The Odyssey The Odyssey discussion

nice one

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lorizelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:06PM) (new)

Lorizelle this is so nice can i have an exerpt epic for this? heheheheh....please.......only for a project in our school

message 2: by Brittany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:29PM) (new)

Brittany B. I would have to disagree. Homer wrote this book to teach us a lesson. He wanted to show that we may enjoy the riches in life, but in the end we find thigs like family to important. But sometimes it's to late

message 3: by Brittany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:29PM) (new)

Brittany B. I would have to disagree. Homer wrote this book to teach us a lesson. He wanted to show that we may enjoy the riches in life, but in the end we find thigs like family to important. But sometimes it's to late

Zander Is it good I haven't? read it.

message 5: by Ruby (new)

Ruby yeah, how long is the book? i havent read it either....i've only read a couple classics so to speak

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought this book was about how it's fun to lock people up your house and chase them through the rooms around and around, slaughtering them. My bad.

message 7: by Ruby (new)

Ruby what do u mean brendan

Zander What are you talking about?

jenny. Hahaha! I believe that dear Brendan could be possibly referring to the scene with the Cyclops?

This wasn't my thing. I had to read a translation that was written in novel format, not the original epic style. Either way, I don't think I would have enjoyed it. I suppose I'm not one for mythology. (Wonder where I threw that book around, anyway..)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't want to spoil the ending, so, umm, if you haven't read it yet, look away.

But the grand finale finds Odysseus and his homies coming home and slaughtering the people who were trying to have their way with his mom.

message 11: by Ruby (new)

Ruby ok, but that wasn't the main point in the book. and besides it wasnt "fun" by any means, i'd bet.

and no i haven't read the book, and now i dont intend too.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

The Odyssey is FUN. Strapped to the mast, fighting off man-eating, one-eyed giants, enslaved by a hot, powerful sorceress, all while your momma is ducking and weaving and avoiding the naughty advances of those, those THUGS.

And when O-Dog gets home, man....you all are in TROOOUBLLLLLLE.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Anyway, _The Odyssey_ really is a good read. It may sound gruesome and bloody, and there are some gruesome scenes, but it's much more of a seaborne swashbuckling adventure than a war epic like _The Iliad_. Many people who hate _The Iliad_'s endless battles fall in love with _The Odyssey_. Some consider it the first novel of Western Literature.

message 14: by Ruby (new)

Ruby ok, im like friggin confused. is The Odyssey a good read or not. yes or not question.

message 15: by Bryan (new)

Bryan The answer is Yes. It's been on the Western Civ bestseller list for millenia. Read it.

message 16: by Ruby (new)

Ruby okay, thnx thats all i wanted to kno. god how hard is it to get a straight answer? jeez

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

yeah! the odisseey is rilly awsomes. there r advntures n thngz.

message 18: by Ruby (new)

Ruby y couldnt u just say that in the begining instead of goin on about killing ppl?

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Hahahahahah. Wow. I love the Internet.

Sorry for confusing you. It's good, but gory sometimes.

Cheers!

message 20: by Bryan (last edited Jun 18, 2008 01:54PM) (new)

Bryan Shame on you for injecting your personality into a discussion. Learn how to give a flat, plain answer.

Ruby, you must forgive Brendan. He seizes with great relish any opportunity to talk about killing people. It's his 2nd favorite subject.

message 21: by Ruby (new)

Ruby yeah i can see that. but if killing ppl is his 2nd fave whats his 1st? nvm i dont want to kno..

Zander what is his favorite?

message 23: by Alford (new) - added it

Alford Wayman Ruby wrote: "ok, im like friggin confused. is The Odyssey a good read or not. yes or not question. "

You bet The Odyssey is an excellent read. Joseph Campbell used Homer and other to help George Lucas write the script for Star Wars. Luke Sky Walker is almost like A modern Odysseus. Watch it here!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q50SoQ...