Movies We've Just Watched discussion

LISTS, LISTS, AND MORE LISTS > Favorite Halloween Movie

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 42 comments What's your favorite Halloween movie?

My favorite is The Midnight Hour w/Shari Belafonte, Peter DeLouise, Lee Montgomery, Jonna Lee and THE Lavar Burton.

From imdb.com:
"Phil, Melissa, Mitch, Mary, and Vinnie are high school friends, who unwittingly raise the dead on Halloween night. Once the dead have returned, Pitchford Cove will never be the same again....or will it?"

Has anyone else seen this movie? I think it was a made-for-tv movie that played predominantly in the mid-west/east coast. I paid a lot of money to get it on DVD from a specialty store.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089593/

message 2: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) My favorite Halloween movie is, well, Halloween. It just epitomizes the holiday for me. Probably because it takes place on one Halloween night.

Nicole, I've never heard of that movie.

message 3: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments I've never seen The Midnight Hour either...I'll browse for it the next time I go to the video store.

Halloween is a classic, no doubt.

But I like to delve into the 50's horror films for Halloween, usually some silly campy thing, like Teenagers from Outer Space, The Blob, Attack of the 50 Foot Woman - something that is funny and wholly ridiculous. I don't take the gothic aspect of the holiday very seriously, and since I live in California, where we have some perpetual version of summer year-round (fall? what's that?) it's hard to get into the spirit of "the season".

message 4: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) | 169 comments HOCUS POCUS is my favorite Halloween movie. It's funny and it's by Disney so what's not to love?

message 5: by WitchyFingers (new)

WitchyFingers Okay, I have to second Hocus Pocus. It is a great, funny, dark, weird, slightly scary movie. I try to watch it every year for Halloween.

After that, Halloween and Halloween II are my absolute favorites.

And finally, The Shining. Nothing could be better to play as you are getting dressed to go out on Halloween night (except maybe Halloween or Halloween II!!)

message 6: by Ed (new)

Ed | 219 comments Mod
I need to see the Midnight Hour..wonder if netflix carries it.

message 7: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Nightmare Before Christmas is one of my husband's and my favorite movies. I can't believe we don't own it. Think I'll send the Mister out to buy it tomorrow. I think my little boy would enjoy it.

I usually don't have the patience for most musicals, but I loved all the songs in this movie. Especially "kidnap the Sandy Claws, chop him into bits." It's just perfect.

Uhm, I don't seem to remember liking Halloween 3...except for the exploding heads.

I also like watching Alien & Aliens in October.

I used to love The Howling, but I watched it not long ago and it's a lot more cheesy than I remembered. But the f/x are still pretty scary.

And as for older spooky movies I like The Incredible Shrinking Man.

Anyone ever see a movie called Don't Look in the Basement? It's really bad but scared me when I was a kid.

message 8: by Jim (last edited Sep 27, 2008 06:10AM) (new)

Jim (jim_) Good calls on Nightmare Before Christmas and Hocus Pocus.

The Lost Boys is my fave Halloween movie. "Michael. Don't drink that, it's blood."

How about some others:

Charlie Brown's The Great Pumpkin
The House Of The Seven Gables
Buffy The Vampire Slayer - Too funny
Casper - Something for kids and adults
Houdini - That whole myth
The The Last Man On Earth followed by The Night Of The Dead.
Addam's Family Movies (Not quite as good as say
Addam's Family - TV Marathon)
Mystery Science Theatre Movies and Elvira presentations - too invoke the bad movie spirit in all of us

message 9: by BumbleBrie (last edited Oct 05, 2008 04:58AM) (new)

BumbleBrie Bourn (blktoast) | 13 comments I agree that the Nightmare Before Christmas is great- I own it on DVD, and I watch it year round. This is one of my top 10 favs.

message 10: by Angie (last edited Sep 27, 2008 08:52AM) (new)

Angie I always like to watch a Disney Halloween. It reminds me of when I was a kid. The Disney channel no longer plays it... but sometimes you can find the original on VHS. They did make a sorta remake from this show called house of mouse that you can find on DVD. I will always love those classic cartoons the original has.

