everything else that made Queen an interesting book and they also ruined any chance of making any other movies in my opinion. Also the violin player (who was a female) was that supposed to be Nikki? ( don't know if I spelled his name right)

message 9: by Dylan (new)

Jacquie, that may be Nikki, but I don't know. They totally butchered that book!

message 10: by Jacquie (new)

Jacquie | 7 comments That would be an understatment....I can't even watch the whole thing...although I will admit to liking when Lestat says come out come out where ever you are!

message 11: by Dylan (new)

Hahahaha. Yeah, but Stuart Townsend? UHG!!!!

message 12: by silvia (new)

silvia whod do you cast as lestat?

I think maybe jude law... although he maybe to pretty, but he's great at playing perverse/seducer

message 13: by Dylan (new)

Yeah Jude Law may work, would you think ethan hawke as well?

message 14: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 7 comments I think for casting Lestat you need to be devilishly charming - Jude Law is not a bad choice, though I think you could go for some one a bit younger, remember that Lestat was early 20's. The guy who is playing Edward in Twilight would be a good choice - Robert Pattinson though he would have to change his hair to blonde.

I hated Queen of the Damned - Stuart Townsend was just a really bad choice and there was no plot - nothing like the plot in the book.

I would love to see The Vampire Lestat made into a film but who would direct???

message 15: by Dylan (last edited Oct 04, 2008 07:30PM) (new)

Anne Rice said she took away movie rights. So there won't be any more movies.
:(
I think.

message 16: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (aesquibel25) Okay, definately won't be watching Queen of the Damned then lol... I'm fiercely protective of the books I love and to see them butchered is horrible. I would cast Hayden Christensen as Lestat.

message 17: by Dylan (new)

Hayden Christensen sounds good, I'd cast him too. :D

message 18: by Dylan (new)

Did you like The Witching Hour, Alexis? I was thinking of getting that one.

message 19: by Lianna (new)

Lianna Vigil (liannallama) | 1 comments Funny! I *hated* Tom Cruise, and I *adored* Stuart Townsend! I HATED the queen actress for that part--I forgot her name--alieah or something. I haven't seen the movie since it first came out--I think I should read the book and then watch it again.

I loved the hard, fast music they used--I don't think they could have been as successful using any other music and they couldn't have made the movie before that music's time.

I always hate how they take artistic license with plot and characters when they make a movie--why do they have to muck things up?

message 20: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (aesquibel25) I haven't read that one yet. I just finished reading Lasher last night and I don't know if I liked it that much but I wanted to give the Witching Hour a try anyways so i'll let you know when I read it. Have you read it? If so, is it any good?

message 21: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 7 comments Lasher was good but the Witching Hour is amazing - all the details are wonderfully descriptive. You'll love Alexis :)

Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (shadowrose) I loved both the movies even though they both have a fair amount of flaws, and that's mainly because I watched them before I started reading her books. But that's to be expect of the movie industry, they just have to change stuff.

message 23: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (aesquibel25) Thanks Hayley! I still can't decide if I liked Lasher all that much but The Witching Hour sounds interesting anyways so I can't wait to read it.

message 24: by Chaeya (new)

Chaeya | 3 comments So far I only liked Interview with a Vampire although I could have done without Antonio Bandaras as Armand. He was hot, but after reading the book, I couldn't accept him as Armand. I loved Tom Cruise. Oh wow! I was one of the biggest naysayers when I heard he had the part but when I saw him I honestly had to openly correct myself. My bad.

Queen of the Damned was a fiasco! Shame, because it had such potential. I loved Stuart Townsend, the lady who played Maharet and Aaliyah for the roles. I was horrified when I saw Marius. I wanted to go up and tear the theater apart I was so angry. I had been waiting months to see who would play Marius and they got this ugly dude. WTH? And to promote that Marius made Lestat????? I spent half the night talking to my husband and explaining what really happened. Afterwards, even he asked me why they didn't just follow the book --- which was far more interesting than the movie.

