Discovering Russian Literature discussion

SIDEREADS - CONTEMPORARY BOOKS > What are contemporary Russian books? Recommendations!

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amalie (new)

Amalie  | 650 comments Mod
This folder is to do group discussions on more contemporary Russian books. We'll start off with these questions:

How often would you to have group reading discussions?

What are the contemporary books you would like to read? (I don't think there are any in the bookshelf)
Nominate books. Make sure you link the book using Goodreads formatting tips /(some html is ok)

How contemporary are we talking about - Books published in 80's, 90's...?

Elizabeth (Alaska) I have one contemporary book on my shelf: The Winter Queen. I doubt it will ever be considered "literature", but instead a nice mystery to break up some of the more intense other reading.

message 3: by Lea (new)

Lea Bech-Sjøthun | 3 comments Time interval: As I'm still reading the classics, I'd say once a month - no more often at least :-)

Contemporary def: 90's+ I guess - post USSR...

Nomination: Death and the Penguin was mentioned at last classics nominations, and I'd love to read it!

message 4: by Silver (new)

Silver If the 80's can be counted than I nominate The Coming of the King by Nikolai Tolstoy

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert (robtbower) I'm not sure when contemporary begins. Would Solzhenitsyn be contemporary? His book, In the First Circle was recently re-released without the Soviet editing; is that contemporary? In the First Circle

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris | 32 comments Since it got knocked from the classic thread for being too contemporary, I nominate Dreams of My Russian Summers by Andrei Makine.

message 7: by Stephen (last edited Jul 19, 2011 04:53AM) (new)

Stephen Ramey (steveglines) | 2 comments The book I'd like to recommend is actually by a German woman named Sonia Meyer. The book takes place in Russia and has such a Russian feeling about it I have to recommend it: Dosha, Flight of the Russian Gypsies by Sonia Meyer Dosha, Flight of the Russian Gypsies.

message 8: by Mark (new)

Mark Graham | 14 comments Death and a Penguin - Andrei Kurkov (available in English now in America)
The Yellow Arrow - Victor Pevelin

Discussions anytime.

Kuolema ja pingviini.

The Yellow Arrow

Elizabeth (Alaska) Professor Martens' Departure.

While not strictly Russian, the author Jaan Kross is Estonian. I think this would be good for our group because of the time and setting, that of czarist Russia.

message 10: by Terry (new)

Terry Let's not forget Nabakov! He spans the early 1920's (while an émigré in Berlin) to mid-20th century. Translation isn't an issue either as his works not written in English were generally translated either by Nabakov himself or his son. Writing on the fly, so don't have time to add links to specific works. Just wanted to put a word in for this remarkable author. Too often he's overshadowed by his best known work "Lolita" -- but he has a large body of work.

message 11: by Amalie (new)

Amalie  | 650 comments Mod
Robert wrote: "I'm not sure when contemporary begins. Would Solzhenitsyn be contemporary? His book, In the First Circle was recently re-released without the Soviet editing; is that contemporary? In the Fi..."</i>

I did add other Solzhenitsyn's work under classic. Since it's set in 40's shall we group with Long Fiction reading?

<i>Chris wrote: "Since it got knocked from the classic thread for being too contemporary, I nominate Dreams of My Russian Summers by Andrei Makine."</i>

Hi Chris. I'm glad you re-nominated it here. [book:Dreams Of My Russian Summers: A Novel
was not added, mainly because no one seconded it and it seemed more contemporary compared with other nominations.

Anyone interested in these novels?

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

message 12: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Mundi (gloriamundi) | 9 comments I have a few of Pelevin's books on my TBR list.

message 13: by Lea (new)

Lea Bech-Sjøthun | 3 comments Victor Pelevin is on my to-read list as well :-)

message 14: by Sergej (new)

Sergej Golovachov | 2 comments I prefer to read Bald Maiden Mountain by GolovachovBald Maiden Mountain

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Just wanted to recommend a good book, if anyone is interested: Petropolis by Anna Ulinich. The author was born in Moscow, but came to the US when she was 17. The book takes place in Russia and in the US. It is a real treat to read. It is becoming a new favorite of mine.