Humor is My Genre discussion

Thoughts of the Good Old Days

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Red (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:06PM) (new)

Red Evans | 12 comments Mod
Milk Duds

One of the things I miss from my youth in my home town of North Charleston, South Carolina is going to the movies on Saturday afternoon. It was something I looked forward to every week unless my mother was going take me to downtown Charleston which was even better, because I knew that before we got home, she would let me go the S.H. Kress five and dime store on King Street.

Now, Kress’ had a killer toy department where I would spend most of my time ... time, not money. I spent a dime of the fifty cents my mother gave me for these excursions but not in the toy department. Oh no, I headed for the candy counter to buy my second favorite candy, little chocolate discs sprinkled with tiny white sugar dots. I don’t remember what they were called.

Occasionally, if I had done some extra chore, I had a few cents more which I did spend in the toy department, usually for lead soldiers or a tin car.

My first favorite candy was what we, my brother, and I got at the Port Theater at the afternoon movie matinee: Milk Duds. By the time I left the adolescent phase of my life, I had consumed in the neighborhood of 80 million Milk Duds, Quite a neighborhood.

I thought Milk Duds were organic, grown somewhere around the theater, because they always had milk duds. They were out of some things at one time or another, but never out of milk duds. I thought there was a Milk Dud tree or bush hidden by the fence behind the theater’s Quonset style building.

I even snuck back there one time thinking that if I could find the milk dud tree, I could have all the milk duds I ever wanted. Since the theater was only five blocks from home, I could go by there after school and pick me some milk duds and wouldn’t have to wait for Saturday. I’d bring in my best buddy, Snicky, to go with me.

One afternoon, me and snicky slipped around back of the theater to look for the Milk Dud tree. We found an old milk crate and used it to help climb the fence. We sat astraddle the top and surveyed the trash-strewn area behind the theater service entrance.
Three trees, one oak, a gum tree and a chinaberry tree, the berries of which, for a minute, I thought were unripe milk duds. Snicky said he had seen a chinaberry tree before and that was what that tree was. There were a few buttonbushes too, but no Milk Dud tree. We finally concluded that Milk Duds were probably farmed on John’s Island, just South of Charleston and were delivered weekly to the Port Theater.

Soon, Snicky and I discovered girls and the origin of Milk Duds plummeted as a priority in our life. I don’t recall how long we believed they were a product of agriculture. I think trying to understand girls became of greater importance to me. However, I never solved that riddle either.

Red Evans author On Ice To order, click on http://www.amazon.com/Ice-Red-Evans/d...

message 2: by Fredstrong (new)

Fredstrong | 4 comments There were good old days?