Amazon Kindle discussion

Reviewer's Haven > Reviewer for Fantasy, SciFi, and Horror

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Denna (last edited Sep 11, 2011 09:15PM) (new)

Denna (dholm) | 27 comments I enjoy reading paranormal romance, fantasy, horror and light science fiction. I don't tend to read mysteries, historical or western. If a novel holds my interest then I can read it within a day or two. If not, then I can't guarantee I'll get it finished. I try to be fair in reviews. This means I might mention parts I didn't care for along with what I enjoyed. Grammar and punctuation are important details in my eyes, but a typo or two won't bother me. I post reviews on my blog, Goodreads, Amazon and Smashwords.
Denna Holm

message 2: by Patti (new)

Patti Roberts | 27 comments Hi Denna, you may be interested in this blog. Patti

http://paradox-theangelsarehere.blogs...

message 3: by Sandra "Jeanz" (new)

Sandra "Jeanz" Hi Denna you should give Patti's book a go "Paradox of Angels" its really good, well written and has that "grabs you and holds you" you dont want to put it down!

message 4: by Denna (new)

Denna (dholm) | 27 comments Thanks, I'll check it out.

message 5: by Jennifer (last edited Jul 19, 2011 09:33PM) (new)

Jennifer Alli (jennyt82) | 3 comments Hiya Denna,
I'm a paranormal romance author looking for someone to review the second book in my elemental Passions series, Rocked by Passion. Have a look at the blurb and let me know if you're interested. =)
Thanks.

A tormented soul…
Cursed from birth Kieron has only ever known loathing and fear, the spirit of earth that he carries within him cursing him to a lifetime of solitude. He stumbles upon Estraya, his connection to her strong and instantaneous but he fights against it knowing that it's impossible for a monster like him to touch the stars.

A kindred spirit…
Sold into slavery by her family and hunted by a man crazed with the need to possess her, Estraya trusts no one. When she meets Kieron she sees him as nothing more than a means to achieving freedom but the wall around her guarded heart falls to his gruff words, her heart seeing him for the man he truly is.

A love strong enough to move worlds.
Determined to keep his curses from the only woman to see him as a man not a beast, Kieron vows to keep her safe within his arms. But as the past catches up to the present Kieron will have to use everything at his disposal, including the curses that have caused him nothing but misery, to save the woman who has given him his first taste of the fruits of passion.

message 6: by Denna (new)

Denna (dholm) | 27 comments Yes, I'd be very interested, Jennifer. Sounds like my kind of story. Is it available to download on my Kindle? Email dholm_60@yahoo.com for amazon or I could pick it up at smashwords if available there. Look forward to it.
Denna

message 7: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Barnett (ajbarnett) | 18 comments Hi, Denna. Does your reading interest stretch to Romantic suspense? I have Without Reproach that I would love to have reviewed. It's available on Amazon and all the Smashword distributed sites.

I have a free coupon for Smashwords if you are interested.

Description: WITHOUT REPROACH is a full length romantic suspense.

Jenny is not related to Juan Garcia, has never heard of him, never met him, and certainly never been to his villa before... So why does she vaguely recognize certain rooms and smells...
It freaks her out that she inherits the enormous villa and riding school in his Last Will and Testament... Especially when there is a painting of her in the entrance ... and she is totally NAKED...

Juan's young brother, Eduardo, believes she is a gold-digger and is out to prove it. Jenny finds herself struggling with him on several levels; his certainty that she had an affair with Juan, his own escalating attraction towards her, his belief that she may be involved with threatening letters against him, and his absolute and unjustified dislike of her new friend... but then she starts to get threatening letters too, and it all gets out of hand.

WITHOUT REPROACH – a story of intrigue, deceit, and dark secrets.

message 8: by Ali (new)

Ali (angeluz) | 1 comments Hi Denna, not sure if Epic Fantasy is in your taste for the overall Fantasy genre, here's GR's link to my novel and if you're interested I would love to send you a copy to review.

Acadia, Book I: The Lost King and the Goddess of Time

message 9: by P.J. (new)

P.J. Johns (PJJohns) | 26 comments Hi Denna,

Does your interest stretch to steampunk fantasy? I'm looking to get reviews for my novel, Liberator's Ruin.

It's available on Kindle and Smashwords, though I'll be happy to send you a Kindle-compatible .prc file.

Many thanks

Phillip

Description:
In a world at war, three people will decide the fate of an entire country.

Nathaniel An’Rieyr is the captain of the airship Storm Brother and profiteer extraordinaire. He dreams of making his fortune in the lucrative southern trade routes. But to achieve that, he will need to get involved in a war he has made a career of avoiding.

