Book Haven discussion

Contests > Book Haven Contest-Ends Aug 15th

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
I am the moderator of Book Haven. As a thank you to all of my wonderful members, I am doing two contests. For each contest, there will be one winner. The winner will receive an e-book copy of my book, “Caged in Darkness.” For those of you who do not own an e-reader or tablet, I can send a PDF copy that you will be able to read on your computer.
You are welcome to enter both contests! This contest will end on August 15th and I will choose the winners within a week after that.

Contest 1: Artistic
For the artistic contest you have several options.
A.) Create a graphic design that represents my book based on cover, title, and synopsis

B.) Create a drawing to represent my book

C.) Create a Book Trailer about my book based on cover, title, and synopsis

Contest 2: Written
For the written contest you have several options.
A.) Write a poem that represents my book and is based on the cover, synopsis, and preludes from my blog.

B.) Write a 1 page paper about the most interesting piece of information you can find about witches, demons, or angels

C.) A short story about a ritual/ceremony that witches perform.

D.) Use the title “Caged in Darkness”, and write about something personal in your life that this title evokes.

E.) Write a song about my book

Send your entries to bookhaven@live.com or post in this thread.

Good luck and I hope everyone enjoys this! :)

message 2: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 111 comments Hmm. Poetry...Hmm. I have a short story about witches in my anthology Sage. Does that count??? Or do I have to write something SPECIFICALLY for the contest. :>) Yes, I'm lazy, why do you ask??

message 3: by J.D. (new)

Maria wrote: "Hmm. Poetry...Hmm. I have a short story about witches in my anthology Sage. Does that count??? Or do I have to write something SPECIFICALLY for the contest. :>) Yes, I'm lazy, why do you ask??"

Does the short story have a circle/ceremony/ritual?

message 4: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 111 comments Yup. It's a pretty minor scene overall, but there is a circle and a ceremony. :>)

How do I send you a copy to see if it qualifies??? Or are we supposed to post the whole story?

message 5: by J.D. (new)

Maria wrote: "Yup. It's a pretty minor scene overall, but there is a circle and a ceremony. :>)

How do I send you a copy to see if it qualifies??? Or are we supposed to post the whole story?"

You can post it in this thread OR send it to bookhaven@live.com ;)

message 6: by J.D. (new)

Just a reminder that this contest ends August 15th! :) I hope many people decide to enter. :)

message 7: by Grace (last edited Aug 12, 2011 11:30PM) (new)

Grace | 8 comments I have emailed you my poem. I hope you got it. :)
If you haven't, here's the link: http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/2...

message 8: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 111 comments Hmm. I have not emailed the story yet. Hmm. Maybe I need to write a different one. Hmm. I think I have a short story that would do. These won't be published or put up anywhere right?

Hmm.

message 9: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta Working on a poem, as I am not visually artistic (at all!). Not musically gifted, either. I might, however, change my mind (if the poem is not coming together) and opt for choice C or D.

message 10: by J.D. (new)

Mawgojzeta wrote: "Working on a poem, as I am not visually artistic (at all!). Not musically gifted, either. I might, however, change my mind (if the poem is not coming together) and opt for choice C or D."

Maria wrote: "Hmm. I have not emailed the story yet. Hmm. Maybe I need to write a different one. Hmm. I think I have a short story that would do. These won't be published or put up anywhere right?

Hmm."

Grace wrote: "I have emailed you my poem. I hope you got it. :)"

Grace-I did get your poem! :) I wrote you back too.

Maria-No I would never publish or put your work anywhere. You own the rights, I will just be using it to pick the contest winner.

Mawgojzeta- I'm looking forward to reading whatever you submit! :)

message 11: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta Untitled poem:

the circle was broken
broken as my heart was
broken as my eyes
when i saw what you did

broken child
alone
fearing the darkness
i know is there

sanctuary
protection from you
but the darkness
still looms

broken young woman
even as i come into my own
i saw what you did
and i know the darkness

i love again
even broken i can love
but choices must be made
and the darkness calls

message 12: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments Emailed mine to you, Joy, but I'll post here as well ...

SALEM

I am a Witch. I celebrate the divinity in nature and all of life. I dance naked with the Old Gods and Goddesses in silver moonlight and the golden sunlight. I cast spells. I see into the future and learn from the lessons of my many pasts.

For a Witch, going to Salem is like a pilgrimage.

I wanted to do this years ago. My blood-sister lives in Rhode Island, and once, when visiting her, I blocked out a day for her to spend with our mother, and for me to drive out to Salem. I awoke to the kind of rain that only a seacoast state can generate. And it was worse in Massachusetts. So I went to the Christmas Tree Shop, instead. Even that was a little dicey. Sports cars don't float like the old Volkswagen Beetles. They float like cinderblocks.

