Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Off Topic Chat > Harry Potter 7.2 (Spoilers!)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) This for those who have seen the final Harry Potter movie and want to discuss freely!

I loved it! I love Snape!

message 2: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments LOVED!! A couple of changes, but it was really was so beautifully done! I am scared to death of snakes! I don't normally cry during movies, but I totally teard up with that scen e with snap and the flashbacks right after his death and while he was dying...

message 3: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Oh me too! Even when I read the books Snape's story just touched me, but seeing him act it out so believably made the whole thing even more amazing.

I can't wait to see it again.

message 4: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments He did such an amazing job with that scene!!

message 5: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) And I loved at the end when Harry told his son that Severus was the bravest man he knew. It was such a moment when Harry was able to recognize that.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments I really cried during the penseive scene. Alan Rickman did an excellent job as Snape during the scene with dead-Lily. It was horrible and beautiful to watch in a strange way.

I also cried when he told Hermione. Even though I knew he didn't stay dead it was just heartbreaking.

message 7: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Yep Yep, I cried when he told Hermione too.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments I kinda thought it was cute they used the same actors for the epilogue. I don't really like the epilogue to begin with but I'm like "look at the wee little parents" awww

I liked the Luna/Neville stuff. Mainly because I don't understand how the whole word is not in love with Luna. She's so adorable.

message 9: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) The only reason I liked the epilogue was because of what Harry said about Snape. After 7 years of Harry hating, I loved seeing that his opinion had completely changed. But yeah, other then that it wasn't quite so necessary. I did chuckle though because Ron and Harry were aged, but Ginny's haircut and pencil skirt did not make a woman, haha.

I love Luna too, she's a great character. I also thought she was the perfect fit for Neville.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments They barely attempted to age Hermione & Ginny. It made me laugh.

I was a Harry/Luna shipper. But alas it was not so. I was just glad to see Luna get some loving.

message 11: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Ron and Hermione was the only love story I really cared about. I've always loved the way Ron and Hermione antagonized each other, but it was because they were crazy about each other. I thought it was funny how Ginny and Harry's Kiss was completely outdone by Ron and Hermione. We were all talking about how Harry and Ginny's just seemed awkward.

I also wasn't a big fan of the tear with Snape. I much preferred the way of drawing the memories out with the wand, Dumbledore style.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments The tear had me flashing back to Fawkes and Phoenix tears. Took me a minute to realize what he was doing.

Harry and Ginny pretty much never talk during the movies leaving their chemistry at zero.

Yeah everyone reacted to the Ron & Hermione kiss, zero reaction to Ginny/Harry.

message 13: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) It just struck me as corney in the moment (the tear). But it didn't at all take away from Snape at all.

message 14: by Jason (new)

Jason (foreverjuly) | 176 comments The movie was incredible, and I don't see how anyone could be disappointed.

Certainly Alan Rickman was masterful, and Snape is a huge part of this final act, but I'm a little surprised people are so much in his corner. Reading the last book, the part that stuck with me was the one conversation where Snape implies that he wanted to save Lily but didn't much care if James or Harry died. In the movie that was only roughly brought up when Dumbledore told Snape to do it for Lily. Why wasn't it enough to do it for Harry himself?

I'm definitely not blaming anyone who got into it, but I thought he was acting much more in self-interest.

message 15: by Michele (last edited Jul 17, 2011 01:59PM) (new)

Michele | 22 comments Wendy F wrote: It just struck me as corney in the moment (the tear). But it didn't at all take away from Snape at all...

The tear wasn't quite right, but if that looked corny, imagine what it would have looked like if his memories were coming out of his ears and mouth like in the book....

And, Snape never really cared about Harry, it was always Lily. He said so himself.

message 16: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I wouldn't say it was in self-interest, I would say it was in lily-interest. I did not like how he treated Harry in the beginning, Harry was just a child. But I can see how he didn't much care for James. Now, I'm not saying that James deserved to die, or that I hate James. Just that I can see why Snape would be more concerned with Lily then James. James was terrible to Snape. As we were getting images of a kinder Snape, we were also getting bits and pieces of a vicious James. They were both 3 dimentional characters, so I was glad that he wasn't completely self-effacing. It just made him more realistic to me.

