Between the Lines discussion

Archive > December 2008 Book 2: Marley & Me by John Grogan

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Our second book for December 2008 is Marley Me.

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) I read Marley and Me a couple of years ago and loved it. It made me cry so hard and a lot of it reminded me of the way my dog behaves. I'll probably reread it when everyone else is reading it.

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill Marley and Me is what I call "my freezer book"(a reference to an episode of Friends). It made me so sad, I had to put it away because I didn't want the inevitable to happen. As a side note, I met John Grogan at a book signing a couple years ago and he is awesome. Definitely worth a second read.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I just bought and read my son Bad dog Marley the children's book by Grogan. It was so cute. We have read it almost every night! A good book for kids!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Side note movie comes out I think in December!

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) Emilee, my son is 7. Do you think he'd enjoy Bad Dog Marley? Are you going to see the movie?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

My son will be 7 next month and loves it. He would really enjoy it.

I plan on seeing the movie! How about you?

message 8: by Jill (new)

Jill There are actually three versions of Marley and Me.
The movie stars Jennifer Aniston who I think will be wonderful.

message 9: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) Emilee, thanks for the info. I'm going to buy Bad Dog Marley next time I'm at Borders and yes, I will see the movie!!! I can't wait! Jill, I know what you mean about Marley and Me being so sad you wanted to delay the inevitable. I get choked up just thinking about the book. When I tell people that should read the book I always tell them to keep a big box of kleenex with them!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I know to buy kleenex when I start to read then!

message 11: by Jill (new)

Jill Emilee- I work in the court system and I was quietly reading Marley in the back of a courtroom when I hit a particularly poignant spot...tears running down my face. :) Classy! Of course, people always ask what you are reading and when they see Marley's happy face on the front, they just don't understand how it can be upsetting. It takes a dog owner/lover to fully appreciate Marley.

message 12: by Mandy (new)

Mandy This is one of my favourites. I may be biased because I have a gorgeous labrador Karri who is a little princess. It made me remember how she was when she was a puppy, just bits, not all the wrecking stuff. We're actually in the process of getting Karri a friend at the moment.

Anyway I hope you guys love this book as much as I did. I admit it's not for everyone, if you don't love dogs you mightn't get as much out of it. Be sure to have tissues handy.

message 13: by Christina Stind (new)

Christina Stind I've put off reading 'Marley and Me' because I thought it would be sad but I'm starting to think about reading it again because I thought only the ending would be sad ... but now you're telling me the whole book is sad?! Darn it ... maybe I should just forget about it then ...

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

The movie comes out on Christmas. I need to be done with it by then.

message 15: by Ann from S.C. (new)

Ann from S.C. | 14 comments I read it in November and loved it! We want to see the movie! Anyone know what it is rated?

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it's PG-13 I'm taking the kids on Christmas. I better double check the rating.

message 17: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) I'm pretty sure it's PG-13. I want to take my 7 year old to see it so I hope it is. From the previews I've seen it looks like a cute movie!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I looked online says PG. Sad thing is that Bedtime Stories is also out on Christmas & it looks really good too!

message 19: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (petra-x) I don't have the problem of which movie to go and see as there isn't a cinema here. A local supermarket owner (and friend) has been building a five-screen cinema with bowling alley and Lord knows what else for six or more years now. So maybe next year I'll get to see a Christmas movie.

message 20: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 7 comments I am really enjoying reading this book. I am planning on going to see the movie on Christmas Day, so I am desperately trying to get it finished before then!

message 21: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 7 comments I just finished Marley and Me. I really enjoyed it and it reminded me of my dog (Tucker is part Lab and part Beagle). The ending was a little sad, but also heartwarming at the same time!

message 22: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) I finished Marley and Me. It was really good, I'm glad I read it. I grew up with a yellow lab and he was the best family pet!

message 23: by Katie (new)

Katie Flora Wilkins (kflora) I just can't do the book or the movie. We have a yellow lab who strayed up to our door 5 years ago. However, I can't do any books or movies that deal with animals. The first movie my parents took me to, when I was three, was "The Incredible Journey." It wasn't a good outing, as we had a beloved Siamese cat at home. My parents had to take me out about half-way into the movie because I was having a total meltdown. I can't do the animal thing with movies or books.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I lovedthe book. Sobbed my guts out. Great book.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) Nowhere near as good as I thought it would be. :(