Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Curious about gaming and books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by JanetTronstad (last edited Jul 16, 2011 04:20PM) (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
A I mentioned earlier, I've been writing hard lately and not doing much else (sent the book off two days ago though). While writing hard, I tend to take a few breaks and play solitaire on my computer. Something about it I like. This time though I was curious about what exactly I liked and noticed I get bored wtih the game at the point when it's obvious I will win. So I don't play the game out to the end. Oddly enough if it's apparent I'm still losing, I continue the game to the bitter end.

I had initially thought I liked solitaire because it was ordering things in a pattern and was soothing (and that can be soothing when nothing else seems like it's going smooth), but I think it is more the working things out that I like in the game (it's obviously not winning as I mentioned I don't always follow the play all the way out to that). Then I got to thinking (see how my mind goes when I'm engrossed in a book) that these same things carry over to what kind of a book I like. If the book is to easy (and I think this may be different for all of us, but for me too easy is if its all too predictable) then I don't have patience to wait for the ending and just give up the book. On the other hand, even if the book is flawed terribly, I will read to the end if its not too predictable.

So, I'm wondering if you play games (on the computer or off) and, if you do, do you see any corrolation between them and your reading style? It's a hard question I know, but I'm curious. We are all such interesting creatures.

message 2: by Judy (new)

Judy I play spider or freefall when I'm on the phone and don't have to think. It is a way to keep my hands busy or if I just don't want to think. I have only not finished a few books. Even if the plot is mindless I have to say I finished it. I read one the other day where someone seemed to guilty to be guilty and I think they ended up being guilty but it was written well enough that you were unsure. I don't know if I read any books where I feel mindless like with those games. But some games like the falling color things where you have to be on guard would go along with books where I have to focus more on them to not get confused I think.

message 3: by JanetTronstad (new)

Interesting, Judy. And, I agree, sometimes I like to be doing something with my hands when my mind is otherwise occupied.

message 4: by Avery (new)

Avery Cove (averycove) | 7 comments Janet Tronstad wrote: "A I mentioned earlier, I've been writing hard lately and not doing much else (sent the book off two days ago though). While writing hard, I tend to take a few breaks and play solitaire on my compu..."

I play mindless games when I'm trying to reason a plot problem out or when something doesn't flow well . . . but I also play the games with nothing going on in my head and sometimes when I'm anxious. Don't guess I'm a good study for project. *LOL*

message 5: by JanetTronstad (new)

I do find it helpful, too, to play a game when I am trying to figure out a problem in the plot. Don't think I do it when I'm anxious though. Interesting, isn't it what makes us go for those games from time to time?

message 6: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments I play different games like solitare I like spider best and play to win. I like the challenge as much as anything. If I dont like a book I normally wont finish it.

message 7: by Judy (new)

Judy I use to have a mahjong addiction, before I started reading. I would delete it off my computer only to get it again. I do find I have an addictive type personality. I use to fix puzzles as a kid. I would never stop until they were finished. I made up such amazing stories while I fixed the puzzles. I have tried writing a few times but it seems the stories just don't go from head to paper as well.

message 8: by Melody (last edited Jul 17, 2011 12:26AM) (new)

Melody | 2493 comments I am a Farmville and Frontierville girl on FB, and I play those games to de-stress me from life. They are always changing, so it's never the same, and I like that. I do not like computer card games. My best friend and my fav aunt play as well, and it's truly how we bond, so I like that. I try to not let it take over my life, because it certainly could. I too, have addictive personality. I have to make myself not be that way. It's in the family, and I refuse to let it rule my life. :)

I don't care if books are predictable, life is unpredictable enough for me! As long as I can relate to the characters in any way, and if it's not boring, I will always finish it.

message 9: by JanetTronstad (new)

oh, I forgot about the FB games, Melody. I haven't gotten into them, but can totally see how you could bond with others over them. And your life has been so stressful of late, I can see why you don't mind predictable.

message 10: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments talking of games, I play scrabble on FB most every day with a neice that lives in Ky, this way we chat tru the game and I think learning new words is great, we have become quite competitive....

