Ecology, Biology, Evolution and Conservationism discussion

book recommendation

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda | 1 comments Fatal Invention: How Science, Politics, and Big Business Re-Create Race in the Twenty-First Century

Just read a review
http://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/revie...

Dorothy Roberts’ argues that there is absolutely no biological basis for the social and political concept of race. And the review site is offering a freebie

message 2: by Richard (new)

Richard Nelson (richardwmnelson) | 1 comments Roberts position runs contrary to Darwin's concept of "Preservation of the Favoured Races". A welcome addition to the ever growing positions against Darwinism and the evolution industry.

message 3: by Danna (new)

Danna I am very interested in Marine Biology, and I would love for someone to help me find books about it. I have got some good reads on my to-read list. I have heard Jacques Cousteau (did I spell his name right?), one of the most important marine biologists, have written some great books that even I - who is only 15 - can understand and love.
What do you say? Do you know any good fiction, non fiction, whatever - books about ocean, marine, biology of seas etc.?
Thank you,
Danna.

message 4: by Angela (new)

Angela (apalone) Danna, I just finished reading The Dolphin in the Mirror. Good book on a woman's lifetime of research with dolphins. I'm thinking of adding it to my bio 2 class as required reading next semester. Good luck!

message 5: by Danna (new)

Danna Oh, thank you so much - Angela! I find myself enjoying your recommendations every single time you recommend a book to me :) I will check it out!

Dylan&Christiana (dylanchristiana) | 1 comments I highly recommend Endless Forms Most Beautiful: The New Science of Evo Devo - good for all levels of scientific understanding.

message 7: by Leo (new)

Leo | 1 comments Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
by Jared Diamond.
Highly recommend this book, covering very broadly the impact of humans on ecology and of the ecology on the past and present societies.