Coffee & Books discussion

Suggestions > Recommended Fantasy Books

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2992 comments Mod
Fantasy and dystopian are my favorite genres! Any good ones?

message 2: by Elizabeth (last edited Jul 16, 2011 07:43PM) (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth1234561) | 14 comments There's The Maze Runner series. I've only read the first book so far, but it's pretty good. People generally relate it to The Hunger Games.

message 3: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "There's The Maze Runner series. I've only read the first book so far, but it's pretty good."

I will have to go look that up!

message 4: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Oryx and Crake!!!! This series is dystopian and awesome.

message 5: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Jordan wrote: "Oryx and Crake!!!! This series is dystopian and awesome."

Oh my gosh. My two favorite genres! I have to read it.

message 6: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Morgan-MacKay (smorganmackay) | 3 comments I would HIGHLY recommend picking up Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora. It is the first of seven books in a series. His writing style is absolutely invigorating, fresh and bold. Hard to believe that this is his first book. I, literally, could not put this book down.

message 7: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Stephen wrote: "I would HIGHLY recommend picking up Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora. It is the first of seven books in a series. His writing style is absolutely invigorating, fresh and bold...."

Okay! Thanks! I will definitely check him and his series out!

message 8: by Sana (last edited Aug 14, 2011 07:59AM) (new)

Sana (sanashams) You can check out Nightshade by Andrea Cremer. I read it a few days back and it was pretty good; hopefully, the second book will be better.

Or another option could be Die for Me by Amy Plum. I am still in the process of reading it, but I am finding it very interesting and different!

Both are from the Fantasy genre.

My first Dystopian book was Matched by Ally Condie and though it hasn't made to my favorites shelf, the series definitely have potential!

message 9: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

I have heard so many things about Matched. I will have to read it!

message 10: by Adria (new)

Adria | 26 comments The Sevenwaters Sage by Juliet Marillier, they are fantasy, and somewhat historical fiction as well.

message 11: by Adria (new)

Adria | 26 comments oops seventwaters saga, there are 5 books so far.

message 12: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Adria wrote: "The Sevenwaters Sage by Juliet Marillier, they are fantasy, and somewhat historical fiction as well."

Just added to my to read (:

message 13: by Gina - (new)

Gina -   Behind the Pages (behindthe_pages) | 15 comments ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE WITH THE SEVENWATERS SERIES! AS WELL AS ALL OF JULIET MARILLIERS BOOKS FALL UNDER THE FATASY GENRE.
Once you've read the Sevenwaters Series then try Heart's Blood!!!!

message 14: by Clio (Bemuzed) (new)

Clio (Bemuzed) (bemuzed) Love Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind, am now reading the sequel The Wise Man's Fear

message 15: by Anty (new)

Anty Notosapoetro (antyh) | 5 comments Stephen wrote: "I would HIGHLY recommend picking up Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora. It is the first of seven books in a series. His writing style is absolutely invigorating, fresh and bold...."

I agree. I'm not finish reading it yet but the story is really intriguing. After this series maybe The Game of Throne or Trudi Canavan's books.

message 16: by Fatema (new)

Fatema (fatema7) I would highly recommend the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. It is definitely not young adult though. Can be slightly explicit sometimes. The series is addicting. Once you start you can't stop, which is a bit annoying considering he takes foreeeever to release the new books. 5/7 of them are already out I believe.
Never Let me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro is a great dystopia book! It's also another book that's not easy to put down. If you're going to read Never Let me Go, then DO NOT GOOGLE IT OR LOOK IT UP BEFORE YOU START! I found that the beauty of the book was how subtly the author introduces issues, and that could be completely ruined very easily.

message 17: by Katy (new)

Katy | 2 comments I second the Song of Ice and Fire series! I'm not normally a big fantasy reader but this series has kept me enthralled the whole way. George R.R. Martin does amazing character development in this series - he really makes you love/hate characters. The books are lengthy but I promise you fly through them. His 5th book just came out which I'm very excited to read!

message 18: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

I am really going to have to check that one out then!

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (Northern Plunder) (northernplunder) Jordan wrote: "Oryx and Crake!!!! This series is dystopian and awesome."

