300: The Art of the Film 300 discussion

300 or Gates of Fire?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Otis (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:52AM) (new)

Otis Chandler Which do people like? I've read Gates of Fire, and it was an amazing story. I really remember I was struck by what an advanced culture the Spartans had. I know nothing of Frank Miller books though... worth reading?

message 2: by Patrick (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:53AM) (new)

Patrick Well, it looks like Gates of Fire is a lot more historically accurate and realistic than 300.

300, being a comic book, opts for more action and less accuracy. That carried over into the movie a lot, too.

If you like comics and you like the story of Thermopylae then you'll probably like 300. If you aren't a comic book fan you might not enjoy it.

message 3: by M.Hossein (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:53AM) (new)

M.Hossein Eftekhari it'a amazing that what the director has shown in this film! :D, it was about spartas or he want to show that the Iranian people were wild and they had no civilization!!!? in my opinion, if everybody had had some study about history of Persian and their civilization he/she was watching this movie just for fun!!! about the book itself,I agree with Patrick ;)

message 4: by Jorge (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:53AM) (new)

Jorge It's a special comic, the Termopilae battle isn't a usual topic in the comic-book world. But the off-voice, the Leonidas thoughts are ridiculous, they mean so XXIth century.. A noir style well introduced in Dark knight returns or Born again (both of Miller); here is anacronic, like being the Ost a song by Nine inch nails..

A history of ultraviolence, something that interests Miller more and more; (at least, before it use to be with some kind of morality, in a pseudo Clint Eastwood style); is a comic easy to read, it don´t make think. So he studies a historic tale, but a tale about the spartan society, nothing better than a warrior society.

Is a battle almost lost, 300 warriors who will be the example of the rest, they had to battle 4 millions of enemies, against 'all Asia', and so, there is a lot of blood.

It's sad, existing masterpieces (or almost) like Born again or Dark knight; the Miller´s image will be asociated to this garbage (hope i'll be wrong). With so many poor movies based in comics (Catwoman, Elektra, Constantine, Ghost rider, League of extraordinary gentlemen...), will happen the opposite to the way that X-men iniciated, giving comic-book movies a good name.

Bye!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Ill tell everyone right now that 300 is not at all historically accurate. The only thing right about it is the names and that they fought Persia. Still, cool enough movie.

message 6: by Wayne Baxter (new)

Wayne Baxter 300 was prettier and had better dance scenes, but Gates of Fire was a little more realistic.

I always wondered how would one train to push back an opposing shield wall, and tree (er) grinding was the answer.

message 7: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I don't think Miller means 300 to accurate at all! It's supposed to be beautiful to look at, despite it's grisly topic. You are supposed to admire the courage, loyalty and perseverance, not dwell on the history. A bit like the Iliad, not realistic, but much more exciting to read than your scholastic history book!

message 8: by Wayne Baxter (last edited Dec 29, 2008 01:02PM) (new)

Wayne Baxter Kandice wrote: "I don't think Miller means 300 to accurate at all! It's supposed to be beautiful to look at, despite it's grisly topic. You are supposed to admire the courage, loyalty and perseverance, not dwell o..."

Historical fiction is just that historical. To those who have a historical bent to their minds the two versions placed side by side is like comparing a cherry flavored bubble gum to a real cherry.

It isn't stale scholastics that causes some to want more accuracy. The accuracy of Gates of Fire give us markers to help stake our imagination into the time period of that story. It places what we have learned already of Sparta and Greece in general into context and makes them more alive.

If a person with more than a passing familiarity for the topic should pick up a story and run across a story point that isn't factual it sets off a kind of discordant wave in that person mind. One or two of these bumps can be distracting. It doesn't throw off the story train, but depending on ones geekiness in history it can be irritating.

As for me 300 is bubble gum and Gates of fire is rib roast. If I want quick entertainment I go to the Graphic novel, but for total immersion I go to the book.

message 9: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Wayne- I couldn't agree with you more! I am incredibly interested in the fall of Rome, and Egypt's plight during that time frame. I will read just about anything on the subject, but am well aware that some of it is just "bubblegum" (to borrow your word:) I am still entertained.

message 10: by Wayne Baxter (new)

Wayne Baxter Kandice wrote: "Wayne- I couldn't agree with you more! I am incredibly interested in the fall of Rome, and Egypt's plight during that time frame. I will read just about anything on the subject, but am well aware t..."

Amen Kandice

message 11: by Peter (new)

Peter Garbett Gates of Fire could be made into the greatest historical movie ever made.Ridley Scott should direct with Troy actors Banner,Pitt in the Sparta ranks including Winslett as the SPARTAN Queen,Hopkins would make a fine Xerxes along with de caprio and Damon in the PERSIAN ranks.RUSSELL CROWE for LEONIDOUS i think.
Scott must stick to the facts as written in the book,TROY drifted from the ILIAD as did Alexander from what we know and Farrell for me was miscast in the role.