Before I Go to Sleep Before I Go to Sleep discussion

Confusion at end about Dr. Nash

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adiff (new)

Adiff Possibly I missed something as I raced to the end of this novel, but I wondered if there was a reason the author left an unsettling mystery about Dr. Nash hanging.

"I looked at him, and realized I could picture him in a different suit, with his hair cut much shorter."

But she has only been meeting with him for a few weeks. Why would she remember him with shorter hair? It takes months for hair to grow out.

Am I reading too much into this? If it's a red herring, I don't appreciate it flopping into the last pages of the resolution!

Caroline I think you're reading too much into it. If a man's hair is cut very short, it will only take a few weeks before it grows enough to look noticeably different. Personally, I don't think the author was trying to imply anything about the doctor. But maybe others will disagree with me.

Kelly P I read is as a statement, more of just an observation about more of the type of suit/styling and and the hair length as maybe a personal preference. I did not read is a memory. My view...

message 4: by Adiff (new)

Adiff I emailed the author, and he replied (maybe predictably!) that it was up to the reader to decide the significance of Christine's observation about Nash at the end. So, I've let it go. It was nice of him to reply -- the same day at that.

Kelly P Adiff wrote: "I emailed the author, and he replied (maybe predictably!) that it was up to the reader to decide the significance of Christine's observation about Nash at the end. So, I've let it go. It was nice o..."

:) How wonderful....!

Grace I didn't read anything into Dr. Nash's hair to be honest. Earlier in the book it said that he would have barely been born when she was attacked, and also that the attacker was called Mike, not Ed, so I think anything dodgy about him is cleared up by the end. The hair thing is just an observation made over a few weeks. It may just have not been thought out very much. Or maybe he got a hairpiece to make his hair longer even quicker than usual. I do remember the mentioning of a future bald patch.

Melissa There was also a point in the book, though, when Nash made a statement about Christine having to visit either the house/psych ward 'before it was too late'. I thought there was going to be more significance to him as her doctor, her kissing him, etc.

I felt that we were kind of left hanging.

Helen There were lots of things that didn't add up but I had given up caring by the end of this predictable written-to-be-a-movie book. I don't see how any relevance to Dr Nash's hair length could be worked into the plot.

message 9: by Naomi (last edited Feb 03, 2012 02:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Naomi I took it to mean that she remembered when she first met him. That is appearance had changed over the weeks she was seeing him

message 10: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn 1976 wrote: "Naomi wrote: "I took it to mean that she remembered when she first met him. That is appearance had changed over the weeks she was seeing him"

That is how I also read it too. It showed how she had..."

That makes three. I was thinking she is on the road to recovery.

message 11: by Janet (new)

Janet Hourahine I was reading the last part of the book on my ereader.
Somehow I lost the end, and don't want to start all over.
Help...I got as far as the husband beating her....any idea as to what went from there please