Another 15 years passed before opportunity presented itself again.

I and a spirit-sister were making a grand trek to Maine. Moose, Lobsters, tiny little blueberries, maple syrup, and L.L.Bean. While Salem isn't actually on the way, it is in close vicinity to  on the way, and make a good overnight stop to break up the long drive, and see something different.

Different is perhaps too mild a word.

Salem is a sea-faring village that once whaling was no longer in fashion, and tall-masted ships stopped sailing to England and points beyond, struggled with it's identity.

It struggles still.

In between colonial houses and the sea stands a pedestrian mall that that makes that wacky, punk street in your city look tame. It's a circus, inlcuding clowns, mimes, jugglers, musicians and living history street performers reenacting the Witch Trials. I haven't seen so many spikes, leather,  and mohawks since the 1980s. The gray in my hair stood out because it wasn't streaked with hot pink and green.

I am surrounded by freaks.

And bewildered tourists.

I am a tourist, but I am not bewildered.

I've openly worn a pentacle for at least 25 years and have been a Witch far longer.

Salem is the first place I've intentionally tucked it carefully into my shirt.

I'm not one of them.

Really.

I have my picture taken sitting on the Samantha statue as quickly as possible.

I need to get out of town before someone notices I'm one of them.

message 13: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 111 comments Stormhawk--VERY nice!

message 14: by J.D. (new)

I'm already loving the submissions! :) I've only been getting submissions for the written side of the contest though! Isn't anyone going to do the artistic side? lol Either way, I love that my members are participating, and I have decided that you are welcome to enter multiple times in each contest (maximum 5 entries). :) I really just want this to be fun, creative, and a way to thank my members. If I get enough entries, I might give out more than 2 free ebooks. ;)

message 15: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments I was choosing to spare myself the indignity of a stick figure drawing ... that's all I'm really capable of.

Really.

message 16: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 111 comments Okay, I'm posting an excerpt from my book: Sage: Tales from a Magical Kingdom I think it has the elements necessary to count.

My guess about the age of the ghost was confirmed when Selbane's niece, Deirdre, was ferried from the hidden school that taught the darkness of necromancy. Since I had seen the ghost, I felt my attendance was necessary at the midnight ceremony. I wasn't certain the young chit could actually raise the dead, but if she did, I wanted to be able to confirm whether or not it was the same person I had seen.

"You realize that you might not recognize the ghost anyway?" my husband whispered.

The darkness wrapped around us, his voice another breeze in my ear. Shivers crawled down my spine. "Shh." The night was chilly enough without Ward muttering unhelpful thoughts in my ears.

When the girl beheaded a chicken, I nearly squeezed Ward's fingers off. It's not that I was unfamiliar with butchering, it was that the chicken did not act like a chicken once it had no head. Granted, all chickens continue to run and spurt blood after being killed. However, most do not run in a perfect circle, creating a magical sphere around a grave or two. I say two because Deirdre and the rest of us didn't know which king was haunting the castle.

Deirdre simply picked the oldest mausoleum in the church graveyard.

There ya go! It's got witches and a circle!

Maria

message 17: by J.D. (new)

stormhawk wrote: "I was choosing to spare myself the indignity of a stick figure drawing ... that's all I'm really capable of.

Really."

Maria wrote: "Okay, I'm posting an excerpt from my book: Sage: Tales from a Magical Kingdom I think it has the elements necessary to count.

My guess about the age of the ghost was confir..."

Maria-lol Interesting way to cast a circle! I'm loving the entries!

Stormhawk- I bet you could be artsy. Besides, if artists can take aluminum foil, stick it on a trunk, and call it art... anything can be artsy! lol It's okay though. ;)

message 18: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments Kudos to what everyone has posted thus far.

Lots of untapped talent wandering hereabouts!

message 19: by J.D. (new)

This is hilarious, but no one has entered the artistic competition! I have some GREAT entries for the written one, but 0 for the artistic. lol Stormhawk, at this rate... you could email me the stick drawing and win! haha

message 20: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla VdL (dunnopris) Tainted

How to escape this tainted feeling?
It cripples through me
It becomes part of my soul

I have to hate this cold feeling around me
Need to remember that I can still fight this cage
Caged in darkness

I will learn to triumph
My oppositions to darkness will triumph
My soul will be free of this taint

But how to escape this taint, I don’t yet know
I do know that I will not succumb
To the taint in my soul
Not yet.

message 21: by J.D. (new)

Thanks! Another great submission! :)

message 22: by stormhawk (last edited Aug 02, 2011 01:53PM) (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments J.D. wrote: "This is hilarious, but no one has entered the artistic competition! I have some GREAT entries for the written one, but 0 for the artistic. lol Stormhawk, at this rate... you could email me the stick drawing and win"

I did try to warn you ...

