Amazon Kindle discussion

My Indi Pledge.

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Everly (new)

Everly Anders | 71 comments As an independent author, I feel I should be doing more to support fellow Indi writers. If we don’t support each other, how can we expect the general public to support us? I want to pledge to read two Indi books a month, but as a lot of people have said, there is a lot of crap out there. So I would love recommendations of self published books that you like. Then hopefully other people will join my pledge and get great recommendations from here. So please leave a comment with any recommendations that are NOT YOUR BOOK. I love advertising my books as much as the next person, but the whole point is to support others and get good Karma in return. So start posting, and join the pledge if you want.

Elle

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) I'm finding that about 50% of my reading lately is indie books. Some I've enjoyed lately (at least 3 stars) are:

The Meaning of Isolated Objects

The Case of the Missing Boyfriend

The Trojan Carousel

Haunting Refrain

message 3: by Everly (new)

Everly Anders | 71 comments Rachel wrote: "I'm finding that about 50% of my reading lately is indie books. Some I've enjoyed lately (at least 3 stars) are:

The Meaning of Isolated Objects

[book:The Case of the Missing Boyf..."

Thanks Rachel, I will check them out. i love hearing that your reading Indi. I hope you are enjoying it!
Elle

message 4: by Gianna (new)

Gianna | 13 comments Elle wrote: "As an independent author, I feel I should be doing more to support fellow Indi writers. If we don’t support each other, how can we expect the general public to support us? I want to pledge to read ..."

Great idea Elle! :)

message 5: by Tina (new)

Tina Hook | 2 comments I would really love to tap into more indie books myself. Thank you for these picks. If anyone wants to hop over to 'The Smart Chicks Book Club' and add some of these recommendations to our bookshelf I would be grateful.

message 6: by Karen (last edited Jul 16, 2011 02:53PM) (new)

Karen (karenwb) | 39 comments Here are some I have enjoyed.

Take the Monkeys and Run
Vestal Virgin
33 A.D.

message 7: by Claire (new)

Claire Chilton (clairechilton) I actually haven't found a bad indie book on kindle yet, so I've either been very lucky or indie authors have upped their game in terms of editing and writing lately.

This is a great thread, I'm a big YA and fantasy book fan, so here are three great indie books in that genre, which I've read, and thoroughly enjoyed recently :)

The Night Watchman Express
The Young Demon Keeper
Children of the Elementi

message 8: by Everly (new)

Everly Anders | 71 comments I am so glad everyone is likely this thread. Thanks for all the great suggestions. Keep the great books coming!
I love how many people are supporting us Indi Kids.
Elle

message 9: by Bill (new)

Bill Talcott (billtalcott) | 13 comments Burn Baby Burn by Jake Barton has been a good read. I found it at Amazon and have been reading it on the Kindle app for Android and I have been reading the last half of the story on my new Kindle. It has been much easier to read on the new Kindle.

message 10: by Helen (new)

Helen Is that an indy book?

message 11: by Bill (new)

Bill Talcott (billtalcott) | 13 comments Helen wrote: "Is that an indy book?"
It sure is. Jake Barton lives in the UK. His book took off and became rated in the top 15 over there. It was only after it became so popular as an indie book that he began to get calls from agents for representation. I first took notice of Jake Barton at the beginning of the year when I bought a Kindle for my Wife on her birthday.

message 12: by Summer (new)

Summer (paradisecity) If you like m/m fiction, I'd definitely recommend The Cranberry Hush: A Novel. It's so much better than the Harlequin-esque romances that are out there and I really enjoyed it.

message 13: by Everly (new)

Everly Anders | 71 comments Here is a review site that reviews self-published authors. You might be able to find some good ones to add to your list!

http://brazenbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Elle

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissa_wy) I absolutely LOVED... Being by T.R. Mousner , The Blood That Bonds by Christopher Buecheler , and Ain't No Sunshine by Leslie DuBois ...all three were 5 stars in my mind!!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Bill wrote: "Burn Baby Burn by Jake Barton has been a good read. I found it at Amazon and have been reading it on the Kindle app for Android and I have been reading the last half of the story on my new Kindle. ..."

Yes, I've read that and it's terrific. Highly recommend it.

message 16: by Helen (new)

Helen I would never have guessed it was an indy, and home grown! I saw the film and assumed it was American and mainstreams. Shows you should never assume anything!

message 17: by Bill (new)

Bill Talcott (billtalcott) | 13 comments Helen wrote: "I would never have guessed it was an indy, and home grown! I saw the film and assumed it was American and mainstreams. Shows you should never assume anything!"
Oh yeah, I had questions about the title as well. I've heard the name before so I looked it up. it is also the title of a book about the riots in Watts, California, back in 1965. But, if you read the book by Jake Barton you'll understand why he went with this title. You sound interested. Give it a read. It was only 99 cents when I bought it.

