The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon, #2) The Da Vinci Code discussion

middle of the road

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jennifer I find it very interesting how many atrong opinions there were about this book. There was actually an argument ab9ut it being poorly written/a good story... since no one else is arguing the point, I would like to suggest that a book can be poorly written and still be a page turner by many- even resulting in a film. I hated the writing, but continued turning the pages just because I wanted to know how it ended. Did I enjoy it? No. was my curiosity satisfied? Yes.

Riska I Think is a brilliant book. I cant stop read till finish.

Jess I know people my not like me saying it but I could tell the ending by simply reading the first chapter. Dan Brown books are always amazing and I have read every single on of the but I could always predict the ending.

Jennifer I guess it depends why you are reading. Personally, if I am reading to be really entertained, I want something that peeks my interest; I want something that I cannot tell the story myself (the movie Repo Man is a great example of this).

Prerak Well, i dont think ANYONE could predict the ending of Dan Brown except in case of The Da Vinci Code...read Angels and Demons, that ending was far too impossible to predict. If you read Digital Fortress, the ending was again predictable...but again Deception Point and Lost Symbol were again unpredictables....and I think ...the writing of any novel is good or bad depending upon whether you like to read it or not.
People say writing of Stephen King is bad, because he is too corny as a write...but the fact is...thats his style...his CORNY and USUAL way of writing is what that really creeps under our skins and scare us...so...Dan's writing is APT for what he writes, according to me

Heather Rowe-Stevens Absolutely a silly book. Stupid endless cliffhangers at the end of each chapter. For the life of me I can't understand why this book became a best seller. At least the movie lived up to the book as it was also silly.

Michael Parker I think Dan Brown is a good, thriller writer. Even though a lot of the top thriller novels require a suspension of belief, we still like them. After all, it's only an escape from the realities of life.

Asra Ghouse Jennifer wrote: "I find it very interesting how many atrong opinions there were about this book. There was actually an argument ab9ut it being poorly written/a good story... since no one else is arguing the point, ..."

I guess the story wasn't so great. If the writing style is to be commented on, it was apt for a thriller.

Jennifer, did you like Angels and Demons?

Jennifer I have not read Angels and Demons. Da Vinci Code left me less than pleased so I have not read anything else by Brown. Altough, after Prerak's honest response, I will probbaly put a few of his books back on my list.

Jennifer Prerak: Thanks for your honest response. I added the books to my to read list.

Also... I agree with your comment about King. I feel the conversational nature and detailed sensory images make his books a quick read. (Gerald's Game is a great example of this, Misery too.)

Prerak @Jennifer, thanx for that...if u wish to read Dan Brown's book....i would recommend, you read ANGELS AND DEMONS first...cuz according to me, its the best of his...Dan Brown at his best!

message 12: by Asra (new) - rated it 4 stars

Asra Ghouse Jennifer wrote: "I have not read Angels and Demons. Da Vinci Code left me less than pleased so I have not read anything else by Brown. Altough, after Prerak's honest response, I will probbaly put a few of his books..."

You must read it then! :)
I usually don't recommend books unless asked, but I wouldn't want you to miss on this wonderful book. If you're interested in to science and religion and their battle over the ages; you will most assuredly love this book :)

message 13: by Zzee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zzee I read Angels and Demons then Da Vinci both are "formula"it dosnt matter which you read 1st .
Its was chopped up at the publishing house then a stylist decides in which order.
Its flash, angels are always a good sell, works with good or evil.
do these guys major in abnormal- phys or theology, nephlimism
jesuit ritual, marketing,or did they actually take writing classes.

Jennifer @ Buzz: "do these guys major in abnormal- phys or theology, nephlimism
jesuit ritual, marketing,or did they actually take writing classes." So...for clarification, you are tying to argue that the story just centers around these issues without actually being well written? and in your opinion, if these topics were of interest, do the books at least seem appealing if those are the purposes for reading?

Also... I am not familiar with yur reference: What does "it's flash" mean?

Cindy I read Angels and Demons first (loved it). did not really like the davinci code as much. As i continued to read his book i realized they were all the same the guy meets a younger woman with a grandfather etc. same exact plot line, got kind of boring. Not a big fan.

Mandy I read Da Vinci Code and what it did for me, was take another, closer look at all the beautiful art he references. I think I spent as much time looking up paintings & buildings on the internet,as i did reading the book. I enjoyed reading the book.

message 17: by Jennifer (last edited Jul 29, 2011 03:44PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jennifer @ Mandy... I have to admit, I did enjoy the role of art in the story (I like historical fiction and the art work really helped with that aspect); however, I also feel like he did to the art what so many literary critics do to a peice of work: over analyze. It is so easy to after the fact disect work to shreds when an author/painter cannot confirm or deny our speculations (regardless of how many of our htoughts may or may not be accurate). Although I feel that his ability to make you reflect woudl definitely suggest he is a good writer for you-- that type of reflection is always nice to get from a text.

message 18: by Roger (last edited Nov 26, 2011 06:13PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Roger Weston The story had a great setting with lots of visual details. Silas the monk was entertaining and good for laughs. The story is strong on cliff hangers.

message 19: by Sara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sara Jennifer wrote: "I find it very interesting how many atrong opinions there were about this book. There was actually an argument ab9ut it being poorly written/a good story... since no one else is arguing the point, ..."

Agreed. I also compulsively read this book in spite of the fact that I knew the entire way through it was trash. Maybe it's the same compulsion that makes most people glance at the outlandish tabloids in the supermarket line?

message 20: by Sara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sara Prerak wrote: "Well, i dont think ANYONE could predict the ending of Dan Brown except in case of The Da Vinci Code...read Angels and Demons, that ending was far too impossible to predict. If you read Digital Fort..."

Actually, King has a very good writing style and develops fantastic and unique characters. However, King's writing suffers from the same problem that plagues Kiernan--his endings, as a rule, tend to be HORRIBLE. He's a good writer, especially within the standard of his genre (read King, then read Koontz. King blows him out of the water technically and in his character and story development!). But his endings are crap, crap, crap. Unfortunately, I think his best writing came when he was a druggie alcoholic, but those vices seem to help people tap into their muse much more effectively sometimes.

Dan Brown, on the other hand, has a terrible writing style. He uses too many extraneous adjectives and writes amazingly flat characters. He employs stereotypes all over the place and his analogies are trite to the point of being obtusely didactic.

But both men meet on one plane, and that is that both men are very good at catching the attention of the reader and keeping the reader riveted. They get their readers talking. And though Brown isn't a "good writer," he has a talent for stirring controversy and encouraging conversation with his work, which has caused his books to be talked about and read all over the place. Kudos to him for finding success that way, but don't expect to see him ever mentioned in the same reverent breath as Earnest Hemmingway or Toni Morrison.