message 11: by JanetTronstad (new)

Paula -- that's great! Using it as a way to connect is good.

message 12: by Judy (new)

Judy about social networking... I have Google+ and was wondering if anyone else is out there. It is a bit more private. Its another great site to post my book reviews too. Just don't have many friends yet :-(

message 13: by Joy (new)

Joy I have enjoyed Bookworm, FreeCell, Text Twist, and Scrabble, but have never thought about a possible correlation between that and my reading. I do prefer word games. Maybe because I love reading? Hmm. I've always enjoyed word searches...crossword puzzles to a lesser degree. I guess I just love words! lol
This is all very interesting.

message 14: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments I play facebook games some are very addictive and time stealers. I like bejeweled.

message 15: by Judy (new)

Judy Bejeweled is addicting to me. I can lose so much time, time that should have been spent reading :-)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Judy wrote: "about social networking... I have Google+ and was wondering if anyone else is out there. It is a bit more private. Its another great site to post my book reviews too. Just don't have many friends y..."

I'm not on Google+. If I understand correctly, you can't just join, right? Someone has to invite you? Nobody has invited me yet, lol!

When I was on FB, I never played the games. I do enjoy doing Jigzone puzzles online (not sure if you'd call those a game). I also enjoy the 8 letter word game on the East of the Web site.

I've never thought about any connection to my games and my reading. I will stop reading a book, though, if I don't like it. I know many folks force themselves to finish a book even if they aren't enjoying it. I just can't do that!

message 17: by Judy (new)

Judy I can invite people as I am on it. If anyone wants to get to google + email me privately at judyjudyjudydv@gmail.com

It allows you to put people in circles: friends, family, etc. and they can only see within that circle. More privacy.

Sorry Janet. Back to the regular tuned station :-)

message 18: by JanetTronstad (new)

Not to worry, Judy -- we all love a public service announcement!

message 19: by Judy (new)

Judy :-)
At least I was not trying to sell anything, hhmmmm wonder what I could sell on the next commercial break

message 20: by JanetTronstad (new)

chuckling away here, Judy -- give us your best shot. That old rolling pin in your cupboard that's missing half the handle -- maybe an old paperback with the last pages missing. I'm sure you could make it sound good.

message 21: by Judy (new)

Judy Thanks for the laugh. I don't have any books with missing pages but perhaps if I pull out a page and sell the book and then "find" the page and sell that for a good price to the buyer of the book. Rolling pin is 31 years old but I guess I did not use it enough for it to break yet. I do have a gassy dog but I'm afraid hubby and son would sell me before they let her go

message 22: by JanetTronstad (new)

LOL now -- I like the idea of removing a page or two and then selling those for a higher price! You have a good business head on your shoulders.

message 23: by Judy (new)

Judy Thanks but I'm afraid that honesty would prevent me from such evil deed. Like creating a Dry Creek scene and making all the characters so your fans can make up stories while we wait for your next book to come out.

message 24: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Yeah, predictable actually is a breath of fresh air these days. Yet I do enjoy a good suspense book, so I can handle both in the reading world. :)

message 25: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
Anybody played Quarkle?

message 26: by JanetTronstad (new)

No, Lyn, haven't heard of Quarkle. Sounds like sparkle.

message 27: by Patsy (new)

Patsy | 217 comments I play mahjong quite a bit but I don't think it has anything to do with my reading style. I like playing that game because it's just for fun and you don't have to think very much. Sort of if you want to give your mind a rest from other things.

message 28: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Never heard of Quarkle...I've heard of Farkle! ! lol I play Frontierville and bejeweled and Gardens of Time on FB. Mahjong is fun and so is minesweeper

message 29: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments I am so glad you Frontier Jen, have I ever told ya that? You help me a lot, lol. :)

message 30: by Judy (new)

Judy Who has time for games with so many books to read :-)

message 31: by JanetTronstad (new)

Judy wrote: "Who has time for games with so many books to read :-)"

Good answer!! Chuckling here.

message 32: by Judy (new)

Judy Like I said I can get addicted and lose hours. Today I was on the phone though and opened up mine sweepers but that one gets boring quick.

message 33: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments I play frontierville, gardens of time and love wild west at FB. Im happy to add more friends i may be hard to find but am a friend of Jennifers under jenny blake

message 34: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Oh I do too Judy.
bejewelled does it to me.