As the last surviving member of the Illysian Royal Family, the war is all Anna has left. The Rhivellian Empire took her family, her throne and her country. Unable to compete against the might of the Rhivellian war machine, Anna enacts a plan to retrieve a mighty artefact from a long-forgotten time. With it, she will finally have the power to force the Empire from her land; a goal for which she will sacrifice anyone, even her closest ally.

Thomas Ras’Kar, High Inquisitor of the Rhivellian Empire, has been sent to the capital of Illys in disgrace, where he will be forced to contend with the incompetent Thane Charles. Three years of occupation has seen the people of Illum cowed and the Thane’s interest turned to his own pleasures. A fate worse than death for a man of honour and action such as Thomas. But the Princess is returning to Illum, and she may be the key to Thomas’ redemption.

message 10: by Denna (new)

Denna (dholm) | 27 comments A.J. wrote: "Hi, Denna. Does your reading interest stretch to Romantic suspense? I have Without Reproach that I would love to have reviewed. It's available on Amazon and all the Smashword distributed sites.

I..."

Yes, I enjoy most romances. I'll pull it up and put it on my list. Thanks.
Dee

message 11: by Denna (new)

Denna (dholm) | 27 comments Ali wrote: "Hi Denna, not sure if Epic Fantasy is in your taste for the overall Fantasy genre, here's GR's link to my novel and if you're interested I would love to send you a copy to review.

[book:Acadia, Bo..."

Thanks, I'll put it on my list. I read fairly fast so shouldn't take me long.
Dee

message 12: by Denna (new)

Denna (dholm) | 27 comments Phillip wrote: "Hi Denna,

Does your interest stretch to steampunk fantasy? I'm looking to get reviews for my novel, Liberator's Ruin.

It's available on Kindle and Smashwords, though I'll be happy..."

Yes, I'll take a look and put it on my list. Thanks
Dee

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Alli (jennyt82) | 3 comments Denna wrote: "Yes, I'd be very interested, Jennifer. Sounds like my kind of story. Is it available to download on my Kindle? Email dholm_60@yahoo.com for amazon or I could pick it up at smashwords if available..."

Amazing! It's available on both amazon kindle and smashwords. If you have any questions just drop me a line =) My email address is jennyt82@ymail.com

message 14: by Paul (new)

Paul Donovan | 26 comments Okay, I hope I'm not too late, but my book is here: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...

And the coupon code is:XR79G

It's a really quick read! (but fun) Hope you have time to review it!

message 15: by Denna (new)

Denna (dholm) | 27 comments Thanks,Paul. Appreciate it. I'll place a review as soon as I read.
Denna

message 16: by Colin (new)

Colin Taber Hi Denna,

I have a coming of age tale told as a dark fantasy called The Fall of Ossard. The book is a considered read of layers, not a swashbuckling action story that one can skim over. Let me know if you're interested and I can gift it to you through Amazon.

Thanks for posting your thread. :)

message 17: by Denna (new)

Denna (dholm) | 27 comments Colin wrote: "Hi Denna,

I have a coming of age tale told as a dark fantasy called The Fall of Ossard. The book is a considered read of layers, not a swashbuckling action story that one can skim o..."

Hi Colin. I have several novels in line ahead, but I would love to read it. email dholm_60atyahoodotcome

message 18: by Colin (new)

Colin Taber Done. I hope you enjoy it.

message 19: by Denna (new)

Denna (dholm) | 27 comments Colin wrote: "Done. I hope you enjoy it."

I have it downloaded on my Kindle and you're on the list. I hope not to take too long.
Dee

message 20: by Colin (new)

Colin Taber No worries, Dee. Take your time. :)

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael Poeltl (mikepoeltl) I'd nbe happy to send you my books The Judas Syndrome AND Rebirth for reviews. I can send you a smashwords coupon. Let me know via goodreads message.

FOr more info on the books visit http://www.the-judas-syndrome.com

message 22: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Schuh | 38 comments Denna
WolfSinger Publications is releasing my light SciFi SCHRÖDINGER'S CAT in a couple of weeks. It's a quick read. I need some blurbs addressing my writing and story-telling skills within the week for the back cover, inside pages, and/or my promotions. If you are interested and able, I can send you the publisher's pdf Eileen Schuh

message 23: by Heather (new)

Heather (earthwindwalker) | 27 comments Ali,
Would love to add your book to my review pile.
Email me at earthsbooknook@gmail.com

Ali wrote: "Hi Denna, not sure if Epic Fantasy is in your taste for the overall Fantasy genre, here's GR's link to my novel and if you're interested I would love to send you a copy to review.

