A Dog's Purpose (A Dog's Purpose, #1) A Dog's Purpose discussion

Literally laughed out loud and then cried like a baby

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Debbie Mcarthur This is one of my all time favorites! I even got my girls to read this one and they don't read much at all...has to be a page turner from the get go for them to read it. I fell in love with this dog and made me look at my dogs in a whole new light. There were parts where I was literally laughing out loud and parts where I cried like a baby. My daughter called me one day when she was in the middle of reading it and said she was mad because she had been crying and she was missing our dogs and cudn't get over to see them.

I have recommended this one to all my dog lover friends and so far everyone has had the same reaction and love for the book that I did.

message 2: by Jaidyn (new)

Jaidyn I cried so much too. It really broke my heart.

Debbie Mcarthur Yeah there were several times I cried too, and I was at work when I was crying on some of the parts. There was a girl where I work that just finished it the other night and she came over to the floor I was workin on and told me she just finished it and was in tears, and when I saw her and a girl she works with, they were tickled about it. The girl she works with was sayin she heard snifflin and turned to ask her if she had a cold and saw that she was crying.

✿Sandra I am not a dog owner, but I loved this book. I liked the way the dog was continually reborn and the purposes it served for different people. I also liked when the story came full circle at the end, and it did make me cry.

Shayla The very end reminded me of my own dog. I sat by him through pain and misery. He comforted me and I comforted him. I was there in his finest hour and in his last, even though I didn't know it.

Mattie A dogs purpose is my #1 favourite book of all times I fell in love with the characters and cried so hard I almost had to stop but kept on going cus I knew he was going to be reborn and find his owner who he was loyal to ever scince he met ethan I would haft to say I could not live without that wounderful book!!!! :)

Carol Kneisley Five Stars Read this Book!

message 9: by Cyd (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cyd This is the best book I've read all year! I'm tearing up just thinking about it!

Brenda Gail I agree that this was one of my favorites! So many times I wonder what my furry friends would say to me if only they could. I just loved how this story just all came together! Great book!!!

Amanda Joyce Woods I loved this book. After I read it, I posted a quick msg. about it on Facebook, and W. Bruce Cameron, the author, actually e-mailed me and asked how I liked the book. I was really excited.

✿Sandra Amanda wrote: "I loved this book. After I read it, I posted a quick msg. about it on Facebook, and W. Bruce Cameron, the author, actually e-mailed me and asked how I liked the book. I was really excited."

That is exciting! I loved this book, and every time someone posts their comments here and I get them, it reminds me of what a wonderful story it is!

message 13: by Joanna (last edited Aug 17, 2011 08:54PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joanna That IS exciting, Amanda!

The story reminded me of my relationship with Cha Cha (profile pic). Someone earlier suggested "The Art of Racing in the Rain." That is another fabulous book.

Irene I cried so much they attributed it to global warming. And I really loved the twist--dogs get reincarnated!? Who knew? Anyway, a fabulous book for dog lovers--makes me think of my long-gone boxer even more...

Connieb I agree with all. This was an excellent read! It's about lessons in life and coming full circle.

Jenny Yup, this book is great! I totally enjoyed reading it!
It was a little sad at some parts, but i really liked meaning this book gave. Five stars for this book!

Jenny Yup, this book is great! I really enjoyed reading it! I like the meaning that this book gave. 5 Stars for the book!

Juliana i was on the last few pages and started crying and wanted to stop but my hand wouldnt let me put it down hahahhaha so good i recoment it to anyone who does or has loved a dog

Gayle Loved, loved, loved every minute of it. Recommendation: Do not wear mascara when coming to the conclusion of the book.

Everyone just has to read it!

Debbie Mcarthur Yeah this is one of my all time favorites!! I heard they are making a movie...can't wait to see that and hope it is even half as good as the book

Linda La Londe Definitely one of the best books I've ever read. I cried so hard at the end. I lost my best friend about 1-1/2 years ago, but now I'm hoping she'll come back to me some day. :)

Lablover I thought this book was better than Racing in the Rain. I felt that it was truly a dog lover's book as it really honed in on the relationhship between dogs and humans. This is one of my favorites and is my all time favorite dog books! LOVE IT!

message 23: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue I loved this book! It was hard to read about some of the things this dog went through in his lives but it also made you love him all the more. I put this book right up there with Racing in the Rain and think they are equally good.

Charity I just finished reading this book not long ago and I loved it. Having two dogs of my own, I cherished the relationship between the dog and each of his humans in this story.

On a side note, do you ever wish your dogs came with thought bubbles? I do!

message 25: by Cyd (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cyd Yes Charity I do. If only they could talk to us for a day. We recently rescued a dog from our shelter. I'm always asking her is this the first time you've gone camping or shopping at Pet Smart, etc.

