Fans of Norah Lofts discussion

A Rose for Virtue > Rose for Virtue

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Damask (new)

Damask | 15 comments Anyone likes this book particualrly? Its a favourite of mine... Albiet I think that Hortense/Lofts is a bit too symapthetic to Josephine....She's not so inclined to twist the historical truth with Anne B for example...

message 2: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 893 comments I do like this book too--it's unusual for Norah Lofts to go outside of England with her characters but she handles this story superbly. She is quite sympathetic to Josephine, I hardly feel Josephine could have been (view spoiler) as portrayed in the book.

I didn't even know that Napoleon had stepchildren until I read this book, or how much he had achieved at such a young age.

message 3: by Damask (new)

Damask | 15 comments I do like it.. trying ot remember of other novels of hers that are set outside England...
I suppose that one might think that since Hortense is narrating she's eager to think the best of her mother and doesn't want ot see that seh was pretty definitely Barras' mistress and alos Hyppolite Chalres.. but I think its a bit much to twist it that HC was a homosexual....

message 4: by Sallie (new)

Sallie | 308 comments Don't forget Silver Nutmeg, etc. set in the Carribian Islands

message 5: by Damask (new)

Damask | 15 comments I have read one or 2 that were set soemwehre like that.. but can't remember them very well. its getting very hard to find N Loft books now!! except on Amazon...

message 6: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 893 comments Oh yes, Sallie, how could I forget Silver Nutmeg, also Scent of Cloves. Are you back - looking forward to your trip report in the Chit-Chat thread.

message 7: by Sallie (new)

Sallie | 308 comments Hi Peggy! Yes, back last week & flat on back in bed - man, gettin' old is for the birds! Will be glad to tell all - please tell me how to get to the chit-chat place. Have to sneak in here so husb doesn't know I'm sitting at the computer.

message 8: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 122 comments Damask wrote: "I do like it.. trying ot remember of other novels of hers that are set outside England...
I suppose that one might think that since Hortense is narrating she's eager to think the best of her moth..."

Norah wrote Winter Harvest, which is the story of the Donner Party and the circumstances that led them into cannibalism.

message 9: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 893 comments Sallie, look for OFF TOPIC and the thread called Chitter Chatter! Looking forward to it!!

Yes, Winter Harvest is another of NL's that is outside of the usual English setting and done so well.

message 10: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 66 comments I looked up Winter Harvest on amazon and the prices are ridiculous! hopefully I will run into a copy at a thrift store or maybe an estate sale.

message 11: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 893 comments Jackie, Ebay has some paperback copies all under $5. The hardback version of Winter Harvest is usually very expensive. Sometimes you can get a cheap copy from Better World Books; they offer free shipping

message 12: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 66 comments thanks, Peggy, I expect I will find it somewhere!