Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Malazan Book of the Fallen > The Bonehunters Book 1-The Thousand Fingered God

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

Maggie K | 1202 comments Mod
In this addition to the series, we head back to 7 Cities to see what has become of the Malazans that are left there...how intact is the 14th Army? Will they manage to finish off the insurrection?

We will have to leave behind Tehol and Bugg, but we are about to find out even more threads to this cats cradle...here are the nameless ones making an appearance in the prologue, along with Sargent Hellian (one of Erikson's funnier characters) and a Barathol Mekhar....can this be a relative of Kalam?

This is one of the more favorite books in this series!

message 2: by Terence (new)

Terence (spocksbro) This is the beginning of my "love affair" with Tavore Paran and the Bonehunters (aka the 14th Army).

I don't want to spoil things for the uninitiated but you can look forward to two defining confrontations - one between the 14th and the remnants of the Whirlwind at Y'Ghatan (the city where Dassem Ultor "died") and the other between Laseen and Tavore in Malaz City, which sets the Bonehunters on their journey towards a final confrontation with the Crippled God.

Good reading, everyone :-)

message 3: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

Hey Terence!
Yes-We learn so much more about Tavore here...I am excited to be reading this again!

message 4: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Maggie wrote: "In this addition to the series, we head back to 7 Cities to see what has become of the Malazans that are left there...how intact is the 14th Army? Will they manage to finish off the insurrection? ..."

SOOOOOOOOO awesome THAT EVERYONE WILL finally get to meet my favorite SE character....SGT Hellian!!!! She is the BEST!!!!!!! I even made my private email "sgthellianrocks" in honor of the one and only SGT Hellian!!!!! Hopefully you guys like her as much as I do!! :)

message 5: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

If they dont like her, are you going to cut off your arm?

message 6: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments LOLLLLLLLLLLLL....that or maybe a tit!!! Doh!

message 7: by David (new)

David (davk) Do you remember the captain of the sappers of the chain of dogs/7th army? He didn't attend to any official meetings and it was rumored that he didn't even exist. Then he finally appears somewhere in the last third of Deadhouse Gates and gets demoted by Coltaine.

Anyway, there's another mysterious soldier (*laughs*) with the rank of sergeant (?) in the 14th army who's also rumored not to exist. He gets mentioned several times during the 14th' march to Y'Ghatan. When the two heavies - Flashwit and Mayfly - were talking about him was the last time he got mentionend as far as I can remember. But they also admitted that they've got the stories from Smiles - apparently the only one who has ever seen the sergeant and is now walking around and telling people about him.

So, did I miss something? Is he real or is Smiles only messing with them or even both?

message 8: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (last edited Jul 21, 2011 12:43PM) (new)

I remember that David-it was very funny! I will have to keep my eye out for what Smiles is up to here!

I almost forgot this is where Karsa meets Samar Dev...I get such a kick out of "Witness, woman"
and also where Curdle and Telorast attach themselves to Apsalar...two silly ghosts indeed!

and Apsalar's target was Mebra...the spy who gave Kalam the book back in Deadhouse Gates??? Hmmmm, now why would the nameless ones be after him?....

message 9: by David (new)

David (davk) Mebra was also connected to Quick Ben's sister.

Looks like the Nameless Ones have somewhat lost their way and are now a group of many with everyone having different goals in mind or at least they're being manipulated like everyone else.
Shadowthrone himself was mumbling about the Nameless Ones, too, which was pretty interesting.
They obviously got infiltrated e.g. by Draconis' daughter Spite - a character I'm looking forward to read more about. She seems to know a lot more what's going on and she's more willing to intervene in the grand scheme of things than her sister Envy (especially Rake was pretty pissed that Envy didn't participate in the Chaining). Plus Spite holds a major grudge against her sister.

Speaking of Draconis and Rake: The former sent Paran to tell the latter to slay more whatsoever in order to keep the carriage - within the sword Dragnipur - moving which seemed to be very important at the time. Rake's instead relaxing in Black Coral and Paran's hanging around in Seven Cities. What the hell?

message 10: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

Yep-I think Draconus will be having a hard time!
Also of note-the meeting between Cotillion and the three bound dragons in Shadowthrone's realm. I say it makes it pretty clear here that Ammanass' throne is but a minor piece of Shadow, and there will be a lot to come from the Eleint!
So now we have to deal with Dragon politics too??? Ayiyi

message 11: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments So far Curdle and Telorast are really great! Very silly ghosts, with all sorts of random tidbits that they keep let slipping, but I don't know if any of those tidbits are trues or lies. I guess I'll just have to file all of that away for later.

Sgt. Hellian is the one who doesn't like spiders isn't she?