But also, I like to think that in the end Snape DID see Lily in Harry and he had started to care for him a bit. At their initial meetings all he could see in Harry was James, but in the end it was Lily he saw in Harry's eyes. (I've only read the book once a couple years ago, and didn't do a reread before the movie because I didn't want such a clear idea of what was left out, so I'm sure I'm forgetting things.) But besides all that, he still loved Lily enough that he devoted himself to keeping Harry safe despite Harry's father. He even forced himself to kill Dumbledore even though he 100% did not want to do it.

It was tragic and romantic, and I'm a girl so that's a good recipe, hahaha.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Ottilie wrote: "LOVED!! A couple of changes, but it was really was so beautifully done! I am scared to death of snakes! I don't normally cry during movies, but I totally teard up with that scen e with snap and t..."

I totally teared up /cried in those scenes too.. <3 Snape

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments Wendy I didn't re-read the books either. I hate comparing the two too closely. Books are different from movies.

I think he saved Harry partially for Lily, because he could not save her. It was the only thing he had left to give her. He didn't like the boy, though I do think he had to grow to care for him eventually.

message 19: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylawrites89) | 350 comments I loved it. I thought it was well worth the wait. I teared up when Ron cried over his brother and seeing Tonks and Lupin. :( The Snape scene was awesome. A friend of mine misunderstood the Snape part. She thought they had changed it to SNAPE being Harry's father. I was like... wtf?!

message 20: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments I agreed with who said Ginny's hair cut and skirt did not really make her look grown up. She has such a baby face. I really wasn't expecting them to use the same actors for that scene.

message 21: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (scribingshadows) Kayla wrote: "I loved it. I thought it was well worth the wait. I teared up when Ron cried over his brother and seeing Tonks and Lupin. :( The Snape scene was awesome. A friend of mine misunderstood the Snape pa..."

A friend of mine said she thought Snape was Harry's father too I immediately said NO. -shakes head-

I'm so sad that there won't be anymore. I need to reread the books now.

message 22: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Weird, a friend of mine thought Snape was Harry's father too. I thought she was crazy for interpreting it that way, but I guess it's not as crazy as I thought!

message 23: by Kurukka (new)

Kurukka LOL, Harry's father. Well, I guess for people who haven't read the book, it's kind of ambiguous. The way he looked at Harry when he told him to take the tears and then "You have your mother's eyes". Also how they were very close when they were children... I guess it's legitimate to wonder.

I also thought that Snape somehow had affection for Harry (if it really can be called that), when he said "You're raised him like a pig" etc. But I think it was the shadow of Lily that made him feel that way. Seeing him everyday with her eyes... Harry was like a part of her that was still alive but the fact that he looked so much like James too must have been very difficult.

message 24: by Wendy F (last edited Jul 19, 2011 08:14AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I definitely think whatever affection he felt for Harry was because of Lily. I just think that that connection grew over the course of the series.

It's similar to me in the way that Sirius's affection for Harry stemmed from his love of James.

message 25: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 33 comments So thrilled to see a thread for Harry Poter 7 part 2. I saw the movie and I loved it. I started to tear up when the opening credits started, just from realizing the end was starting.

Reading so many of the comments above and I see how my own interpretations are represented. I have loved Snape since the beginning. He was the one I hated and yet loved because I knew there was so much more to him. Snape's death scene was perfect and when Harry watched all those memories I just felt that Harry had grown in that instant. He knew what he had to do to save everyone else and he did it so unselfishly.

Luna and Neville were fantastic as always. I was thrilled to see them together. I have grown to love Luna. She is so unique and quirky you just have to love her.

I am planning to start reading the books again from 1-7 now that the movies are all completed. I hope to finish them all by the end of this year. I haven't re-read the 7th book since the books release. I had vowed not to read it until after I had seen the movie. This was the one movie I didn't want to tarnish with what was in the book and what was left out of the movie.

message 26: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylawrites89) | 350 comments My fiance and I began watching the Harry Potter series. He's never seen any of them and I figure now that the very last one is out, I'll make him watch them. We're starting number 4 today once he wakes up. hehe

I have to wonder.... what's going to happen to all the actors? They all got so close during filming and have grown up together, I bet they're going to miss it all. (Saw that Tom Felton is in Rise of the Planet of the Apes.... Once again, he plays an asshole. ><)

message 27: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (scribingshadows) Well Emma is going to be seen in Perks of being a Wallflower and I think she's the "face" of Lancome so she's going to be starring in campaigns by them. Daniel is in a musical and I have no idea what Rupert is doing. I hope he does whatever he loves, if its acting then I hope he does well :)

message 28: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Snape's feelings towards Harry definelty grow over time, but the love of Lilly's memory had a hand in it.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments Tom Felton seems like such a nice guy I don't know why he's always cast as a meanie.

message 30: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Maybe because it's fun to play the opposite of his personality?