[book:Acadia, Bo..."

message 24: by Denna (new)

Denna (dholm) | 27 comments Michael wrote: "I'd nbe happy to send you my books The Judas Syndrome AND Rebirth for reviews. I can send you a smashwords coupon. Let me know via goodreads message.

FOr more info ..."

Hi Michael. Sorry I haven't checked messages for a while. I have about three novels ahead on my list, but I'd be happy to add yours if you are still interested. If you send the coupon I'll get them downloaded and ready. I read fairly fast so shouldn't take me long.
Dee

message 25: by Denna (new)

Denna (dholm) | 27 comments Eileen wrote: "Denna
WolfSinger Publications is releasing my light SciFi SCHRÖDINGER'S CAT in a couple of weeks. It's a quick read. I need some blurbs addressing my writing and story-telling skills within the wee..."

Hi Eileen, I'm sorry I didn't get the message in time, but if you still want me to read for the review, I'd be happy to put you on my list.
Dee

message 26: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Schuh | 38 comments Denna wrote: "Eileen wrote: "Denna
WolfSinger Publications is releasing my light SciFi SCHRÖDINGER'S CAT in a couple of weeks. It's a quick read. I need some blurbs addressing my writing and story-telling skills..."

I'm always seeking reviews, Denna. Please list me. I have a pdf ARC of SCHRÖDINGER'S CAT available when you are ready. Thanks for your interest. You da best!

message 27: by Denna (new)

Denna (dholm) | 27 comments Will do. You are on my list.

message 28: by Innmsouthfp (new)

Innmsouthfp | 2 comments Do you look at anthologies? I have one which came out already and another coming out next month

Historical Lovecraft (horror anthology, released April 2011): http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...

Candle in the Attic Window (Gothic anthology, released September): http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

message 29: by Denna (last edited Nov 08, 2011 06:01PM) (new)

Denna (dholm) | 27 comments Hi Innmsouthfp,

I'd be interested in the horror anthology. If you like I'd be happy to add it to my list. I'm afraid I don't know enough about poetry to be able to offer a decent review on the gothic anthology. Let me know if you'd like me to read and review Historical Lovecraft.
Denna

My list

The Judas Syndrome/ Rebirth
Schrodinger's Cat
Ferris' Bluff
Historical Lovecraft (anthology)
Diviners
Raven
Blood Warrior
Morgan's Choice
Against Nature
Ossard's Hope
The Nightmare Within
Darkness Falls
The Foxfire Chronicles
Straight to Hell
Embattled
Sadist: The Rise

message 30: by Innmsouthfp (new)

Innmsouthfp | 2 comments Hi,

Yeah, that would be great. How do I get a copy to you?

message 31: by Denna (new)

Denna (dholm) | 27 comments Hi Nuayma,
I like zombie stories. I do have quite a list going so it would be a while before I could read it. If you want to send me a code for Smashwords I'll get it downloaded and ready. I'll go ahead and add you to my list above.
Denna

message 32: by H.D. (new)

H.D. (hdgordon) | 5 comments Hi Deena! I was wondering if you would like to review my YA Urban Fantasy Novel, Blood Warrior Here is a synop.
When murderous vampires attack her home, 17-year-old Alexa is forced to leave her mother for dead in order to save her sister. She soon learns that she is the last known member of an elite race of supernatural Warriors, and is thrust into a world full of vampires and werewolves who all seem to regard her as some sort of savior. Meanwhile, Alexa battles a monster within herself that seeks to gain control; a monster who seeks blood.
The hidden city she finds herself in appears perfect, but Alexa's instincts tell her that all is not right within its walls. When she is asked to attend a school of fighters, whose exams consist of gladiator-style competitions, she must decide who she can trust among the smiling faces. And, when she meets Kayden, a vampire she feels undeniably drawn to, she must decide if she can trust herself.
Thanks so much for consideration. Blood Warrior is available in the link above for $.99, but if you prefer it, I can send you a free file.

message 33: by Denna (new)

Denna (dholm) | 27 comments Hi Heather,
It sounds like an interesting novel. I have a list going and it would probably be a while before I could get to it, but I'm happy to add Blood Warrior. I love vampire/werewolf stories, so this is right up my alley. If you want to send a code for Smashwords, I'll get it downloaded into my Kindle.
Denna

message 34: by Colin (new)

Colin Taber Hi Denna, I saw the review for The Fall of Ossard you posted. I'm glad you liked the book!

message 35: by Denna (new)

Denna (dholm) | 27 comments Colin wrote: "Hi Denna, I saw the review for The Fall of Ossard you posted. I'm glad you liked the book!"

