Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Books deleted by Goodreads?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mireille Duval (new)

Mireille Duval | 1 comments Two books I read recently were combined with another edition and then had their first edition deleted.

In one case, the new edition is less complete (the first one had cover image, the right title/authors, etc.; the new one barely has anything). It's this one: DRAGON BLEU

The other one is even weirder: there are French and English versions of the book, and the French one seems to have completely disappeared. It's Reunion in English (Reunion) and Conventum in French.

In the changelog, the Dragon bleu one seemed to have been merged by another librarian, but then Goodreads deleted the "right" version, and the second one apparently was just deleted by "goodreads". Is there a way to revert this? What caused both of them to be deleted in the last few days? I don't know if there are others like it...

message 2: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 50 comments I noticed a similar problem with two German books:
Amazonentochter (this edition had been deleted on July 15, although it had had an ISBN and I couldn't import it through amazon again, so I had to re-add it manually)

Darkover Landfall (my German edition by Weltbild Verlag (that doesn't always put ISBNs on its books because it's a special edition) has also been deleted on July 15, I've just noticed it and didn't add the book again)

I didn't check my other books so far but would prefer having my own editions listed.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43597 comments Mod
Did it have an ASIN? A one-time script was run recently to delete the horde of those that got accidentally imported.

Deletions can't be undone, but it should be safe to add these back, since if it was an unfortunate side-effect of the script, there's no plan to run it again (the leak was patched).

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments rivka, I'm having trouble importing books from Amazon, too...think they patched it too well?

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Unlikely to be because of the patch, since it had nothing to do with search.

message 6: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (vickyl) | 21 comments Rivka--while I'm glad the extra editions/bad imports have now been deleted, I'm really pretty upset to see that all the Audible editions were the babies thrown out with the bathwater. Is there any easy way to add those back in, or am I going to have to look up the ASINs and individually re-add an edition for each of those books I'd already shelved? I wish the script had done some sort of check on whether the editions it deleted were already shelved, as I'm sure many of the Audible editions were.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

It did check on whether they were shelved, and only deleted those shelved editions where it could merge them. (So the reviews of such editions weren't lost, they were just moved over to another edition. Which I do recognize is still a PITA, but at least the review wasn't lost.) An awful lot of the bad editions were shelved, for whatever reason.

And I apologize about the Audible editions -- I totally forgot about those when we were figuring out specs. >_< (I doubt the other people involved even know about them, but I should have remembered.)

Unfortunately, I know of no way to add them back en masse. :(

message 8: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments OK I'll ask: what is an Audible edt?

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Specific type of audiobook available via Audible/Amazon. They lack ISBNs, but they have ASINs.

message 10: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (vickyl) | 21 comments rivka wrote: Unfortunately, I know of no way to add them back en masse. :(
Sigh...I was afraid of that. I guess I know my next project. A librarian's work is never done.

MissJessie--Audible editions are downloadable audiobooks from Audible.com. Since Audible is owned by Amazon, those editions had ASINs, but not ISBNs, and so were unfortunately deleted along with all the recent bad imports.

message 11: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments Thank you both for the info.