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments Maybe. I don't know. I follow Tom on twitter & he just always gives me the impression of being so nice. He tweeted a pic of him and Dan when he went to watch Dan's broadway play.

Really they seem to have all grownup quite well.

(Evanna is my favorite to follow in twitter. She's so cute).

message 32: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments That's so cool he is nice in reality, it's always upsetting to find out when they are really stupid or mean.

message 33: by Kurukka (new)

Kurukka I have a friend who was his translator at a French convention, he and Matthew Lewis, and she told me they were very sweet and funny. It bugs me sometimes to find that an actor who plays a nice character turns out to be an asshole in real life lol, but after all, they are actors and we don't know much about them.

message 34: by Heidi (new)

Heidi We went to the movie today (finally). I am kind of sad now because it is the last one. No new ones to look forward to. It was excellent!

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments Heidi (ok you can listen to me) wrote: "We went to the movie today (finally). I am kind of sad now because it is the last one. No new ones to look forward to. It was excellent!"

I was sad that it's all over too. Been such a huge part of my life.

message 36: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I am seriously sad about Cassi. How pathetic am I? I have that feeling like when I spend time with my family and then come back home. I need to get a grip!

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments I felt sad. I wanted to buy them all, watch them all again and go see it before it's out of the theater.

But so far I've only had time to watch #1

I think the feeling is natural for all HP fans.

message 38: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I was thinking the entire time I watched it that I need to go and listen to all my HP books on audio again - especially when they showed some of those flashback scenes at the end. I am totally bummed.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments I think we need a post-HP support group.

message 40: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Agreed.

message 41: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I'm really sad too. Like I feel like it's the end of an era.

Though Rowling has said that she won't do any more in the Potter world until after the last movie. So maybe that means she's planning something...? Maybe...

message 42: by Heidi (new)

Heidi We can only hope. I feel so bad for her because how can she win with anything new? Not much can top HP.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments She seems pretty grounded though. I don't think she wants to top Harry Potter. She seems grateful for her success.

message 44: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Cassi (West Virginia, Mountain Mama -vacation) wrote: "She seems pretty grounded though. I don't think she wants to top Harry Potter. She seems grateful for her success."

Oh I agree. I just know how the public and press can be. I love her no matter what for what she created with HP. She is genius.

message 45: by Diana (new)

Diana | 62 comments I haven't been able to completely watch the previous two (6&7.1), I need to be alone so no one is distracting me. But I went to see it this weekend anyway and I really enjoyed it, usually I'm over thinking movies but that didn't happen as much with this one, just during certain parts people told me about but even then I was just too into it.
As for the epilogue the only reason I liked it was because after all the fighting all the characters had to do it was nice having such a peaceful ending for them.

message 46: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments I went to go see it a second time because my mom needed a buddy and the couple behind us was:
"What is the movie about?" the woman asked.
"So it's about this wizard and his name is Harry Potter..."

who goes to see the 8th movie and not know what it was about?!

message 47: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) And what kind of rock is this person living under that they don't at least know the premise of Harry Potter!

I mean, even if you haven't seen or read them, who doesn't know that Harry Potter is a boy wizard who is battling the evil Voldemort?!

message 48: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Hahaha I don't know but my mom and i were like what is wrong with this perosn to go see the 8th movie with no idea! I was trying so hard not to laugh at the guy's description.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Ottilie wrote: "Hahaha I don't know but my mom and i were like what is wrong with this perosn to go see the 8th movie with no idea! I was trying so hard not to laugh at the guy's description."

yea ok that guy must really have been dumb.

message 50: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Field (jdfield) | 47 comments I hope JKR writes more HP. I can't imagine her writing anything else, and there's so much she could do, like young Dumbledore and grindlewald (don't know if I splet that right) or Harry's parents.

« previous 1