Yes,very much so. I look forward to the second one.

message 36: by Denna (new)

Denna (dholm) | 27 comments Denna wrote: "Eileen wrote: "Denna
WolfSinger Publications is releasing my light SciFi SCHRÖDINGER'S CAT in a couple of weeks. It's a quick read. I need some blurbs addressing my writing and story-telling skills..."

Hey Eileen, I'm about ready for your novel if you want to send me a copy for my Kindle. I'm looking forward to reading it.

message 37: by John (new)

John Nelson | 11 comments Check out Against Nature by John Nelson...then go see the film Contagion...have a full dystopian pandemic experience.

Here's the book's blurb:
The U.S. is ground-zero for a mysterious global pandemic. The disease is highly infectious and kills it’s victims within two weeks of exposure. It’s neither bacteria nor a virus and all traditional treatment regimens have failed.

Serena Salus, a radical scientist, discovers the organism is an extraterrestrial dust mite brought to earth by a shuttle astronaut. The government contends it’s a genetically-engineered organism created on earth by enemies of freedom.

Dr. Salus uncovers a vile plan for distributing her experimental vaccine and finds herself in a deadly confrontation with powerful forces that’ll stop at nothing to control the distribution of her vaccine.

email me if you'd like to read and review it.
againstnature@hotmail.com

John

message 38: by Colin (new)

Colin Taber Denna wrote: "Colin wrote: "Hi Denna, I saw the review for The Fall of Ossard you posted. I'm glad you liked the book!"

Yes,very much so. I look forward to the second one."

I can gift Ossard's Hope if you'd like to add it to your review list. Just let me know, here or by message. :)

message 39: by Glen (new)

Glen Krisch | 7 comments Hi Denna,
I'd like to send you a copy of my novel The Nightmare Within.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Nightmare-W...
Here's the Amazon description:
Maury has the power to pull dreams into the waking world, giving the dreams corporeal form. These dream-people range from seemingly human figures, to monstrous beasts compelled by the most primal urges. Once exposed to the real world, the dreams evolve, adapting to their surroundings.

Maury is gathering dreams for display at Lucidity, the soon-to-open Museum of Dreams. From a boy named Kevin, he removes Mr. Freakshow, a nightmare feeding on the trauma of Kevin having recently witnessed his father's murder.

As Maury falls in love with a dream-woman named Joy, he realizes how wrong it is to enclose the dreams. During the Lucidity's Grand Opening, Mr. Freakshow escapes. To create a diversion, Mr. Freakshow frees the other dreams. The Nightmares, The Erotic Dreams, The Serenity Dreams--all of the dreams--invade the city.

Mr. Freakshow knows the rules that govern the dreams:
1. A dream-person achieves immortality by killing its dreamer.
2. If a dreamer dies for any other reason, the embodied dream disappears forever.

At first Maury seeks out Mr. Freakshow in order to stop him, only to realize there is only one way to accomplish this; he must find Kevin first, killing him before the nightmare has its way.

Kevin will do whatever it takes to be free of his nightmare, once and for all.
Maury will do whatever it takes to protect the love of his life.
Mr. Freakshow will do whatever it takes to realize his immortality.

Will Kevin survive his nightmare?

message 40: by Everly (new)

Everly Anders | 71 comments Hi Denna,
This is so great of you! I hope you know how much this means to authors like us. :)
I have two short stories that I would love reviewed if you think either one would be interesting.

The Colors of Qua by Elle Lapraim The Colors of Qua

This is a story about what it truly means to be punished, and how sometimes redemption can only be found if you give it to yourself.

Sofia exists in a world between the living and dead, and she must help the souls of the deceased transition to whatever comes next. Although Sofia takes pride in her work, she still believes she is being punished for the secret she keeps inside. When she meets a man who can actually see her, everything changes. Now she must be willing to give up everything she knows in order to find the one thing she so desperately seeks – redemption

The Seamstresses by Elle Lapraim The Seamstresses

Death is just a career change.

When Yin opens her eyes at the beginning of the story, she realizes two things. She is in an old abandoned seamstress shop – and she is dead. This afterlife is filled with laughing snowflakes and endless city streets. The only person here to guide her through this world is her older sister, who also happens to be dead.