And of course: It's the great Pumpkin Charlie Brown! I love it when Lionel passes out! Classic.

Nightmare Before Christmas is the BEST. For the past two years they had been playing it in the theater in 3D. Looks like this year they aren't, but I was excited to see the new edition released on DVD. Happy Halloween!

message 11: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments From the sound of it, I've never seen Halloween 3 (how is that possible?).

I haven't seen The Howling for a long time, but back when it came out, I regarded it highly. Perhaps the special effects don't hold up well, but I remember liking the story and thinking the suspense was well done.

message 12: by Richelle (new)

Richelle Robinson (sseashell1243) | 8 comments oh man i have favorites....
hocus pocus
cursed
dont look under the bed
halloween
halloween 2
halloween h20
sleepy hollow
lost boys
elvira mistress of the dark
the craft

message 13: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) "I have Don't Look in the Basement on an old vhs tape. It's so low budget, it looks like it was made in someone's backyard, but it has it's charms."

My God, why am I surprised? Somehow I knew of all the people here, you would have seen this movie. But owning it? I. am. amazed.

Oh, I love The Howling and there are some scenes in that movie that still give me nightmares (I have an irrational fear of werewolves). And for me the f/x still hold up, but I guess it's just the setting of the movie and some of the not-so-great acting, aside from Dee Wallace. I don't know, it just didn't age well for me.

Another movie that didn't age well is Evil Dead. I loved that movie back when it first came out and told my husband how fantastic the f/x are. We sat and watched it and I blushed from embarrassment at how amateurish it looks to me now. He hated it.

I need to give H3 another go. Maybe it'll come on TV next month.

message 14: by Maryanne (new)

Maryanne Raphael (maryanneraphael) | 250 comments Just got the sad news that Paul Newman died. he was one of my favorite actors for many years.
Maryanne

message 15: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I have to agree that the original Halloween movie (I must have been 14 when I first saw it) is as creepy as it gets!

message 16: by WitchyFingers (new)

WitchyFingers I've never been a fan of The Howling, but I just don't find werewolves interesting/scary/entertaining.

Okay, here is a random Halloween movie, but one that my brother always said scared him to death: Ernest Scared Stupid.

message 17: by Gail (new)

Gail D.C. | 228 comments I agree with Garfield Candy,Candy,Candy!!!

Love Charlie Brown Haloween with Snoopy as the flying Ace.

Loved watching a Disney Halloween such great memories!

Some other faves are

Lady In White -1988 What a great old fashioned edge of your seat scare the pants off you thriller. Not a halloween one but good and thrilling all the same.

Sleepy Hallow- The animated one from Disney. Not that impressed with the one Jonny Depp did.

and now here is the mentel block we all experence. I know there are a few more but can I think of them!

Just came accross seveal I love all with the Master himself Vincent Price!

Pit and the Pendulm
Fall of the House of Usher
The Raven

There are a few more I can't think of but I loved watching him and even just to hear his voice. Sitting here thinking about it I can hear his voice in my head, the resonance of it I get chills just thinking of it. Love Love Love VP!!!

message 18: by Phillip (last edited Sep 28, 2008 02:14AM) (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments Rob,

I'm down with you, it's all about Evil Dead. Simple. Effective. Funny. Creepy.

AND: I agree - Slim Pickens was born to play a werewolf.

Gail,
I'm a Vincent Price fan, I liked seeing him in his final role in Edward Scissorhands. I'm glad you mentioned a few classics, and there's also The Fly (the original). And I know it's a kind of a rank film, but The Abominable Doctor Phibes is, for some reason, one of my all-time favorite horror films (definitely a nostalgia thing, it's NOT a well made film, but the camp value is ridiculously high).

message 19: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments Halloween and Halloween H20... and of course the Nightmare Before Christmas... it's a perfect film. One more favorite is The Stuff... anyone seen it? It's not really a Halloween-themed movie but is hilarious and delightfully creepy.

http://www.horrormovies.org/horrormov...

