readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > Books about graaduate school

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (offtop) | 4 comments Hello, I am looking for FICTION books about grad school, PhD students etc. Preferably NOT sci-fi or fantasy or something like that.

Thank you:)

message 2: by Tuck (new)

Tuck | 184 comments what about gritty noir blood baths? i read a great novel "pistol poets" about grad school The Pistol Poets

and something a bit less blood filled, but lots of steaminess still, about a theater dept

Foolscap: A Novel

and more dignified yet, one about a music dept in Minneapolis, strike that, st paul, a very good underlooked novel

and national book award winning The Hair of Harold Roux: A Novel

kevin canty on poetry dept and sadness Winslow in Love

an anthro in kalahari, another national book award winner Mating

lorrie moore's 1st novel, but more about an undergrad, still great though, A Gate at the Stairs
The Rose Variations

but i don't know, all these are very good books but maybe not en point as far as grad school fiction. oh well.

also, a great great nonfiction of a grad student in russian lit The Possessed: Adventures with Russian Books and the People Who Read Them

message 3: by Tuck (new)

Tuck | 184 comments whoops, i left out link to the St. Paul novel, a super 1st novel

The Rose Variations

message 4: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (offtop) | 4 comments Thanks a lot! I'll check them out!

message 5: by Tuck (new)

Tuck | 184 comments i forgot about lipsyte's new novel too, it's about college administrator, but really good
The Ask

message 6: by Hirondelle (new)

Hirondelle | 10 comments Not sure if Possession fits - it´s very academic, but one of the main characters is a full fledged professor, and the other might have had his PhD already, I don´t remember. But just in case it is close enough.

message 7: by Drew (new)

Drew | 2 comments Try Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis if you happen to be looking for something funny. I don't think the main character, Dixon, is precisely a grad student, but the atmosphere definitely fits; he's a new lecturer and is having some difficulty retaining his job, due to friction with some of the college higher-ups. Very funny in a distinctively English way, if that makes sense.

message 8: by Christin (new)

Christin | 10 comments Rule of Four is about students trying to figure out a mystery in the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili (old crazy book). Technically they're undergrads but they're seniors and academically rigorous. It's in the vein of DaVinci Code, with someone over-invested in old documents trying to kill them, but it's better written and more compelling.

message 9: by Greg (new)

Greg | 117 comments All the Sad Young Literary Men, one of the character threads I felt was a very accurate feeling for what it's like to be a floundering grad student.

message 10: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (offtop) | 4 comments Thanks for all of your recommendations, guys! I will probably need to quit grad school in order to read all these books anytime soon.

message 11: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1315 comments Mod
come back and tell us if any of these work for you - i would love to hear some results!

message 12: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1315 comments Mod
please?

message 13: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (offtop) | 4 comments @karen... I definitely will!

message 15: by Jen (new)

Jen (missonethousandspringblossoms) | 60 comments Save Your Own

It has been a looooong time since you posted this--sorry! But here's one that was offbeat and definitely about a grad student.

message 16: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Keefner | 17 comments Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
One might have to stop and think about it, but ZAMM is essentially the story of a guy who goes to grad school and loses his mind. The discussions between Phaedrus and the head of the department are wonderful.

message 17: by Elatsoe Stan (new)

Elatsoe Stan | 42 comments I think The Namesake might fit the bill.