Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Chit Chat & All That > bookageddon 011'

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeremy (last edited Jul 16, 2011 07:18AM) (new)

Jeremy Cort (Digerati1618) | 3 comments Fahrenheit 451 happens next wednesday...

all books and publications are burned by firefighters so the party can maintain control and as one of the dissenters you must memorize a book to preserve it. what book will you choose to be?

i myself would choose 1984 by George Orwell (aka eric blair)

message 2: by Leila (new)

Leila | 20 comments Aw, I would pick 1984, too. So since that's taken.... Ummmm.... errr.... Lord of the Flies, by William Golding, for sure. Two books that made me feel hot and cold and sick all at once. Those are usually the ones that contain stuff we should want to remember. :)

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex | 118 comments I choose Goodnight Moon.

I don't think it's a good idea to entrust anything more serious to my brain.

message 4: by Leila (new)

Leila | 20 comments Lols.

message 5: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Cort (Digerati1618) | 3 comments outstanding! somehow... that is correct!!

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) The first book that pops into my mind is The Lord of The Rings trilogy. That would take a while.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Alex wrote: "I choose Goodnight Moon.

I don't think it's a good idea to entrust anything more serious to my brain."

I'm with you! I think I have that one etched in my brain already.

message 8: by Janet (new)

Janet (jangoodell) some American history text with the Declaration of Independence, Preamble & Constitution, Bill of Rights + amendments, Gettysburg Address, and MLK's "I had a dream..." speech.

message 9: by Beckey (new)

Beckey (beckeyknits) | 2 comments I'd probably pick one of my favorites. The Alchemist.

message 10: by Judy (new)

Judy Olson | 18 comments Gone With The Wind......one of my all time favorites.

message 11: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 2 comments No thought needed--Huck Finn.

message 12: by Scott (new)

Scott Smithson | 5 comments The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov, since I practically have it memorized anyway.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Scott wrote: "The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov, since I practically have it memorized anyway."

That is one of my all time favorite books. I want to reread it. How many times have you read it?

message 14: by Bollinger (new)

Bollinger | 21 comments Oooh! Hard question. It's a real toss-up between the Odyssey and The Count of Monte Cristo - 2 of my 3 favorite books. I've read them so often, I practically have big chunks of them memorized already. (Sad, isn't it?)

message 15: by L.D. (new)

L.D. | 1 comments All of Plato and maybe some more of the Greek and Roman philosophers if I could manage to squeeze them in my memory banks.

message 16: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Pryke | 2 comments I would chose Brave New World by Aldous Huxley as it is one of the books I read in school and it left a lating impression on me

message 17: by Mae (new)

Mae (melissa5626) | 53 comments This is tougher than the other question. Assuming I have to choose something not already taken, the complete works of Edgar Allan Poe. I think its important we keep him around. Someone should do Shakespeare too but I'm not sure I could remember all of Shakespeare.
I loved Fahrenheit 451 and 1984.

message 18: by Mo (new)

Mo (meaux1) I would have to choose The Grapes of Wrath

message 19: by Keri (new)

Keri Pride and Prejudice for me. :)

message 20: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3804 comments Ha Jillian! No surprise there. :-)

Thanks for uncovering this thread! I'd never seen it, but after a re-read happened to vow recently that Dandelion Wine would be my book to memorize ala Farenheit 451. I remember the end of the film, and can picture myself walking around the woods reciting:
“It was a quiet morning, the town covered over with darkness and at ease in bed. Summer gathered in the weather, the wind had the proper touch, the breathing of the world was long and warm and slow …”

message 21: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (nsmiles29) | 882 comments I would choose Howl’s Moving Castle because I love it and it makes me happy. :D It would also be easier to memorize because I've read it so many times.

message 22: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1869 comments I think I'd like to be able to recite something to children as well as to adults, so Wind In The Willows

"As he sat on the grass and looked across the river, a dark hole in the
bank opposite, just above the water’s edge, caught his eye, and dreamily
he fell to considering what a nice snug dwelling-place it would make for
an animal with few wants and fond of a bijou riverside residence, above
flood level and remote from noise and dust. As he gazed, something
bright and small seemed to twinkle down in the heart of it, vanished,
then twinkled once more like a tiny star. But it could hardly be a star
in such an unlikely situation; and it was too glittering and small for a
glow-worm. Then, as he looked, it winked at him, and so declared itself
to be an eye; and a small face began gradually to grow up round it, like
a frame round a picture.

A brown little face, with whiskers.