I know my new favorite will be the Coraline film once it's out...

message 20: by Gail (new)

Gail D.C. | 228 comments Phillip I had forgotten Dr Phibes also wasnt there a return of Dr Phibes also there was the House of Wax! As you say Dr. Phibes was quite grusume but still good.

message 21: by Phillip (last edited Sep 28, 2008 10:31AM) (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments Hi Gail,

The Return of Doctor Phibes was pretty bad. The first one did well at the box office (I saw it when I was a kid when it first came out), so i guess they felt inclined to make another.

Wow, I thought House of Wax was on your first list...I guess my mind saw it there...that's a great one!

message 22: by Gail (new)

Gail D.C. | 228 comments Rob Would have LOVED to meet VP that would have been the Best!!!

message 23: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments I don't think I've seen Theater of Blood. I'll have to get on that.

yes, phibes is all about that wholly unique morsel known as 70's british (campy) horror.

message 24: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5485 comments THEATRE OF BLOOD is very much in that British Camp tradition. A lot of good nasty fun.

message 25: by Angie (new)

Angie What about the Frighteners? I know it is a goofy movie but I like to watch it ever now and then.

message 26: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments I'll check out Theater of Blood soon.

I liked the Frighteners all right when it came out. It had a nice blend of humor and fright gags. It didn't change my life, and yeah, it's a bit goofy, but I found it entertaining.

message 27: by Alison (last edited Oct 02, 2008 10:00AM) (new)

Alison 1. Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin
2. Halloween (John Carptenter's)
3. Donnie Darko

And I have to add

4. Nightmare on Elm Street

because it always seems to be on TV on Halloween night, and I always associate it with the actual DAY OF.

:)

Another list....

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,72626...

message 28: by Angie (last edited Oct 02, 2008 12:02PM) (new)

Angie OK one of my favorite classics is the Canterville Ghost, 1944 version. Though I also liked the 1986 version also. The 1944 is a must see if you have not seen it.

I just looked this up and it seems neither edition has been released on DVD. :( Very sad.

message 29: by Karen (new)

Karen | 27 comments I like all the old ones that used to scare me as a kid...Dracula, Frankenstein....the really old ones from the 30's and 40's. On a side note, my brother who delivers mail in Salt Lake City, sent me this interesting email this morning.

Hey Karen. I talked to this guy the other day. Nice person. Very cordial. He's about 60 years old and as big as Arnold Schwartsaneger. He was Mike Myers in Halloween 5 and he was Kato the indian in Grizzly Adams. He's been in 150 movies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Shanks

I wish I could add a picture, but can't figure out how to do that here. He is an extremely good looking man.

message 30: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 5 comments Wow, Gina, I completely agree with you about The Shining. It is my favorite scary movie of all time. Also, I love Hocus Pocus and Practical Magic as Halloween favorites.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

hocus pocus and nightmare before christmas

message 32: by Gail (new)

Gail D.C. | 228 comments Karen cool about your brother and the guy who played on Grizzly Adams. That was a fav. show growing up!

message 33: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I'm not much for scary stuff so I like the kid's ones:

It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown!
Garfield Halloween
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

If I'm feeling brave I'll watch Sleepy Hollow.

message 34: by Pam (new)

Pam (pammylee76) The original Halloween is one of my favorite movies. But every year I have to watch Hocus Pocus before Halloween.