Yin soon discovers that they must use their abilities to sew together the relationships of the living. Although Yin finds this prospect thrilling at first, not everything in these snow-lined streets is as it seems. She will soon discover that good and evil are woven more tightly together than she could have ever imagined.

* If either of these sounds good to you, please let me know!

message 41: by Denna (new)

Denna (dholm) | 27 comments Hi Elle,
I'm happy to take a look at your short stories. I'm actually planning to spend my whole weekend doing nothing but reading and reviewing, so if you want to send me your stories, I'll put them on my list. My e-mail address is dholm_60(at)yahoo(dot)com. I've fallen a bit behind on my list because my non reading life got in the way. Hopefully things will smooth out a bit and I can get back on track. :)

message 42: by Sandra "Jeanz" (new)

Sandra "Jeanz" Denna wrote: "Hi Elle,
I'm happy to take a look at your short stories. I'm actually planning to spend my whole weekend doing nothing but reading and reviewing, so if you want to send me your stories, I'll put t..."

Hi Denna,

I have read Elle's The Seamstresses and its brilliant am sure you will love it too! It was one of the first books I out on my review blog.
I know what you mean about reading sometimes it feels lkie there aren't enough hours in the day!!

message 43: by Denna (new)

Denna (dholm) | 27 comments Oh, good, I'll look forward to reading it. I've been getting some great novels/stories to review here. We have some very talented authors out there. :)

message 44: by Sandra "Jeanz" (new)

Sandra "Jeanz" Denna wrote: "Oh, good, I'll look forward to reading it. I've been getting some great novels/stories to review here. We have some very talented authors out there. :)"

We have, we have some lovely ones who end up becoming friends too!

message 45: by Natasha (new)

Natasha (asanat) | 17 comments Wow! Lots of good books recommendations! But mine is the best:-) I'm joking.:-)

My new book supernatural thriller "The voice of waterfalls" is on sale. Please take a look! http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

All the best,
Natasha

message 46: by Sandra "Jeanz" (new)

Sandra "Jeanz" Natasha wrote: "Wow! Lots of good books recommendations! But mine is the best:-) I'm joking.:-)

My new book supernatural thriller "The voice of waterfalls" is on sale. Please take a look! http://www.goodreads.co..."

yeah got to admit your sounds reeeally interesting Natasha!

message 47: by Natasha (new)

Natasha (asanat) | 17 comments Thanks Sandra!

message 48: by Allan (new)

Allan Leverone (goodreadscomallan_leverone) | 23 comments Hi Denna, it looks like you have plenty to keep you busy, but if you're interested in one more, my Delirium Books horror novella, DARKNESS FALLS, was just released a couple of weeks ago, and I would love another review! Here's a quick synopsis:

In this tale of creeping horror, down-on-his-luck novelist Tyler Beckman returns to his old hometown of Darkness Falls, New Hampshire, hoping to resurrect his career. Tyler fled the town of his youth nearly two decades earlier following the brutal triple murder of his parents and sister, landing in New York and eventually writing six bestselling gothic horror novels, achieving fame and fortune before losing it all in a blizzard of drugs, booze and women.

Now, in a desperate last-ditch effort to regain what he has lost, Tyler rents the home of his family's imprisoned killer, determined to confront demons best left buried. Immediately his writing flourishes, and in a frenzy of activity, Tyler begins pounding out the novel that will put him back on top.

But a malevolent force is at work in Darkness Falls, one which is timeless and evil and unstoppable. And it has Tyler Beckman in its sights.

Fast-paced and eerily seductive, Darkness Falls is a well-told and atmospheric tale of loss and obsession, of madness and revenge.

"Allan Leverone is a terrific writer with a bright future. I hope to see him around for many years to come."
—Mark Edward Hall, author of The Lost Village and Servants of Darkness

"A dark and creepy chiller!" - Ronald Malfi, author of Snow and Floating Staircase

Darkness Falls

Please let me know if you're interested and I can get you a copy...thanks very much!

message 49: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) You have quite a list of suggestions! If you are up to one more, I have an urban fantasy/chick lit novel called Straight to Hell (Lilith Straight #1) by Michelle Scott I'd love to have you review. If you are interested, I can send you a file or give you a Smashwords coupon. Thanks :)

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

I have two novels I recently released, and am looking for some reviews! They are categorized as YA fiction.

The first is a science fiction/horror, and is the first in a series. The title is The Foxfire Chronicles: Shadows of Past Memories. The second book is a Holiday/Fantasy novel called Clara Claus.

If you're interested in reviewing either, please PM me. I'd greatly appreciate it!

« previous 1