The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Harry Potter 7 Part 2 (spoilers?)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments I watched the movie yesterday and was extra excited to see it. And despite the fact that my wife and I had possibly the world's worst theater experience ever; I loved this movie. I thought that most of the movies were done really well as adaptations to the big screen. But Deathly Hallow Part 1 and 2 seemed to take the cake for me. Watching the groups struggles to find horcruxes and destroy them on the big screen was so tough for me. Even knowing how it all ended from reading the books I found myself really hurting for the characters.

So what did everybody else think about the film? Did you guys enjoy it or did you find yourself wishing they had kept some stuff in while leaving other stuff out?

message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex DeJesus (zeus) | 21 comments I agree, as an adaptation it was great. I'd go so far as to say that part 2 is hands down one of the best Potter films ever! My favorite part was (view spoiler). I thought that it served to help bring an appropriate amount of tension to that portion of the movie!

message 3: by Colin (new)

Colin | 278 comments Someone performed the cruciatus curse on my throat in the Snape scene, and Harry's "chat in the woods".

message 4: by Wayne (new)

Wayne McCoy (geekwayne) | 44 comments Me too, Colin! Glad to know that's what it was and not me getting emotional and all.

message 5: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1713 comments Mod
Colin wrote: "Someone performed the cruciatus curse on my throat in the Snape scene, and Harry's "chat in the woods"."

Seriously.

message 6: by Boots (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments This was by far my favorite out of the series but I still liked the books way better, especially the first few, I felt like the books were much darker than the movies came across. The Deathly Hollows part 1 & 2 had the darkness/grittiness just about right and it would have been nice if the rest of the movies were like that. The first few felt like Christmas movies–or something–and that wasn't the feeling I got from the books.

To be honest I'm not too sure why I nitpick these movies so much. I'm mostly easy when it comes to movies, I even like B movie trash when it comes right down to it. But for whatever reason I find myself saying things like "That's wrong" or "That's not right" or any number of things that don't really matter and as I sit here typing this on a Friday night I realized I am probably one of the geekiest people I know.

Oh and I got a bit choked up as well, I think I may have had popcorn stuck in my throat or something, which is strange because I didn't have any popcorn.

message 7: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (frontline) | 129 comments I thought that I had worked out the emotions during the book, but it's been 4 years (!) and I had forgotten a few things. I choked up a bit when they showed Remus and Tonks. :(

message 8: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Micah wrote: "And despite the fact that my wife and I had possibly the world's worst theater experience ever."

Anymore, I feel like I top mine every time I go to see a movie.

message 9: by Jon (new)

Jon Sprunk | 40 comments I agree it was a fantastic adaptation. I'm looking forward to reading the books to my son when he gets older.

message 10: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments aldenoneil wrote: "Anymore, I feel like I top mine every time I go to see a movie."

We had a tiny baby come in with his mother who then acted outraged that the baby would start crying in the middle of the movie. My wife and I could not believe it. I have 2 toddlers myself so I know how hard it can be to get out. But COME ON!!! Harry Potter is a loud and scary movie.

Then a person was talking on the phone for 45 minutes until I asked him to "please shut the hell up." I guess that angered him because he was waiting outside the theater looking around like he wanted to fight me. Really dude? Fight over a Harry Potter movie?

All in all it was an awful night. GREAT MOVIE THOUGH!!

message 11: by Colin (new)

Colin | 278 comments ^ you should have burned him with a scathing, "Only Muggles talk on their phones during a movie" and then kick him in the groin shouting "Stupefy!" then quickly leave before the snatchers get there.

Nothing bad could come out of that situation.

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments I finally went to see it with my sister last weekend. It was worth the wait to see it in a mostly empty theater, no one but my sister saw me tearing up at the Snape scenes.

@Micha I feel your pain. I got stuck sitting next to a guy cracking his knuckles all through HP7 pt1

message 13: by Colin (new)

Colin | 278 comments @Tom (Re: podcast)

Veronica (and Wayne) was correct. Though, trying to choke back the tears was pretty painful. I was largely successful, but there was some misty eyes going on.

message 14: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Micah wrote: "Then a person was talking on the phone for 45 minutes until I asked him to "please shut the hell up."

I've had a similar situation. My wife asked someone to stop talking on their phone during the movie. He looked at us like, "What?! You have the audacity to interrupt my conversation?"