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments I play a few games on FB like Cafe World & Gardens of Time. I also like doing jigsaw puzzles online.

message 36: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments Ahh Judy, games are fun, a little diversion, get away from housework, studies whatever you do, My laundry is washing while I play, not like the days My Mom did laundry, she had a wash day-an ironing day-etc...we have it easy now.

message 37: by Judy (new)

Judy I just use to lose so many hours. I feel more accomplished reading a book somehow :-)

My mom had her weekly schedule too. I'm sure I could find some housework to do if I looked but I'd have to put the book down :-)

message 38: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Melody wrote: "I am so glad you Frontier Jen, have I ever told ya that? You help me a lot, lol. :)"

lol Me too! i always need help building things! lol

message 39: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Laura wrote: "I play a few games on FB like Cafe World & Gardens of Time. I also like doing jigsaw puzzles online."

I like online jigsaw puzzles too!

message 40: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
Quarkle is a board game, kind of like dominoes. Fun!
Online jigsaw puzzles! That would drive me nuts!

message 41: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments I will look for you Ausjenny, I can be hard to find too. I can always use a good neighbor! :)

message 42: by Carla (new)

Carla Capshaw (carlacapshaw) | 987 comments Mod
Janet Tronstad wrote: "A I mentioned earlier, I've been writing hard lately and not doing much else (sent the book off two days ago though). While writing hard, I tend to take a few breaks and play solitaire on my compu..."

***I've been meaning to jump into this conversation since you first posted, Janet. I love Mahjong and Freecell. When I'm writing and come to a snag, I usuall play one of those two games. Both of them are like untying a knot and I think my brain unravels the problem I'm dealing with in my story while I'm "untying" the game. Sometimes it only takes a few games and other times quite a few, but when my brain says enough playing I can almost always go right back to my story and I find I've figured out how to handle whatever the problem was.

message 43: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Melody wrote: "I will look for you Ausjenny, I can be hard to find too. I can always use a good neighbor! :)"

That is true! Melody had to find me!!!! lol

message 44: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Yeah I did, and I am so very, very glad... :)

message 45: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Melody wrote: "Yeah I did, and I am so very, very glad... :)"

:)

Kimberlyisreading I work in a book store (yes, sometimes it's a bit nuts to work in the place of your addiction!) Currently I'm inhaling the teen section (I finally found the library- first time in 20 years! saves a ton!) It's amazing how much is not appropriate for the younger teens... so the only way I'll recommend is if I've read it.

Now if I could just figure out a system to review those things- I go through about 400 books a year (any suggestions.) Who needs sleep!! I'd rather read!

The games I play (Facebook, Wii) follow the books I've either grown up reading or stay at the core of my library.
Love Fantasy books (although I hate how sex has become the filler for everything! some authors I just refuse to read) Games: Castle Age, Kingdoms of Camelot, Empires and Allies.
I love the Love Inspired Suspense line. LIH became a favorite because I love all the detail- I can just imagine how much time it takes to research all that info to bring the past alive today.

To unwind: Gardens of Time, Farmville. I got sucked into some of these games thanks to family and friends!! LOL

To our authors: Thank you for having such wonderful books to read. I often recommend them to moms who have really advanced readers but want to avoid the sexuality content of older books.

message 47: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Kimberly wrote: "I work in a book store (yes, sometimes it's a bit nuts to work in the place of your addiction!) Currently I'm inhaling the teen section (I finally found the library- first time in 20 years! saves ..."

Oh!! What Book store? I work in one too, but it's a nationwide chain....Lifeway.

message 48: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments If you need another neighbor in Farmville I am your girl Kimberly. I got sucked in to that game too by my bestest friend... :)

message 49: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments I used t do Farmville, but I like Frontierville better. I don't know why!

message 50: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Frontierville seems more like you Jennifer, so maybe that's why.

« previous 1