I bought this book cause I saw someone recommend it on tumblr, I think I'll start it soon!

message 20: by Maryanne (new)

Maryanne Grabo (maryannegrabo) Hi, I recommend the fantasy fiction novel Journey into the Realm: The Elf Girl by Markelle Grabo www.markellegrabo.com. Markelle is also a Goodreads author. The book is available in paperback, hard cover and Ebook. Book two is due out this spring.

message 21: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Maryanne wrote: "Hi, I recommend the fantasy fiction novel Journey into the Realm: The Elf Girl by Markelle Grabo www.markellegrabo.com. Markelle is also a Goodreads author. The book is available in paperback, ha..."

Thanks!

message 22: by Melea (new)

Melea (meleaadrianna) Divergent by Veronica Roth is quite a fun, fresh take on a new dystopian. It was shortlisted for novel of the year.

Also, The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson is one of the most enthalling fantasies I've read in quite some time. Carson breaks all castes of stereotyping in creating her characters and created a world/society so unique and hypnotizing. I read for 6 hours straight until I finished, and am now impatiently waiting for book 2.

message 23: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Flame wrote: "I would defiantly recommend Inkheart and the rest of the Inkworld series. Very interesting plot."

I have read that :)

message 24: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Melea wrote: "Divergent by Veronica Roth is quite a fun, fresh take on a new dystopian. It was shortlisted for novel of the year.

Also, The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Cars..."

Thanks!!!! I will add them into my TBR list!

message 25: by Melea (new)

Melea (meleaadrianna) Rachel Skye wrote: "Melea wrote: "Divergent by Veronica Roth is quite a fun, fresh take on a new dystopian. It was shortlisted for novel of the year.

Also, [book:The Girl of Fire and Thorns|1042909..."

Trust me, you won't be disappointed!! Let me know what you think :)

message 26: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (wolfkeepadri) 'The Queen's Theif' Series by Megan Whalen Turner. So delicious. and of course, 'The Hunger Games' by Suzanne Collins!!!!

message 27: by Kel (new)

Kel | 67 comments I personally enjoyed Demon Girl and Demon Day By Penelope Fletcher Haven't got around to the 3rd one yet.
Also The Sandman Slim series byRichard Kadrey is great!

message 28: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (Northern Plunder) (northernplunder) Shades of Grey - such a good dystopia book like nothing I've ever read before.

message 29: by Varla Fiona (last edited Feb 08, 2012 03:53AM) (new)

Varla Fiona (dory_42) Anything by Terry Pratchett, Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer, Inkheart Trilogy: Inkheart, Inkspell, Inkdeath...

Just some to start with... Fantasy is my favourite genre!!

message 30: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) I really enjoyed The Knife of Never Letting Go. It is the first in a trilogy. I have yet to read the other two.

message 31: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Varla Fiona wrote: "Anything by Terry Pratchett, Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer, Inkheart Trilogy: Inkheart, Inkspell, Inkdeath...

Just some to start with..."

I loved Inkheart!

message 32: by Emma (new)

Emma Anything by Diana Wynne Jones, especially Fire and Hemlock,Dark Lord of Derkholm and the Howl books. Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card, I think) is excellent. Pratchett has already been mentioned, Wee Free Men is the one I generally start people on. Hasn't failed yet :)

message 33: by Esther (new)

Esther  (estame) I know this is hardly hardcore Fantasy but I love the Thursday Next series, starting with The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. Perfect for bookish crime/mystery lovers with a Fantasy twist.

message 34: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

ღEstaღ wrote: "I know this is hardly hardcore Fantasy but I love the Thursday Next series, starting with The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. Perfect for bookish crime/mystery lovers with..."

I see that as one of the newest nominations in the poll, It looks really interesting!

message 35: by Teneal (new)

Teneal | 231 comments I've decided I would like to read some fantasy books. I've never really read any (apart from the Harry Potter series of course!) and would like to. Any recommendations for someone new to the genre - nothing too full on to begin with?