I was really excited to see that a lot of characters that we've already met were listed in the front. I'm excited to see some paths converging.

Karsa and Samar Dev are another great pairing.

What's this about Quick Ben's sister? I don't remember anything about him having one?

message 12: by David (new)

David (davk) Amelia wrote: "Sgt. Hellian is the one who doesn't like spiders isn't she? "

yap, that's right.

Quick Ben's sister Torahaval is first mentionend in one of the tablets Mebra was hiding. The Nameless Ones also wanted to get their hands on those tablets.

message 13: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments David wrote: "Amelia wrote: "Sgt. Hellian is the one who doesn't like spiders isn't she? "

yap, that's right.

Quick Ben's sister Torahaval is first mentionend in one of the tablets Mebra was hiding. The Namele..."

I remember the tablets, but I guess the connection hasn't been made yet. I'm a first-timer so I didn't recognize the name at all. All those little things that are briefly mentioned are probably caught better the second or umpteenth reread.

message 14: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

Yeah-Since we havent met Torahaval yet, it isnt something that would be picked up...

Then Apsalar meets up with Urko as well...if you remember we saw him a few books ago????

Also it is important to note that Tayschrenn shows up with his two bodyguards, Hattar and Kiska. Kiska is one of the main characters in Esslemont's Night of Knives for those who haven't read it yet. In Night, the importance of Y'ghatan is also explained...Dassem Ultor was betrayed by Laseen there, and purportedly killed. As is explained here in this section though, he has actually ascended...another thing I am sure we will hear a lot more about!

message 15: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Maggie wrote: "I remember that David-it was very funny! I will have to keep my eye out for what Smiles is up to here!

I almost forgot this is where Karsa meets Samar Dev...I get such a kick out of "Witness, w..."

Yeah love Karsa and Samar Dev, they are SO damn funny together!! :)

*hint, hint* From here on really pay attention to the little quotes at the beginning of each chpater!!!!

message 16: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments *hint, hint* From here on really pay attention to the little quotes at the beginning of each chpater!!!!

They seemed more relevant to the story. Always have been interesting. (I bet my brother skips every one. He really dislikes poetry and songs in the middle of books. You know that long section in LOTR about Luthien - yep he skips it and he's a huge LOTR fan.)

message 17: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments They are and there are a ton of hints in them!! But Yeah I think everybody skips them in GotM, at least I know I did!

message 18: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

I almost forgot this is where Karsa meets Samar Dev...I get such a kick out..."

Don't ya just love the romance???? Karsa sure knows how to woo....lol

message 19: by David (last edited Jul 25, 2011 02:36PM) (new)

David (davk) Maggie wrote: "Don't ya just love the romance???? Karsa sure knows how to woo....lol"

'Witness, woman!' haha

message 20: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

that seriously had me laughing!

We also meet Dunsparrow in this section. She has a really enigmatic role here....another one to keep an eye on!

and all the skykeeps in the imperial warren??? That cant be good-we KNOW these guys can fight...

message 21: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Maggie wrote: "
I almost forgot this is where Karsa meets Samar Dev...I get such a kick out..."

Don't ya just love the romance???? Karsa sure knows how to woo....lol"

Honestly I do love how Karsa is, no place in his make-up for false pretenses, so I do love how he appears to be wooing Samar! :)

As for the SkyKeeps...that was a no joke sceen and makes one wonder W-T-H is going on??

message 22: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

so what did you think of the death of Joyful Union???

I kept laughing about how Faradan Sort assigned Smiles the double load...lol

but she is COLD....and the Stormwall reference is the start of a new thread here...

message 23: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments Joyful Union's death was a surprise. I probably hadn't thought too much about that scorpion until Bottle had it out feeding. It must have been extra traumatic for Bottle considering his skills.

At least Bottle helped carry half the extra load. I'm sure he got a real kick out of the whole thing. (Until Smiles finds out why she really got the extra load.) :)

Faradan Sort is one of the leaders who might actually survive being a captain just because she is so tough and cold.

message 24: by David (new)

David (davk) I laughed out loud when Bottle then told those two soldiers (who've found a totally new scorpion to take on Joyful Union) what happend.

message 25: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

Gosh they were all so mad....

