Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising discussion

GoogleBook Search

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 76 comments Hi everyone, I just wanted to throw out some advantages to google book search. As most writers know, the fastest growing area of book sales is online sales:) A great tool to get you on your way is Google Book Search. Presently I am waiting for my second book to be entered into their system. The biggest draw back to listing your book with them is the length of time it takes them to upload the information. The benefits more then make up for this:
1. Hey this is free! They make their money on the clicks and sales to major retailers.
2. Shoots you, your book, and your website closer to the top of searches.
3. You can choose how much of your book is seen for readers to view. Due to copyright laws I have chosen 20%. My copyright will be protected and people can soon flip through some of the pages to see if my book will help them
4. By entering into the program, you actually can make money not only from selling your book, but as google makes a % of the amount sold, you do too. It is just a tiny bit, but hey if your book is selling, it is just icing on the cake.
5. You can create a link that takes buyers right to a checkout.

Some publishers will not allow this, it really depends on what rights you have given with your contract. This is a good service for authors trying to find their way. Stop by the site and see for yourself if this is something that may help you!

Best of Luck!

KB

message 2: by Eric (new)

Eric | 4 comments How has it impacted your sales? I have thought about doing this, but I have been concerned with Google storing my whole book in there system.

Eric
Author of "Skinny Dipping with the Savior"

message 3: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 76 comments I am waiting myself. I just weigh the pros and cons. It takes months lol. I was informed I am not allowed to enter my first, the publisher says no. Stupid Kristin lol, not even going there right now.

The second I own all of the rights to, and I said it was ok:) If it tell you anything, when I know more, I will be happy to pass the information along.

KB

message 4: by G.R. (new)

G.R. (grcollia) My book, Utamaro Revealed, is on google book search. It's too soon to tell what difference it will make to sales, but certainly I have bought countless books after reading sections of them using the book search facility. That's why I wanted to sign up... because I was already a regular user.

message 5: by David (new)

David Korinetz | 77 comments My novel, FireDrakes - Chronicles of the Daemon Knights, has been in Google books for almost a year, but and I don't think it has contributed much to sales.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

My first book, What Happened to Little League Baseball in the Inner City?, has been listed in Google's book search for over a year and hasn't generated many clicks at all. It was free, but the return didn't equal the time and effort.

message 7: by Christine (last edited Oct 21, 2008 08:27PM) (new)

Christine | 5 comments Hi from down under, this is a great topic you have here. I just uploaded all my works to Google book search, even though I got little hits with my first book, but every bit counts.
Something else you may wish to consider. By doing reviews on Amazon and other book outlets, you can get noticed by readers. Mind you, you do have to do quite a few reviews to get up high on the list. As Amazon don’t let you place links to your website, use your author name or website title as your sign in, for example, mine is cjbooks or authorchristinejones. Believe me, people have found me by entering the names in search engines.
Also fill out your profiles and add friends.
Blessings to all CJ

P.S Check out Shadow Forest Authors.
http://www.shadowforestauthors.com