I've read through these recommendations and some of them sound great! I've added a couple to my TBR list :)

message 36: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (bkfiend) I see some great suggestions here, but would add a classic Arthurian-based fantasy: Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It's the Arthur tales from the women's point of view and spawned several sequels/prequels from the author.

message 37: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Nancy wrote: "I see some great suggestions here, but would add a classic Arthurian-based fantasy: Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It's the Arthur tales from the women's point of view and spawned severa..."

Oh that sounds really interesting, adding it to my TBR list now!

message 38: by Nancy (last edited Mar 27, 2012 10:16AM) (new)

Nancy My favorite fantasy novels are The Kushiel's Legacy series by Jacqueline Carey, The Amber Chronicles by Roger Zelazny, The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher, The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne, A Song for Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay, The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle, Unicorn Mountain by Michael Bishop, The Mabinogion Tetralogy by Evangeline Walton, Rhinegold by Stephan Grundy, The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien and Ariel: A Book of the Change by Steven R. Boyett.

message 39: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey | 3 comments the born trilogy is very good. interesting characters and fast moving ;0)

message 40: by Adria (new)

Adria | 26 comments The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, The Nightside series by Simon R. Green, The Sandman Slim series by Richard Kadrey. these series are urban fantasy. if you're looking for a more traditional fantasy feel try A Song of Fire and Ice by George R.R. Martin.

message 41: by Phrynne (new)

Phrynne Adria wrote: "The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, The Nightside series by Simon R. Green, The Sandman Slim series by Richard Kadrey. these series are urban fantasy. if you're looking for a more traditional fantasy..."

Haven't read the others but yes yes yes to the Dresden Files. I have nearly read all of them and will be quite disappointed when I get to the end.

message 42: by Adria (new)

Adria | 26 comments Well the others I mentioned are close enough to fill your Dresden Files craving lol but are interesting enough to stand on their own.

message 43: by Phrynne (new)

Phrynne Adria wrote: "Well the others I mentioned are close enough to fill your Dresden Files craving lol but are interesting enough to stand on their own."

Yes. Thankyou! I have written them down for future reference.

message 44: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Thank you!

message 45: by Nicky (new)

Nicky (raggamuffin) | 10 comments There's so much available and so many good recommendations in this thread already.

For readers just starting the genre, I'll share the series that succesfully drew me into the fantasy pool: the Deathgate cycle, by Weis & Hickman.

The first book is Dragon Wing and it's a series of 7.
Weis and Hickman created multiple, fully realized worlds for this project:

Arianus, the World of Air.
Pryan, Realm of Fire
Abarrach, the Realm of Stone
Chelestra, World of Water

The story unfolds around Haplo, an agent sent to scout the elemental worlds.

What made it a good introduction to fantasy for me is the fact that you don't get too bombarded with detail.
don't get me wrong, the worlds are vast, the cultures established in those worlds are well rounded and it's a real testament of Weis and Hickmans creativity, but I never felt like I was struggling to get through any of the seven books, because you never get lost in endless descriptions and intricate details.
The story is actually pretty straightforward (as far as you can consider fantasy stories straightforward) and you discover the world(s) along with Haplo, not unlike you discover the wizarding world along with Harry.
Bit by bit layers of the story unravel and you will encounter more than a few unexpected surprises.

message 46: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (morethanfairytales) | 31 comments There are many good books that have already been recommended here, so I'll add one that I recently finished: The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton. It's set in Seattle, Washington, and draws on a rich culture and history of the supernatural to carry its story of a girl with wings and the magical family she comes from. Highly recommended.

message 47: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (spirolim) | 119 comments After looking through all the comments, there are two series that haven't been mentioned yet that I would love to recommend:

First, the Bartimaeus Trilogy, by Jonathan Stroud. They are technically children's books but they are so much fun! The first book in the trilogy is called The Amulet of Samarkand

Second, the Seven Kingdoms Trilogy by Kristin Cashore. These YA books have strong female characters that make for creative reads. The first book in the trilogy is called Graceling

message 48: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 242 comments Have you read the Lunar Chronicles series by Marissa Meyer? Cinder is book 1. Also, the Twisted Tale series by Liz Braswell.