Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Friday Questions > Question #15: A chill in the air and its book

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danine (new)

Danine (dulcemea) As Autumn approaches, what books make you think of the chill in the air and fall time activities such as football games, Halloween, and Apple Cider?

This Friday Question brought to you by: Laurie

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 35 comments Anything Stephen King, especially his early stuff like Carrie. (Answer to question - what books make you think of the chill in the air and fall time activities such as football games, Halloween and apple cider).

Sarah

message 3: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments Although most of the book takes place in the summer, To Kill A Mockingbird's incredible Halloween scene at the end of the book will always mean autumn to me.

message 4: by Tracy (new)

Tracy I love the "Home Repair is Homicide" series by Sarah Graves. The books are set in a small town in Maine, with old houses, crisp air, festivals, all the good fall stuff. I really, really miss Autumn in New England.

The first book in the series is The Dead Cat Bounce: A Home Repair is Homicide Mystery

message 5: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 741 comments My Winning Season by Pat Conroy. Has anyone read it? I am dying to talk about it and his other books. I am a huge fan of Pat Conroy until this book.

message 6: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (sir_reads_a_lot) Frankienstien, because I think of him as a monster, and that automatically makes me think of Halloween.

message 7: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 335 comments
I haven't read My Winning Season but I've read a lot of Conroy's other books-I love him.

This October I am reading Dracula, Frankenstein, and House of Leaves-hopefully I'll get through all three without getting too creeped out!

message 8: by Liz (new)

Liz (busy91) I'm reading Frankenstein now. I want to read Dracula also before the month is out, but there are so many books waiting in the wings.

message 9: by Liz B (new)

Liz B (lizb) | 104 comments Isn't it My Losing Season?

Anyway, I really loved that book, although it's been a few years since I read it. My favorite by him is Beach Music. I haven't read his earliest books.

message 10: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (laurie0303) | 60 comments Dracula by Bram Stoker reminds me of fall/Halloween. The Harry Potter series also reminds me of fall, because they all start with him heading off to school in the fall.

message 11: by Molly (new)

Molly | 330 comments This is kind of depressing but I honestly thought of the beginning chapters of In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. When the Clutter family is described so beautifully participating in 4H Club type activities - baking pies, crisp days. Although I believe that moment of their lives is closer to Thanksgiving, it still paints a pretty picture of fall before the horror occurs.

message 12: by Ed (new)

Ed (ejhahn) | 235 comments "O'Reilly of Notre Dame" - I must have read this book a half dozen times when I was a youngster. Written in 1939 but timeless nevertheless.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Dead Cat Bounce (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sarah Graves (other topics)