Right now all of our stuff is in storage b/c we are moving, and when I realized it was October and my movies were packed I started trying to figure out where the box is that has that movie!

message 35: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments find the box!
find the box!

message 36: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 135 comments Hocus Pocus
Beetlejuice
Lost Boys
Elvira: Mistress fo the Dark -- that is soooo campy
The Craft
Salem's Lot
An American Werewolf in London
The Tingler
Anything else with Vincent Price
Dracula
Any of the Hammer films

message 37: by Alison (new)

Alison Is Hocus Pocus suitable for my seven-year-old girls (twins)? I have been trying to watch "fun" Halloween movies with them. We saw Casper, Ghostbusters, and The Haunted Mansion. What else?

message 38: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 42 comments I think Hocus Pocus is safe. I don't think it's as scary (and not sexual like Ghostbusters) as The Haunted Mansion or Ghostbusters.
How fun! You should totally make that your Halloween movie this year!

message 39: by WitchyFingers (new)

WitchyFingers Definitely Hocus Pocus, and Beetlejuice and The Nightmare Before Christmas should be safe and fun!

message 40: by Alison (new)

Alison Thank you all! I forgot to mention we owned and liked Monster House. I did find Hocus Pocus at Blockbuster, so, I'll keep the others in mind.

message 41: by Jade (new)

Jade (goodreadscomshoggoth) | 8 comments Love Midnight Hour! Thought I was one of the few to remember it--I downloaded it--that was the only way I could find it after this many years! Dead and Buried is also somewhat obscure but excellent! Halloween is probably my fave Halloween movie but I love Halloween 3 and think it gets a bad rap--excellent movie for Halloween but you will never get the Silver Shamrock them outta your head!Love Vincent Price and Theatre of Blood is excellent--also check out Madhouse--campy good VP fun!

message 42: by Ivan (new)

Ivan Ghosts: The Devil's Backbone
The Innocents
The Others
The Haunting

Vampires: Let the Right One In
Blade (one & two)
Underworld (series)
30 Days of Night

Devil: Rosemary's Baby
The Devil Rides Out

Zombies: 28 Days Later
Zombieland
Shaun of the Dead

message 43: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments Jack Clayton's THE INNOCENTS, John Carpenter's HALLOWEEN, Roman Polanski's ROSEMARY'S BABY, John Hough's THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Robert Wise's THE HAUNTING, Stanley Kubrick's THE SHINING....to name a few. And Hammer, practically anything by them especially THE DEVIL RIDES OUT.

message 44: by Ivan (new)

Ivan Belinda wrote: "Love Midnight Hour! Thought I was one of the few to remember it--I downloaded it--that was the only way I could find it after this many years! Dead and Buried is also somewhat obscure but excellent..."

I love to watch THEATRE OF BLOOD on Tony Award Sunday in June - it gets me in the mood for the show.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

TOP 10:
Black Sunday
Frankenstein (1931 version)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Night of the Living Dead
Rosemary's Baby
The Devil's Rejects
Eyes Without a Face
Devil Rides Out
Day of the Triffids
Alien

message 46: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments Wilntally wrote: "TOP 10:
Black Sunday
Frankenstein (1931 version)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Night of the Living Dead
Rosemary's Baby
The Devil's Rejects
Eyes Without a Face
Devil Rides Out
Day of the Triffid..."

great list!
the only one i don't know is the devil rides out...what's that?

message 47: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 141 comments What about movies that are really Halloween movies rather than simply horror, occult, slasher...

Sleepy Hollow
Halloweentown(s) ??
Hocus Pocus
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
Roseanne: Halloween Edition
When Good Ghouls Go Bad

There must be more as well as movies about Samhain, the origin of Halloween.

message 48: by Sooz (new)

Sooz Ivan wrote: "Ghosts: The Devil's Backbone
The Innocents
The Others
The Haunting

Vampires: Let the Right One In
Blade (one & two)
Underworld (series)
..."

the Devil's Backbone is a fav of mine. great atmosphere.

message 49: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments Kernos wrote: "What about movies that are really Halloween movies rather than simply horror, occult, slasher..."

on that note, trick or treat, which was released last halloween, was a pretty good 80's-style halloween flick.

message 50: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) I'm getting ready for the Halloween movie fests.

I'm gonna checkout "Mark of the Vampire", one of the few Bela Lugosi Horror films that I haven't seen.

« previous 1