Stephen King Fans discussion

The King Himself > Quotes by Stephen King

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 42 comments Quotes by Stephen King:

Each life makes its own immitation of immortality.

Fiction is the truth inside the lie.

French is the language that turns dirt into romance.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

God is cruel. Sometimes he makes you live.

He had a massive stroke. He died with his tie on. Do you think that could be our generation's equivalent of that old saying about dying with your boots on?

I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries.

I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses.

I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged.

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost.

No, it's not a very good story - its author was too busy listening to other voices to listen as closely as he should have to the one coming from inside.

Only enemies speak the truth; friends and lovers lie endlessly, caught in the web of duty.

People want to know why I do this, why I write such gross stuff. I like to tell them I have the heart of a small boy... and I keep it in a jar on my desk.

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.

The devil's voice is sweet to hear.

The most important things are the hardest things to say. They are the things you get ashamed of because words diminish your feelings - words shrink things that seem timeless when they are in your head to no more than living size when they are brought out.

The place where you made your stand never mattered. Only that you were there... and still on your feet.

The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool.

We make up horrors to help us cope with the real ones.

When asked, "How do you write?" I invariably answer, "one word at a time."

message 2: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Hi, Debra-

I think this is a great idea for a thread! Thank you.

Shall I contribute?

"..Done-bun-can't-be-undone.."
-Insomnia

message 3: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) | 109 comments "No one likes a clown at midnight". My favorite because it's true!

message 4: by Debra (last edited Jul 18, 2011 03:05PM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 42 comments I would love to read other quotes by sai King! Thanks for the contributions!

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Walsh | 3 comments "The road to hell is paved with adverbs" -King

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Walsh | 3 comments "If you dont have the time to read, than you dont have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that" -King

message 7: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 42 comments Goodreads has a quotes list for Stephen King which I just discovered. Pages and pages!
http://www.goodreads.com/author/quote...

Enjoy!

message 8: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 305 comments "This one scared even me".
His blurb in which of his books? First correct answer gets . . . ?

message 9: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments Tom wrote: ""This one scared even me".
His blurb in which of his books? First correct answer gets . . . ?"

I haven't read it, but I am just going to guess "IT". Just a random guess out of three of my initial thoughts.

message 10: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 305 comments nope.
Might it be one of your other two?

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (mandgoggs) I love reading King quotes. I think he is so intelligent and witty. My particular favorite is this quote about what he thought of the whole Twilight v. Harry Potter thing:

'"Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength and doing
what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it
is to have a boyfriend.

So funny..

And spot on.

http://divaliciouzbookreviews.blogspo...

message 12: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments Tom wrote: "nope.
Might it be one of your other two?"

Carrie? or Cujo?

message 13: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 305 comments You're getting closer
This is fun! Possibly frustrating for those who do not remember reading the blurb though.

message 14: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments Tom wrote: "You're getting closer
This is fun! Possibly frustrating for those who do not remember reading the blurb though."

Closer??? Hmm......

message 15: by Kathryn (last edited Mar 11, 2012 09:07PM) (new)

This is fun! Possibly frustrating for those who do not remember reading the blurb though."

Hmm..I'm going to go out on a whim..just because I'm sure its probably a book I wouldn't think of, but The Stand? haha

message 16: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Bieber | 22 comments Was it Pet Sematary?

message 17: by Dustin (new)

Dustin "Carrion Comfort is one of the three greatest horror novels of the 20th. century. Simple as that."

message 18: by Char (new)

Char I very much enjoyed Carrion Comfort. It turned me into a die hard Simmons fan until his latest book came out. (Didn't like that one much.)
I'm sticking with Simmons though and will probably buy his next one.

message 19: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Charlene wrote: "I very much enjoyed Carrion Comfort. It turned me into a die hard Simmons fan until his latest book came out. (Didn't like that one much.)
I'm sticking with Simmons though and will probably buy hi..."

He's an excellent writer, IMO!

message 20: by Ms BookAholic (new)

Ms BookAholic (missbooksaholic) | 18 comments “If you don't control your temper, your temper will control you.”
― Stephen King,Under the Dome

“There’s always someone who knows something.”
― Stephen King, Hearts in Atlantis

“I tend to scare myself.”
― Stepheh King

~`Sammy

message 21: by Kathryn (new)

What's the answeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrr?? hahaha :)

message 22: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 305 comments pet semetary

message 23: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Bieber | 22 comments Tom wrote: "pet semetary"

Yay I guessed it right :)

message 24: by Carlos (new)

Carlos (encore) I am very speculative on this quote. I can feel what he went through, but this quote sounds kinda matter-of-fact and this quote makes me feel like he is being a bit judgmental what do you guys think?
“I hated high school. I don’t trust anybody who looks back on the years from 14 to 18 with any enjoyment. If you liked being a teenager, there’s something wrong with you.”

message 25: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments Carlos wrote: "I am very speculative on this quote. I can feel what he went through, but this quote sounds kinda matter-of-fact and this quote makes me feel like he is being a bit judgmental what do you guys thi..."

Lol I didn't have a problem with my high school years, had a lot of fun. Some bad and lame times too, but it was ok. Now ages 10-13, middle school... now that is when life sucked the big one! I still shudder thinking back on those years... It was horrible!!

message 26: by Debra (last edited Aug 16, 2012 02:37PM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 42 comments High school was a mixed bag for me. Some good and some miserable times. I can see how it could have been bad for SK given that he was kinda nerdy and very poor.

message 27: by Carlos (new)

Carlos (encore) Agreed on both of you ^_^ Middle school sucked hard. And I'm just entering my senior year starting next week.

message 28: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2539 comments Mod
Middle school sucked but high school was a blast. I was stuck in a Catholic Middle school which I don't think helped.