From Scrapbook Photos

Please let me know if my magnificent work of art doesn't display ... I don't use Picasa often and I'm not sure if I have the permissions set properly.

message 23: by Helen (new)

Helen Stormhawk, I love it. I wouldn't know how to send a pic!

message 24: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments Neither do I ... I just copied the "embed picture" instructions on the Picasa page ... I never got around to learning HTML back when it was new. Now I don't care. ;)

message 25: by Helen (new)

Helen haha. I've just downloaded Picasa but not played with it yet. I'm in charge of all things computer in school from September, apparantly I'm the most able!

message 26: by J.D. (new)

stormhawk wrote: "J.D. wrote: "This is hilarious, but no one has entered the artistic competition! I have some GREAT entries for the written one, but 0 for the artistic. lol Stormhawk, at this rate... you could emai..."

lol OMG I NEEDED that! I laughed so hard that my abs hurt. Your magnificent work of art is winning the artistic competition. Anyone feel up to doing a stick figure drawing in a cage with an embellishment? lol I think Stormhawk needs some competition, but I think everyone has their work cut out for them! I'm tempted to print this out and hang it on my wall, JUST because it made me laugh when I was feeling really down. I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!! :)

message 27: by stormhawk (last edited Aug 03, 2011 07:20PM) (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments Glad to have brightened your day. I was laughing about that hard while I was making it.

I worked really, really hard on my picture.

See, I even tried to get perspective in it, with bars going in front of and behind the stick figure, who is actually grasping the bars.

I draw worse now than I did at 10, I think. Or maybe at 10 I wasn't as self-conscious of it.

message 28: by J.D. (new)

stormhawk wrote: "Glad to have brightened your day. I was laughing about that hard while I was making it.

I worked really, really hard on my picture.

See, I even tried to get perspective in it, with bars going in..."

One of my best friends gave me a scrapbook today. She put my name on the front and pictures of my covers with accessories that represented each book. It was so cute! I am literally going to print your picture and put it in my scrapbook! JUST because it really made me laugh when I needed one. :)

message 29: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments Awesome!

message 30: by Helen (new)

Helen It is an inspiring picture!

message 31: by Helen (new)

Helen I've failed miserably at posting my pic so have emailed it to you.

message 32: by Grace (new)

Grace | 8 comments J.D. wrote: "Mawgojzeta wrote: "Working on a poem, as I am not visually artistic (at all!). Not musically gifted, either. I might, however, change my mind (if the poem is not coming together) and opt for cho..."

Sorry, I didn't get your reply. It's not in spam either. How strange...

message 33: by J.D. (new)

Grace wrote: "J.D. wrote: "Mawgojzeta wrote: "Working on a poem, as I am not visually artistic (at all!). Not musically gifted, either. I might, however, change my mind (if the poem is not coming together) an..."

Helen wrote: "I've failed miserably at posting my pic so have emailed it to you."

Helen- I got it :)

Grace- Maybe it got lost in cyber space. lol

message 34: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) | 344 comments A writing contest darm. I always find out about these things a week before they are due. Ah well another time perhaps. I could send in a short story I have already written. hm.

message 35: by J.D. (new)

Cary wrote: "A writing contest darm. I always find out about these things a week before they are due. Ah well another time perhaps. I could send in a short story I have already written. hm."

lol It doesn't end until 11:59pm on the 15th...

message 36: by Cary (last edited Aug 15, 2011 08:00AM) (new)

Cary (Vortigern) | 344 comments Allot of my old stories got burned in a fire, along with most of my artwork. Which is why I stopped smoking 18 years ago. I just bought a new Fender tube amp I am busy rocking out as well. It sounds like I am making up excusses. I would call bullshit on me. But it is in fact the truth. Check my facebook profile (Cary Boyd Tulsa OK)its guitar city. My room is just piles of papers. I still have these stories in my mind however, and should rewrite them. They are stories of the punk rock scene in 80s Phoenix. Others have to do with a black after hours club I worked at. I have lived a very on the edge life. When I tell people stories from my life. They always tell me I should write a book. Maybe I shall.

message 37: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla VdL (dunnopris) I emailed a drawing (a bit late yes)

message 38: by J.D. (new)

pRiscilLa wrote: "I emailed a drawing (a bit late yes)"
My email says it was still the 15th, so you are okay. ;)

I'm glad to see the entries! It feels wonderful to know that each of you took the time to submit an entry! :) I am looking forward to posting the winners. :) I think I may do this contest for Caged by Damnation in October! That time it will be a copy BEFORE it's released though! :)