Suicide, a no go discussion

Suicide > What engenders melancholy?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Why do we feel suicidal?

message 2: by Gloria (new)

Gloria  Jackson (PlanetQueen72) | 26 comments Lack of self-esteem due to being bullied or abused or something like that and we feel like we're not worth anything so no-one would miss us etc.

♫Morgan♫ *composer but never composed* (morgan1123) you feel trapped in your own mind and you feel the only way out is to kill yourself.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

What on earth does this discussion mean?

♫Morgan♫ *composer but never composed* (morgan1123) we're listing reasons why a person might feel suicidal.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the comments made to the question I posted.

Morgan I alot of poeple can relate to being trapped, and that they feel there is no solution the their problem.

To Nicole, I think everyboby needs insight into their malaise so that they are then able to devise a solution.

To Wave, I believe some do hate their lives, it can be due to the decisions they have made - that they lament.

To Gloria, I agree that bullying plays a huge part in producing low self-esteem, that may then lead to anger, hate and self loathing.

I am trying to get understanding as to why I feel the way I do.

I appreciate & respect your comments.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

To Suicide, a no go discussion,

The genisis of melancholy:

Most human interaction is for better or for worse. Each moment with another person can be an opportunity for discovery and growth or for the erosion of identity and the destruction of one's personhood.

Our personality development and mental and physical health are linked to the caliber of our communication.

One does not become fully human without interaction with other human beings.

Robert Bolton[book:People Skills: How to Assert Yourself, Listen to Others, and Resolve Conflicts|65327.

I would like some suggestions as what other good books are out there, that maybe you have read; that I might find of inspiration in my quest for a sense of self.

I look forward to reading your comments.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello Wave, Morgan, Gloria and Dez - good evening. How is everybody?

I would like to share a quote from Robert Bolton

'The real meaning of suffering discloses itself only to him who has learned the art of compassion. Gradually, he will fall silent, and in the end will sit there wordless, for a long time sunk deep in himself. And the strange thing is that this silence is not felt by the other person as indifference, or as a desolate emptiness which disturbs rather than calms.

It is as if this silence had more meaning than countless words could ever have. It is as if he were being drawn into a field of force from which fresh strenghtflows into him.

He feels suffused with a strange confidence, and it may be that in these hours, the resolve will be born to set out on the path that turns a wretched existence into a life of happiness.

I am reading a good book at the moment, (People Skills, by Robert Bolton) and felt like sharing some of the good bits.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

♫Morgan♫ *composer but never composed* wrote: "O.O mind. blown."

Hi, have you ever felt depressed?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Me too. Did it take you a long time to establish yourself on this site?

When your new it is quite daunting. This is the first social site I have been on; so I don't know all the symbols (O_O).

Were people friendly to you when you first joined?

I dedcided to join this site because I enjoy reading (mainly psychology & self-help), and because I have suffered from depression all my life.

I would like to talk & get to know like minded people who accept & understand the dynamics of misunderstanding and suffering.

message 13: by Gloria (new)

Gloria  Jackson (PlanetQueen72) | 26 comments Well, you are more than welcome here then! :)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you for you response Gloria. I am here because I am lost.

message 15: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) Kieran, have you sort treatment? Have you been to your local GP?

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I have had three suicide attempts in the past. I am currently under a care co-ordinator. Not on medication at the moment - stopped taking Amitriptyline about 12 months ago.

Have been diagnosed with a personality disorder, but have been referred to the Maudsley Hospital for tests for Autism.

Lost my job in April this year due to problems with me getting on with other people. That's why I spend so much time studying communication, because I have great difficulty with it.

message 17: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) I'm sorry to hear that Kieran. I hope that you are able to manage your mental health through the hospital referral. I must say your proactive nature of educating yourself with regard to communication skills is very commendable. I hope you succeed in finding solutions to making life happier for you, I'm sure you will:)

♫Morgan♫ *composer but never composed* (morgan1123) Kieran wrote: "Me too. Did it take you a long time to establish yourself on this site?

When your new it is quite daunting. This is the first social site I have been on; so I don't know all the symbols (O_O).

We..."

aw sorry, the O_O symbol is a face. like, a "poker face" face. anyway, yeah mostly everyone has been nice since i joined this group. sure, ive argued, but its all good now :)

♫Morgan♫ *composer but never composed* (morgan1123) and this is the first site of its kind i have been on too. since i dont have a facebook or myspace or anything.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you for your comments. It is good to met you Morgan & Carmel. I hope I have many conversations with the group; I am sure the more I do, the easy it will become.

Maybe I can learn from the group better ways to manage my depression. I think talking to other people with similar problems is a vital distraction for people with depression: it gives you a sense that you are not alone, and that inturn induces comfort.

Through talking we learn to solve our own problems through enlightenment. It shows that there is people out there who care, and that is important; because when you are in the grips of depression your views & perceptions are nebulous, capricious, ambivalent & precarious.

I interested to know what books you two (Morgan, Carmel)are reading at the moment?

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry, I forgot to mention Gloria; thanks for your comment too. I would also be interested to find out if are reading a good book at the moment that you might recommend.

message 22: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) At the moment Kieran I'm reading Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult by Jodi Picoult, so far it's good. All of my friends who have read it have loved it.

♫Morgan♫ *composer but never composed* (morgan1123) I've been re-re-reading the Harry Potter series and right now I'm halfway through the Deathly Hallows. But then I have to read Hatchet for required reading, then The Giver, and some other book. I've already read The Giver before though.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello Group,

Thought I would add a qoute and a joke:

Unrest of spirit is a mark of life; one problem after another presents itself and in the solving of them we can find our greatest pleasure.
(Kal Menninger)

A woman and a baby were in the doctor's examining room, waiting for the doctor to come in for the baby's first exam. The doctor arrived, examined the baby, checked his weight, and being a little concerned, asked if the baby was breast-fed or bottle-fed.

"Breast-fed" she replied.

"Well, strip down to your waist," the doctor ordered.

She did. He pinched her nipples, then pressed, kneaded, and rubbed both breasts for a while in a detailed examination. Motioning to her to get dressed, he said, "No wonder this baby is underweight. You don't have any milk."

wait for it..................

"I know," she said, "I'm his Grandma, but I'm glad I came."

message 25: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) Oh Kieran that was naughty but funny!!