ONTD Book Club discussion

Monthly Suggestions > August Book of the Month Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan (bookbrats) | 125 comments Mod
Now is the time of the month where we take suggestions for the August Book of the Month.

I'm going to suggest Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning and...hmmm.... I don't know, I'm suggested out.

Let's see some ideas!

message 2: by Justyna (new)

Justyna (blaire88) | 5 comments I would like to suggest The Help by Kathryn Stockett. There is going to be a movie based on this book with Emma Stone. I think it has a premiere sometime in August so it's a good time to read it and see how different it's from the movie ;) Also, it's a really good book :)

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 45 comments Here are some suggestions:

- Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer - It has a good literary pedigree and is being adapted into a movie.
- One Day by David Nicholls - another book adaptation starring Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturges. It's a love story and it's about growing up.
- Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. It's another future movie adaptation candidate. I started to read the book, but my short attention span got in the way. It's very lyrical and well written.
- The Code of the Woosters by P.G. Wodehouse is a good classic humor choice.

message 4: by Megan (new)

I will second One Day as a suggestion, but Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close... I really don't care for that authors style in all honesty.

message 5: by Tea (new)

Tea (quietcoastline) | 106 comments I just heard about Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close being made into a movie and I've been planning on picking that one up soon. I know One Day is really popular, but for some reason it just doesn't seem interesting to me at all. I've already read The Help but absolutely loved it. I was actually just on a local TV morning show with the station's book club talking about it!

I've also been planning on picking up Room andWorld War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War this week since no one will stop recommending them to me, so I guess I can throw those out there as suggestions.

Zoe Elizabeth (Booksatlunch)  (booksatlunch) | 52 comments I second the suggestions for One Day, Room, and World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War. I've been meaning to read all of them for some time now.

message 7: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (victoriancrumpets) | 8 comments I agree with The Help by Kathryn Stockett, as well as Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger. Those both look like really good reads!

message 8: by K. (new)

K. (aoutranc3) Ooh, The Help! It's everywhere and the premise seems more interesting than the story The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is giving me right now. :/

Just for fun, I'm going to throw in a suggestion for Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson as well!

message 9: by Megan (new)

I'll just reply here with Darkfever so people don't have to go searching for it, LOL.

Other than that, I have no ideas.

message 10: by Tea (new)

Tea (quietcoastline) | 106 comments I'll also throw in Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter. I've heard it's really good.

message 11: by Megan (new)

Only two more days to nominate books!