Next thing of note though is the E'resal from the past that appears...and it seems she is now pregnant! Remember how she 'stole' Trull's first seed? Hmmmm

and from your question from before David-were you talking about Nefarious Bredd???? lolol I THINK if IRC that the women use this mysterious soldier to make the other men jealous...but I could be wrong about that.

message 26: by David (last edited Jul 29, 2011 01:56AM) (new)

David (davk) Maggie wrote: "and from your question from before David-were you talking about Nefarious Bredd???? lolol I THINK if IRC that the women use this mysterious soldier to make the other men jealous...but I could be wrong about that.
"

yes, that's him, thanks! I just used the search function on the kindle and it came up with this:

"‘Bottle has some lizards,’ Smiles said. ‘Forget it,’ Bottle shot back. ‘They’re my, uh, friends.’ He flinched as the other squad members turned to regard him. ‘Friends?’ Strings asked. He scratched his beard, studying his soldier. ‘What,’ Smiles said, ‘the rest of us too smart for you, Bottle? All these confounding words we use? The fact we can read those squiggly etchings on clay and wax tablets and scrolls? Well, except for Koryk, of course. Anyway. Feeling insufficient, Bottle? I don’t mean physically – that goes without saying. But, mentally, right? Is that the problem?’ Bottle glared at her. ‘You’ll regret all that, Smiles.’ ‘Oh, he’s going to send his lizard friends after me! Help!’ ‘That’s enough, Smiles,’ Strings said in a warning growl. She rose, ran her hands through her still-unbound hair. ‘Well, I’m off to gossip with Flashwit and Uru Hela. Flash said she saw Neffarias Bredd a couple of days ago. A horse had died and he carried it back to his squad’s camp. They roasted it. Nothing but bones left.’ ‘The squad ate an entire horse?’ Koryk snorted. ‘How come I’ve never seen this Neffarias Bredd, anyway? Has anybody here seen him?’ ‘I have,’ Smiles replied. ‘When?’ Koryk demanded. ‘A few days ago. I’m bored talking to you. Your fire’s going out.’ She walked off." - Page 166 (Kindle-Edition)

and

"Mosel glanced over. ‘Bottle, isn’t it? Fourth Squad, Fid’s, right? If you’re looking for Neffarias Bredd you just missed him. A giant of a man, must have Fenn blood in him.’ ‘No, I wasn’t, Sergeant. You saw Bredd?’ ‘Well, not me, I’ve just come back, but Flashwit…’ At mention of her name the burly woman looked up. ‘Yah. I heard he was just by here. Hey, Mayfly, who was it said he was just by?’ ‘Who?’ ‘Neffarias Bredd, you fat cow, who else would we be talking ’bout?’ ‘I don’t know who said what. I was only half listening, anyway. I think it was Smiles, was it Smiles? Might have been. Anyway, I’d like to roll in the blankets with that man—’ ‘Smiles isn’t a man—’ ‘Not her. Bredd, I mean.’ Bottle asked, ‘You want to bed Bredd?’ Mosel stepped closer, eyes narrowing. ‘You making fun of my soldiers, Bottle?’" - Page 289 (Kindle-Edition)

Looks like you're right.

message 27: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments HAHAHHHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA....I just love that squad!!! Any time I turn the page and they are on it I know I'm gonna laugh! :)

message 28: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

yup-Smiles is a strange girl

It kind of threw me off when Tavore told Keneb about Dujek's army beuing broken...it seems like it happened so many books ago that it has been a while, and really they are only just now finding out about how bad it is...sad.

message 29: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments Side note: I finished Night of Knives. Very interesting insights, especially about Tayschrenn.

Now it's back to Bonehunters...

message 30: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

I am glad you liked it! Yes..you learn about HIM too! lol Not quite the evil spirit the empress likes to use him as...

I really liked this 'meeting of the minds' between Paran and Apsalar....they would make very good allies, wouldn't they?
But we also learn about this damn plague...that is going to have some serious consequences here in a bit...

message 31: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) Here I am! Slowly catching up. I cant wait to get into this one. Started at lunch time today.

message 32: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Lee wrote: "Here I am! Slowly catching up. I cant wait to get into this one. Started at lunch time today."

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH FINALLY!!! Heheheheheheehheheeeee....just kidding Lee!!! You are reading at an incredible rate my friend, I'm impressed!!!

I'm glad you're reading this book because you meet Sgt Hellian, my frigging favorite character of all books ever written!!! Let us know how you like it!! :)

message 33: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) Just finished bok one, have to say I am a little disappointed....... in the fact that I had to stop reading to go to work! OMG freakin brilliant. the attack on Y'Ghatan and escape through the underground was one I will remember for a long time.
Some great new characters.

I am still very luke warm on Ganoes and Apsalar, I find them dull and miserable; I know its a tough life, but dudes, break a freaking smile every now and then.

The Faradan Sort desertion has me frowning a bit. From her character build, I just cant see her doing that. She was to disciplined, but then again, how can say what characters will do with Erikson writing.

On to book two.

message 34: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

It shall all make sense in a moment....lol