ROBUST discussion

Book Talk & Exchange of Views > Children's ebooks - too early to publish?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments I have a children's fantasy book (for ages 8-12), edited and ready to go, on my computer. I've sent it out to umpteen publishers and though it came this close (holds fingers a centimetre apart) to being picked up by one of the Big Six, it's still mine, unpublished, unwanted. I'm thinking of epublishing it, but I'm not sure there's a market for children's ebooks yet. Definitely not in Australia. But has JK Rowling helped to change all that? Will kids soon be looking for books to read? What do you think? Should I publish it, or bide my time with it (or persevere with the publishers)?

message 2: by Claudine (new)

Claudine | 1110 comments Mod
I've downloaded 3 ebooks for my kids. They quite enjoy the novelty of reading off the iPad or Kindle. I have no idea what the market is though. I suppose as ebooks in general are more extensively bought and sold, and with the way this new generation of kids seems to gravitate towards electronica much easier, this market will also grow.

message 3: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments Katie, if you didn't target that age range (I'm thinking of the sophistication level of an 8-year-old versus that of today's 12-year-old, and just don't see them in the same demographic) -- and instead narrowed it to either the upper age or the lower one (in which case it could be marketed as an e-book for parents to read aloud to their little ones) you might find some sales.

message 4: by Andre Jute (new)

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 4851 comments Mod
I see under ten with very expensive phones often enough for it to be noteworthy. Also, people who buy books read to their children, as Sierra says. I expect by Christmas next year some kind of 49.95 full colour tablet will be in many Christmas stockings.

The thing to consider, Katie, isn't whether there is a big market right now, but that there is always something to gain for a marketer by catching the edge of the wave. If you're in there, you can grow with the market, if you get lucky become synonymous with it.

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments Andre Jute wrote: "The thing to consider, Katie, isn't whether there is a big market right now, but that there is always something to gain for a marketer by catching the edge of the wave. If you're in there, you can grow with the market, if you get lucky become synonymous with it. "

That's a good point. I'll work on it, then. Where do I apply to get 12 extra hours added to my day?

Patricia, when I say 8-12, I'm thinking bright 8 (and who still loves to be read to)to 12-year-old who doesn't normally like to read. I have one of each in my house.

message 6: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments Next question - do you think kids would be attracted to this cover? If not, any suggestions? (My kids love it, but they could be slightly biased).

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/84...

message 7: by Claudine (new)

My 10yo son would love that cover. My 8yo dd not so much.

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments Claudine wrote: "My 10yo son would love that cover. My 8yo dd not so much."

As the book is aimed at boys more than girls, that's good to know, Claudine!

message 9: by Claudine (new)

I showed him the cover. He reckons he'll pick a book up off the shelf if he sees that on the cover :D

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments Claudine wrote: "I showed him the cover. He reckons he'll pick a book up off the shelf if he sees that on the cover :D"

Aw! Give that lovely boy a jelly baby! (Thanks, Claudine's son.)

message 11: by Andre Jute (new)

I've been into dragons recently for a litcritbio, so I guess I'm just a boy at heart...

I love that cover. And which kid wouldn't want a cute baby dragon?

Super.

message 12: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments Very appealing cover, but it might scare a little one.

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments Patricia Sierra wrote: "Very appealing cover, but it might scare a little one."

Believe me, Patricia, compared to some of the books on our school library shelves where I work, this cover is sweet!

I remember getting a book of English Fairy Tales when I was six which had a picture of the Lambton Worm in it. I used to sneak a peak at it every so often, just to scare myself!

message 14: by Ken (new)

Ken If your child wrote an ebook, the least you could do is wait until s/he is fully grown before trying to publish it. Geeze.

message 15: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments Sorry, Ken, you've lost me. Who's said anything about a child writing a book?

message 16: by Ken (new)

Ken It was a joke.

message 17: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments Oops, sorry, couldn't see the smirk.

message 18: by Ken (new)

Ken It's in my photo, if you look closely enough. ;)

message 19: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (xenasmom) | 306 comments Katie:
With a cover like that I would not be able to keep it on the shelves.

message 20: by Andre Jute (new)

Margie wrote: "Katie:
With a cover like that I would not be able to keep it on the shelves."

That's what I thought. First whole book I ever wrote, when I was nine, I started by drawing the cover, sitting up on my mother's bed while she tapped out a short story for a magazine called, if memory serves, Personality. There's power in covers. That's a *great* cover.

message 21: by Katie (last edited Jul 21, 2011 05:53PM) (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments Wow!

I've actually decided that to avoid the 'scariness' that Patricia and quite a few friends on Facebook have mentioned, that I'll change the cover to dark blue/black instead of the red/black. It's also got a few faded computer 'parts' on the background to show that the book is about an electronic game. But it's mostly the same.

Thanks for the great encouragement! Now I just need to get back to editing and formatting it!

message 22: by Patricia (last edited Jul 21, 2011 06:36PM) (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments But, but, but...I love the cover. Just thought it might scare some little kids at the lower end of your targeted ages, but parents would make that call. Not all kids would be afraid.

message 23: by Katie (last edited Jul 21, 2011 07:14PM) (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments Patricia Sierra wrote: "But, but, but...I love the cover. Just thought it might scare some little kids at the lower end of your targeted ages, but parents would make that call. Not all kids would be afraid."

It wasn't just you who said the red was scary. This still looks all right though, doesn't it?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The blue actually fits the story better because in the scene with this dragon, the MC falls from a cliff and is lost for a moment in a blue screen while the game saves the moment before he fell and puts him back there.

message 24: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments This version isn't as scary, but I do like the original one better. The impact was gangbusters.

message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments Sob!

I'll have to do as someone suggested. On Tuesday, when school resumes, I'll go into a class of 10-11 year olds with the first cover and the last cover and ask them which they like best. If it's a tie, I'll choose the one most boys went for. (My 12-year-old loves the red one).

I really must learn not to ask opinions.

message 26: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments It's okay to ask. Just don't listen to me.

message 27: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments Not just you! :P

message 28: by Claudine (new)

Katie my son prefers the first one...just thought I'd throw that in there while you are still considering the covers :D

message 29: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments Thanks, Claudine. I showed it to thirty 10-year-olds today. They mostly liked the first one, too.