Caitlin M This is like the equivilent to Marley & Me. It's funny but a tear jerker at the same time! i've read it 4 times! I love it so much especally his first (technecally like 2nd) life with Ethan. It was my absolute favorite life of his!!!

Charity Cyd wrote: "Yes Charity I do. If only they could talk to us for a day. We recently rescued a dog from our shelter. I'm always asking her is this the first time you've gone camping or shopping at Pet Smart, etc."

I talk to my dogs as if they will respond to me and sometimes they do but with their eyes, their head tilts, and so forth. I like the idea of dogs talking to us for a day but another part of me wonders if that would take the charm away from the fact that they can't. Thoughts?

Sidney this book had some really sad moments, but some things in this book highlighted my day!:)

Joanna Lol, while I was reading I think I was alternating between sobbing, cracking up, and smiling like an idiot. It touched your heart like only a dog can. <3

Gayle Joanna wrote: "Lol, while I was reading I think I was alternating between sobbing, cracking up, and smiling like an idiot. It touched your heart like only a dog can. <3"

Very well said, Joanna. My sentiments exactly.

Colette LOVED this book! Really a heart-warming story especially if you have pets!

Jennifer G. I have never cried so hard reading this story. I would be driving in my car and think of that dog and just burst into tears. I want to read it again, but I don't want to cry that hard! Like another reviewer said, it made me think of my dog as well as see him in a whole new light. I did love this book, but I truly lost control of my emotions reading it. The author must be a deeply sensitive person.

message 33: by Cyd (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cyd Yes! That's how I felt, I would find myself recommending the book to people and start tearing up.

message 34: by Joclyn (last edited Jan 31, 2012 08:34AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joclyn Shayla wrote: "Then try reading The Art of Racing in the Rain"
"The Art of Racing in the Rain" was also an incredible read! I also love "Nose Down Eyes Up", and don't forget the Spencer Quinn series featuring the Chet and Berny mysteries... Dogs are so inspirational, I am lucky enough to live with five
! <3 "A Dogs Purpose" is the ultimate dog book...

message 35: by Pam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pam Williams A friend of mine sent me this book for Christmas and I read it in the hospital when my mother was dying. Needless to say, I cried and laughed and cried some more. I sponsored The Art of Racing in the Rain for my book club and wished I had recommended this instead (although I love them both.) I'm tearing up writing this but I was really glad I had it to keep me company in the hospital.

✿Sandra Pam wrote: "A friend of mine sent me this book for Christmas and I read it in the hospital when my mother was dying. Needless to say, I cried and laughed and cried some more. I sponsored [book:The Art of Rac..."

I'm sorry for your loss. That would be a hard time to read this book, but also, it would be a comforting book to read during that time. I cried while reading it without being in your situation, so I can only imagine. It's a wonderful story.

Jennyamy Yes, this was a wonderful book! I certainly laughed out loud plenty of times, but it was a bit heart wrenching at times too. If you enjoyed this book I have to agree with Pam and the others, try The Art of Racing in the Rain. My fiance and I, both big dog lovers, read both. I preferred A Dog's Purpose but he is in love with The Art of Racing in the Rain. Honestly, cars and dogs are two of his favorite things, he likes to spend his day off in the garage with the dog working on his 56 Buick, so he had a clear bias from the beginning. Anyway, I loved every minute of A Dog's Purpose and very much enjoyed The Art of Racing in the Rain. You might find this Time magazine article on dog memoirs interesting: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/art...

SpreadYourWings OMG THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE
IT SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 39: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori this has become one of my all time favorite books. I took this out of the library and liked it so much I ordered a book to buy. i love books about animals especially dogs. this is a wonderful story.

message 40: by Jessica (last edited Mar 13, 2012 04:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jessica Thompson Holy Wow!!!! I flippin' LOVED this book!!!!!!!!! LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, does any one know any other good dog books by W. Bruce Cameron?

Jessica Thompson LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 42: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori W.bruce Cameron is coming out with a new book In May. it is called"A Dog's journey" it has a beagle on the front of the cover. Looking forward to getting it this Spring.!!

Jessica Thompson Sweet! Thanks So Much!!! :)

Jessica Thompson Ok. I will look for that one. Any others already Written?

message 45: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori Emory's Gift if from W.Bruce Cameron. not sure of others. I read both A dog's purpose, and Emory's Gift. I liked A dog's purpose better.

Jessica Thompson Thanks!

Joclyn W. Bruce Cameron's new book "A Dog's Journey" will be coming out soon, I can't wait.

message 48: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori i plan on getting a copy too. hope it is as good as A dog's purpose.

Joclyn Lori,we will need to meet back here and compare notes!

Melissa I absolutely loved this book!!

« previous 1