Language & Grammar discussion

Word Games > Fake Etymologies

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

Debbie (sardonicprincessofcheerfulness) | 6387 comments Mod
Moe thought this might be fun, but I got sick of waiting for her to start it....here goes!

Palindrome.(noun)
Originated relatively recently in the wilds of Alaska. Applies to takeoff and landing strips used by Sarah Palin and family members in their various pursuits, political and recreational.

I bet the rest of you can come up with much better than that so come on!

message 2: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa Parliament: a storage area for liars of stellar ability, from park of liars (Chaucers "pach lors") and a contraction of firmament.
Similar to congress (from field of tricksters in Mohawk).

message 3: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

Teehee!

message 4: by Savvy (last edited Sep 29, 2008 11:26AM) (new)

Savvy  (savvysuzdolcefarniente) | 1456 comments Boondocks: noun plural
Origin: ALUET Eskimauan Indian from bunn=good and douxe=view

Any of several destinations having extra long Palindromes (see above def.) and within close proximity of and providing a clear view of Russia.

message 5: by David (new)

David | 4568 comments "Teehee," first tittered derisively by a paleontologist at the American Museum of Natural History when a colleague claimed he was able to determine the sex of a fossilized T. Rex skeleton.

Popularized in a New Yorker essay by Berton Roueché in 1956.

message 6: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

T.He, of course (his name WAS Rex!)

message 7: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa banker: rhyming slang for someone who's activity benefits only themselves...actually this might not be a fake etymology.

message 8: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

That would be a definition....an etymology explains the origins of a word. So how and where did this piece of rhyming slang originate?

message 9: by Old-Barbarossa (last edited Sep 29, 2008 02:38AM) (new)

Old-Barbarossa Splitting hairs a wee bit on a comedy thread Debbie, but OK, I'll try again.
Banker: from English rhyming slang commonly used amongst the criminal classes, rhymes with the term used for someone that participates in "self love" or onanism, a person who's activity benefits only themselves, first recorded in 1560 and later common in Marlowes work, now a common term for someone active in the financial markets. Sorry, it would be rude to mention the other word on this thread.

message 10: by David (last edited Sep 29, 2008 07:17AM) (new)

David | 4568 comments Jack Omohundro, butcher to Lord Marlborough, was meticulous to a fault. He'd take hours to dress game. Lord M., famished one evening after a hunt, was heard to exclaim, "That fool is taking his own sweet time splitting hares again! Bring me my cane!"

The phrase thus hopped its way into history.

message 11: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa And there's me tip-toeing round the word...

message 12: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa Angel: first applied to vain nobles in Tuscany that spent too much money on hair care products, first written record in Dantes' work, from the Florentine street slang "ango d' gell" (he of the heavily gelled hair). Later adopted to apply to any figure with elaborate hair...with or without wings.

message 13: by Savvy (new)

Savvy  (savvysuzdolcefarniente) | 1456 comments Veeery funny Barbarossa!

Do you think that LOS ANGELES might have taken it's name from it's big-hair-do days then???

message 14: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

Very likely....I wasn't splitting hares Barbarossa....merely looking for the more amusing part of the post. You guys are goooood!! I will just sit back and appreciate it all.......
By the way Donna.....wan cur....hahahahaha!!!

message 15: by David (new)

David | 4568 comments "Bailout," from the Australian slang "bay lout," referring to the swarms of layabouts, drifters and grifters common on that country's waterfronts. Later applied affectionately to Skull 'N' Bones alumni who start drinking before the sun rises over the yardarm, nostalgic for the days when they really could sing barbershop.

When the Yalies hit the public trough the term was applied to them by New York Times columnist Arthur C. Krock.

As they say at Goldman, Sachs, "All your swill are belong to US!"

message 16: by Tom (last edited Nov 30, 2008 06:51AM) (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) | 996 comments Y'all: In the late 17th and early 18th centuries, sailors to the British colonies would often use a small rowboat called a yawl to reach shore where there were no port facilities. Sailors coming ashore in the inlets and coves of the Carolinas would often be greeted with the question "how's the yawl doing," especially if there was some diffuculty during the landing. The question originally referred the vessel itself, but gradually came to include the crew, eventually to the exclusion of the boat. About this time, the phrase was shortened to "how yawl doing." As piers and other landing facilities were built up and down the coast the question came to be directed at any sailors as they came ashore, whether by boat or by walking down a gangplank. By approximately the late 1730s any group of sailors might be addressed collectively as "yawl" at any time, whether on land or at sea, and by 1750 any group of people might be so addressed. By the time of the American Revolution, this usage had spread as far north as Chesapeake Bay and as far south as Savannah. Later folk etymologists would assume that the word was a contraction of "you all" and standardized the "y'all" spelling.

message 17: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

Brilliant Tom!

message 18: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18352 comments Mod
Cool. I love stories like this...

message 19: by Boreal Elizabeth (last edited Dec 01, 2008 09:22PM) (new)

Boreal Elizabeth | 401 comments and the boat got its name because the design was made by an indentured servant who longed to sail the seven seas as he sat by a tiny window in a dank and dusky shoemakers shop painstakingly sewing leather uppers (or lowers-the exact piece is lost in the mists of time)...with his yellow awl

message 20: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

Go moe!!!! More?

message 21: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa Hangover: a corruption of Hannover. The lesser know Hannover Beer Festival competed for many years with the more famous Bavarian festival held in Munchen. It fell out of favour due to the state encouraged over indulgence that occured in Lower Saxony, Hannover always feeling it had to out-do their Bavarian rivals. As a result it became common to refer to any illness as a result of enthusiastic alcohol abuse by refering to Hannover (eg "You look like you've been to Hannover."), eventually being shortened to "you look Hannover", this became corrupted into hangover in English.

message 22: by Old-Barbarossa (last edited Dec 05, 2008 06:07AM) (new)

Old-Barbarossa Hey Anna, that's all true...I saw a doc on the Discovery Channel (between films about the Nazi/Da Vinci pyramids that were built by super sharks for the Templars). Is the word Houron or Mohawk in origin? I think it's mentioned in one of their origin myths, kind of an evil version of the Celtic salmon of knowledge.
I shall now refer to all in the legal industry as "burbots". Thank you...you cheered me up today.

message 23: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa Oh...it actually is a real fish...just googled it...it truly is.
I was just havering for chuckles on post 26...caveat lector on all my posts.
The fact it's real is even better...

message 24: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18352 comments Mod
Good 'un, Anna! You may have that extension (at 10 pts off a day).