Another thing I hated was how they demonized Lestat. Lestat only preyed on evil doers at that point, he didn't kill randomly. I found the love story between him and Jesse amusing and she was so lame it was pathetic. She's pretty, just needs to learn how to show emotion and ACT.

Lestat was the brat prince for me. He is dreadfully charming and mischievous, but he could be very emotional about certain things which is what I found beautiful about him. The movie just turned him into a brat punk, brooding and indifferent. He just kind of went wherever the wind blew with an "oh well" type of attitude. They tried to make the movie all gothy when these people don't understand the first thing about goth culture, just the clothes and thinking everyone is angry to one another. Typical Hollywood bullshit of not getting their facts straight because they're too busy trying to sensationalize everything.

Since everyone's doing remakes, I'd like to see them try again with The Vampire Lestat instead of Queen of the Damned.

message 25: by Michala (new)

Michala (adorabelledearheart) | 5 comments silvia (bnoir) wrote: "I like enterview, its not perfect in fidelity to the book but is a good film.

QOD is just so awfull, and I wont say like I've heard some fans saying lestat casting is wrong because of the hair c..."

i hated queen of the damned as a movie love the book the detail you talked about \Lestats hair being the wrong colour so is armands in interview if i remember right he a red head aint he ???

message 26: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 16 comments yeah and Armond looks like a teen supposedly. But casting is often a mess.

message 27: by Michala (new)

Michala (adorabelledearheart) | 5 comments Terri wrote: "yeah and Armond looks like a teen supposedly. But casting is often a mess."

sigh yea i guess Armand got to me with the movie i have to say but i have a real soft spot for him lol

message 28: by April (new)

April Woosley | 4 comments you now they were going to make a movie of the Mayfair Chronicles but then when the director of the company changed they lost intrest in it?

message 29: by Tina (new)

Tina | 7 comments I liked Interview, probably because of Christian Slater. I'm a big fan of his. I didn't mind Tom Cruise as Lestat and I did adore Brad Pitt as Louie.

I did NOT LIKE Queen of the Dammned. That was one of my favorite books and I felt they didn't and can't do it justice.

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura Jerwood | 2 comments I saw "Interview" which prompted my search for the books - and got hooked!

Despite some of the casting issues, such as Armand and Lestat not really being " as desribed" I still love the film - the story and plot and feeling is still there.

Like many others, Queen of the Damned was just a damned disappointment! It should come with a disclaimer that says the story is only 5% affiliated with the actual book. It was on TV the other night and I could feel by teeth start to grind.

Havent seen any other books by Anne as movies or TV specials. To be honest I'm not sure I would want to as who would be up to the job of translating them onto the screen?

message 31: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 04, 2011 04:07AM) (new)

Hey everyone I just started reading Anne Rice's work and I have to say that I agree with the majority of you. After recently starting Anne Rice's graphic novel on Lestat, I realized that he is nothing like his character in Queen of the Damned(which I found to be a rather disappointing movie, in the first place). An while I can't say for certain how I feel about the book, I will say I'm enjoying it so far. An I'm looking forward to reading her others.

As for The Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice, I'll have to let you all know how I felt after reading it. Though I'm pretty sure, I'll probably favor it over the movie. For as someone already stated, Hollywood tends to screw up books and let people down. For like myself, most people have certain expectations on how the movie should be played out and who should be casted and such. An when the time comes, the majority are usually let down. An while I understand they can't make the movies exactly like the books, they should at least do the author justice. An after seeing Queen of the Damned, I can't blame Anne Rice for taking the rights away.

Though I will say, it would of been interesting(at least in my opinion), if her books were made into a series. For then they could add more details, therefore possibly make it potentially better.

message 32: by N.J. (new)

N.J. Slater | 21 comments What is Exit to Eden like?

message 33: by Dorian (new)

Dorian Jandreau (doriandejandreau) | 3 comments Books are ALWAYS better. Well about movies..... Interview was good. I liked it. It has something that touches my heart. I love all actors. But Queen movie......... Mon Dieu.... I liked JUST music. Everything else was.....really bad. I get disappointed and angry when movies do not follow books.