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 366 comments I enjoyed One, Two ... He is coming for you - she was traditionally published in Denmark, but has since moved to the US and released this one - pretty good read - a few point where she appeared to get distracted, but since english isn't her first language i'll give her major kudos

message 19: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 106 comments I really have a long list of indie titles I love.
Paranormal romance:
Forsaken By Shadow
Devil's Eye
Blood Lust (actually three novellas)
Save My Soul
YA paranormal:
Valhalla
Hush Money
Thrillers:
Impeding Justice
Final Justice
In Memory of Greed
Sci-fi:
Gabriel's Redemption
I know it's kind of a long list, but all these books really are fantastic!!

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) I'm so glad that people are willing to take a chance on indie authors! We certainly appreciate it!

I read about 50% indie authors. Lately, I've enjoyedSage: Tales from a Magical Kingdom which is fantasy and Satan Loves You which is a horror/comedy. Both received five-star ratings.

message 21: by Scott (new)

Scott (bookblogger) I have a book review blog that focuses on indie authors (primarily fantasy). Some of my favorite indie books so far are:

From a Far Land
Bakkian Chronicles, Book I - The Prophecy
The Emperor's Edge
Escaping Destiny
Black Earth: End of the Innocence
The Kinshield Legacy

message 22: by Robert (new)

Robert | 58 comments There are lots of great indie books. Here are a couple I've happened upon:

Torn
Epic: Dawn of Destiny

message 23: by Annette (new)

Annette | 2 comments Sounds like I need to read faster!

One I enjoyed was Victorine Lieske's Not What She Seems: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1453...

message 24: by M.A. (new)

M.A. Comley (melcom) | 52 comments Thank you Anne-Mhairi. ;-)

message 25: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 106 comments Mel wrote: "Thank you Anne-Mhairi. ;-)"

You're welcome. You know I think your books are awesome :D

message 26: by Frank (new)

Frank Mundo | 34 comments I've also supported indie writers, but the Kindle just makes it that much easier.

message 27: by Colby (new)

Colby (colbz) Amanda Hocking is a good indie author.

Also, I recently finished Forever Mine and it was pretty good, except for a lack of editing. I mean, not a professional editor. But I liked the story.

message 28: by Colin (new)

Colin Taber I read A Land of Ash and quite enjoyed it as a change from my normal range of fantasy and social science reading.

message 29: by Scott (new)

Scott Nicholson (scottnicholson) | 117 comments Some lesser-known indies I've enjoyed

Mahko's Knife thriller
Hudson House supernatural
The Nightmare Within horror

message 30: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Holmes (klouholmes) | 13 comments Belfast Girls by Gerry McCullough
An Embarrassment of Riches by Gerald Hansen

Both books set in Northern Ireland and Good!

Wine, Men and Cycling by Nancy Brook. She won an Indie award for this memoir.

message 31: by Scott (new)

Scott (bookblogger) I just finished The Thousand Hour Club and Zero Sight. Both are good books and Zero Sight was right up my alley. Fantastic stuff.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm just starting to pick up more indie novels. The best one I've read so far is The Cambridge List. It's a bit gruesome but definitely funny.

message 33: by Shelagh (last edited Jul 31, 2011 08:01AM) (new)

Shelagh (shelaghwatkins) | 8 comments Living by the Swamp is a delightful read for adults as well as children. It is short and only takes an hour to read, but it will make you smile!

message 34: by Katherine (last edited Jul 31, 2011 04:20PM) (new)

Katherine Hanna | 6 comments Cold Hillside is a crime novel with heart. Takes place in Britain. Lovely writing, great plot. Keeps you guessing. You need to be on your toes when you read it. Good stuff.

message 35: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Hinze (vickihinze) Two General Market Novels:

Judith Arnold's CRY UNCLE CRY UNCLE by Judith Arnold
(Women's fiction, romance)

Debra Webb's DIRTY DIRTY (Jackie Mercer) by Debra Webb
(Romantic Suspense)

message 36: by Vicki (last edited Aug 03, 2011 07:08AM) (new)

Vicki Hinze (vickihinze) Two general market romantic comedy novels by Kathy Carmichael:

Stuck on You Stuck On You by Kathy Carmichael

Kissing Kelly Kissing Kelli by Kathy Carmichael

(No graphic sex, pure fun.)

message 37: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Marshall (emwrites) | 2 comments What a wonderful thread this is. May I suggest two magnificently talented ladies -

‘In Leah’s Wake’ by Terri Giuliano Long - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/97...

And

‘Again’ by Diana Murdock - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/92...

Wishing you all a wonderful evening. x